Discovery West: Mixed-Use Development Downtown By Skanska

Moore713

11 minutes ago, Moore-to-it said:

chronicle  did a piece on why Houston  shouldn't  expect  to get back into  the super tall race, and basically  talked about the FAA and airport  business 

..I went ....Houston  should  focus on density anyway, let Austin  and Dallas get into pissing  contest  about  Tallest building in Texas... what does it matter if over the next  10 to 15 years we turn our core into a dense  walkable zone.

imagine a day were Downtown, Monroe, TMC, midtown( via ion district) all bleed into each other 

Not a bad idea, but FWIW Dallas is not even in the tallest building game and has t been for many many years.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Moore-to-it said:

chronicle  did a piece on why Houston  shouldn't  expect  to get back into  the super tall race, and basically  talked about the FAA and airport  business 

..I went ....Houston  should  focus on density anyway, let Austin  and Dallas get into pissing  contest  about  Tallest building in Texas... what does it matter if over the next  10 to 15 years we turn our core into a dense  walkable zone.

imagine a day were Downtown, Monroe, TMC, midtown( via ion district) all bleed into each other 

Absolutely. Dallas is prob the most behind of all Texas cities in terms of vibrant downtown.

7 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Absolutely. Dallas is prob the most behind of all Texas cities in terms of vibrant downtown.

Ehhh, I'm as die-hard a Houston evangelist as you'll find, but I think we're still in last place in that regard. Disco Green is great, Market Square is great, the northern blocks of Main are...well, certainly vibrant.

But there are still sooo many acres of surface parking and so many lifeless parking garages here. I haven't spent much time in Dallas, so I may be wrong, but my sense from the Google Streetview machine is that it's at least more "filled out" than downtown Houston.

We're making great progress, but there's still a big mountain left to climb.

13 minutes ago, 004n063 said:

Ehhh, I'm as die-hard a Houston evangelist as you'll find, but I think we're still in last place in that regard. Disco Green is great, Market Square is great, the northern blocks of Main are...well, certainly vibrant.

But there are still sooo many acres of surface parking and so many lifeless parking garages here. I haven't spent much time in Dallas, so I may be wrong, but my sense from the Google Streetview machine is that it's at least more "filled out" than downtown Houston.

We're making great progress, but there's still a big mountain left to climb.

filled out and vibrant or not always the same thing... for example  , I see nothing  like main street in Dallas, and with the renewed interest in turning  older buildings into residential, that could be a even bigger population  boom for the DT area .

DG green continues  to have a massive  effect on it area , it presence lead to the Hilton, The new Residential beside the Hilton,   Shanka new tower( and possibly  two more) ..plus another  high rise or mid rise is planed in that area if memory serves.. the effect have created  active clusters the a majority of the time..

That includes  other parts of DT like Hermann square, that that park has become a active cluster itself..of high-rises

now with the new park ..it only logical to assume we will see at some point  it to have a effect on it immediate  area.. 

and really  there still huge swash of land on the post..it only a matter of time before a high rise or a hotel comes a knocking  wanting  to build on that land ..

My honest prediction ( DT houston  vastly surpass DT Dallas in the next decade ( baring economic  chaos) 

• Like 7

I'd definitely take density over height.  Downtown Houston continues to improve but still has a long ways to go ... especially the southern part (which has improved in some areas over the past several years).  My gym is the Downtown YMCA ... when working out you get a lovely view of an ugly, fenced in lot (Travis @ Pease) and from the parking garage you get an amazing view of Downtown's most iconic eyesore, the abandoned Days Inn. 

That all being said, Discovery West is looking so good rising above Disco Green .... that along with Parkside are such great additions to that part of Downtown. 

• Like 3