Discovery West: Mixed-Use Development Downtown By Skanska

Moore713

• 2 weeks later...

This is probably one of the projects that is really set to really transform downtown.

And most of all, the best part of it, we finally get a chance to hand the Embassy Suites hotel's ass back to them. Literally! 😁

Edited by scarface
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, scarface said:

This is probably one of the projects that is really set to really transform downtown.

And most of all, the best part of it, we finally get a chance to hand the Embassy Suites hotel's ass back to them. Literally! 😁

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, that is among the nicest Embassy Suites in the system! (We Houstonians know not to judge a book by its cover!) Or at least it was the last time I stayed there 10 years ago. How time has flied. Or flew, as the case may be.

Edited by mattyt36

10 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, that is among the nicest Embassy Suites in the system! (We Houstonians know not to judge a book by its cover!) Or at least it was the last time I stayed there 10 years ago. How time has flied. Or flew, as the case may be.

They built a new one in downtown Amarillo across from their minor league ball park, it's actually way nicer than what you would expect from what they built the brand up to be from the beginning. The worst ES has to be Charleston, WV. Like seemingly everything in that town, it hasn't been touched since construction was completed. 

This one looks dumb, and way dumber than the rendering we got at the outset, but all's well as it's exterior is going away for all practical purposes. 

• Like 1

On 6/10/2022 at 9:37 AM, Nate99 said:

They built a new one in downtown Amarillo across from their minor league ball park, it's actually way nicer than what you would expect from what they built the brand up to be from the beginning. The worst ES has to be Charleston, WV. Like seemingly everything in that town, it hasn't been touched since construction was completed. 

This one looks dumb, and way dumber than the rendering we got at the outset, but all's well as it's exterior is going away for all practical purposes. 

Since Covid, Embassy Suites seems to have taken some of the cheese off the pizza. Among other things, the omelet bar is limited to certain days of the week and the business centers have been removed. And like a lot of other hotel chains, they will only do the rooms if you request it. At least they have breakfast...

In it's own way, I do want to thank the Embassy Suites for not developing the entire block.  By leaving the curved parcel we eventually got this nice development from Skanska.  The Hess Tower across the park is fine, but it is an example of what would of been here if a developer had purchased the entire block.  

• Like 6

On 6/15/2022 at 7:57 AM, toxtethogrady said:

Since Covid, Embassy Suites seems to have taken some of the cheese off the pizza. Among other things, the omelet bar is limited to certain days of the week and the business centers have been removed. And like a lot of other hotel chains, they will only do the rooms if you request it. At least they have breakfast...

Not that I'd go to the ES for lunch, If someone made a decent omelette downtown not at gouge the travel budget hotel prices I'd be all over it. There was a place in the Aris food hall (Bravery?) that made good ones, but that operator either flipped concepts or moved out. 

2 hours ago, Nate99 said:

Not that I'd go to the ES for lunch, If someone made a decent omelette downtown not at gouge the travel budget hotel prices I'd be all over it. There was a place in the Aris food hall (Bravery?) that made good ones, but that operator either flipped concepts or moved out. 

Atlas Diner. I was super bummed that it closed. Need an upscale diner place downtown. Richard Knight was the chef and he is very good 

• Like 4

On 6/9/2022 at 10:25 PM, mattyt36 said:

It's not even about the niceness of the hotel that I was speaking of. It was the fact that they messed up the urban continuity of Discovery Green by having the butt end of that blank back wall facing the park. That was bad planning to have the back of the structure facing an urban park. 

This Skanska development seems to be minimizing the whole E/S development and all of the design flaws that came with it.

Edited by scarface
  • Like 1