Discovery West: Mixed-Use Development Downtown By Skanska

Moore713

1 hour ago, phillip_white said:

It looks like in two weeks your photo update will introduce the EMBASSY SUITES. Well done, Skanska.

Yeah TBH I'm a little sad that I will still be able to see it haha. Meanwhile I definitely won't be able to see the astrodome anymore, which I was able to on a clear day before.

15 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

I just appreciate that everyone was ballsy enough to drive in the wrong direction on La Branch in the first rendering. And that apparently there's two way traffic on Lamar. Looks dicey!

That second rendering is a tease. I'm sure it's a placeholder - but like everyone else, I can't wait to see what else is built in the next phases around this site.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mfastx said:

Really wish some of those lots around MMP would be developed by Crane. Just embarrassing seeing the overhead shots. 

yes, what is he waiting on? I though the renderings for the "Astros Village" were going to be released at the start of the season.

Any updates?

• Like 5

4 hours ago, shasta said:

yes, what is he waiting on? I though the renderings for the "Astros Village" were going to be released at the start of the season.

Any updates?

From this Nov. 5, 2021 article - Astros owner Jim Crane said Friday that construction on a ballpark entertainment district surrounding Minute Maid Park is set to begin “probably within 12 months.”

Perhaps it's more likely they're waiting for progress on 59/69 construction?

Edited by 79ta
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, 79ta said:

From this Nov. 5, 2021 article - Astros owner Jim Crane said Friday that construction on a ballpark entertainment district surrounding Minute Maid Park is set to begin “probably within 12 months.”

Perhaps it's more likely they're waiting for progress on 59/69 construction?

With construction so soon...have we seen any renderings of this district?

21 hours ago, Twinsanity02 said:

The change in this area in the last 10 years is nothing short of astonishing. I remember the area before the George Brown. It was a wasteland. For sometime the convention center sat out there alone.

Now it is vibrant and surrounded by high rises. What a remarkable improvement.

There was a rather heartbreaking picture of the Eastex freeway under construction in the East River thread yesterday. The massive parking desert of the 1970s-1990s was apparently contiguously urban in the 1940s.

• Like 4

On 10/27/2022 at 6:45 AM, 004n063 said:

There was a rather heartbreaking picture of the Eastex freeway under construction in the East River thread yesterday. The massive parking desert of the 1970s-1990s was apparently contiguously urban in the 1940s.

Even older photos show the Frost Town neighborhood surrounding what is now MMP, with Annunciation Church's steeple sticking up among a dense cluster of two-story homes, not unlike the one that Annunciation quasi-restored/reconstructed as offices. 

I'm not sure how far the original Houston Center sky city concept went before everything went bust, but at least in renderings it stretched way out in all directions. Maybe some buildings were demolished for that along with other dynamics shut down the east side of DT. Houston kept growing, but that part was abandoned.  

• Like 1