Discovery West: Mixed-Use Development Downtown By Skanska

Moore713

3 hours ago, HoustonMidtown said:

The bike lane is open back in it's original location now - no detour needed

Soooo I just went to check this out, and...not quite. The curved block from Crawford@Dallas to La Branch@Lamar is still blocked off. Not only that, but there are now construction vehicles blocking the entire block of the Polk lane from La Branch to Crawford.

If you are heading west, it's not so bad - just one block of mixed traffic. But coming back east, you basically have to dismount at La Branch, cross Lamar and then La Branch as a pedestrian, and then ride park paths to Crawford. 

It's not a long detour, but it's an annoying one.

• Like 2

On 7/22/2022 at 1:41 PM, hindesky said:

I don't see how they can attach anything between the hotel next door with such a tiny space. Assuming the material is secured from inside the new building.

pW1XVMM.jpg

KzPvr41.jpg

z1ITJJW.jpg

9wfrg6l.jpg

XCwmhFD.jpg

Now that is a fun color!

@hindesky to your point about the space between the hotel and this new building, they likely won't need to get back there at all. I don't have access to the Construction Documents, but in these situations that wall is simply a rated fire wall, and will most likely be made of CMU. I would assume it would be a Single or Double Wythe wall of CMU. Maybe they then put the Rigid Insulation on the interior side and then fur-out with 3 5/8" Aluminum Studs? Just a hunch.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

spacer.png

^^^ i for one, find it absolutely amazing... that SKANSKA can just arrive out of nowhere, and show us all... just how a state-of-the-art garage design can venture forth into actual fruition.  this looks like a very well designed/planned segment of this particular development in my view.  simply smooth... elegant... and completely beautiful.  well done SKANSKA! 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, BEES?! said:

For real! I don’t know how old you are, but I remember going to ballgames in the early 2000s and downtown felt like a major ghosttown. There has been an absolutely bonkers amount of change there. 

We went to a game recently and took the purple/greenline and were talking to some older folks who grew up in Houston but moved away. They were astounded by how different (in a good way) that whole area was. They told me about riding their bikes as kids in the neighborhoods around TMC, and when I told them about Bayou Greenways, they were really excited. They were really nice! (Even if they were rooting for the wrong team! 🙄)

I'm about to turn 36 in October. I moved to Waco for 4 years and moved back in 2001. Downtown was NOTHING compared to today. That's so awesome though! There are a few projects in the works that I think will really put downtown over the top. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, j_cuevas713 said:

It's amazing how far we've come. I was walking to the train from an Astros game and I saw a group of young kids, probably in their early 20's, walking the same direction. I overheard their conversation, basically they felt like they were in a big city, and the vibe felt very urban. Just a few years ago nothing was really surrounding the ballpark but all of the investment is paying off. Downtown is getting so large and dense, it's really becoming a hub of activity the way it should be. I expect this tower and the other two that are planned to help spur the retail district around W Dallas. 

19 minutes ago, BEES?! said:

For real! I don’t know how old you are, but I remember going to ballgames in the early 2000s and downtown felt like a major ghosttown. There has been an absolutely bonkers amount of change there. 

We went to a game recently and took the purple/greenline and were talking to some older folks who grew up in Houston but moved away. They were astounded by how different (in a good way) that whole area was. They told me about riding their bikes as kids in the neighborhoods around TMC, and when I told them about Bayou Greenways, they were really excited. They were really nice! (Even if they were rooting for the wrong team! 🙄)

Yeah it's a great vibe downtown on gameday it's great seeing all the orange around and I give Jim Crane a lot of credit. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

If Craneville comes around, that's a whole step change in development, but I echo what everyone here says. I'm 45, when I was a kid in the 80's my step father owned a family business that was located more or less directly under were I took that last picture at the corner of Jackson (now ADLA, sort of) and Polk.  The Park Shops were at the outer reaches of downtown a few blocks away, but before (and even for a while after) the GRB, that area was nowhere anyone ever wanted to be. 

• Like 5