36-Story Multifamily High-Rise At 3615 Montrose Blvd.

yaga

1 hour ago, wilcal said:

Large bike storage room *fans self*

That would seem like an amenity that would attract potential residents. Far better than humping the bike down the elevator, apologizing to all and sundry. It's even better if they have a bike vise available for maintenance.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

The density is getting real! 

Now I really wish the Disco Kroger development was something more than a wrap. At least the former Mattress Firm/Specs/Half Price Books location should also be a sustainable development. But if the Disco Kroger location would have also been a high rise, it would really have a nice affect on the area.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, thatguysly said:

Now I really wish the Disco Kroger development was something more than a wrap. At least the former Mattress Firm/Specs/Half Price Books location should also be a sustainable development. But if the Disco Kroger location would have also been a high rise, it would really have a nice affect on the area.

do you have a rendering of the Disco Kroger site wrap proposal?

4 hours ago, Dakota79 said:

I thought there would be high rises there. Too bad.

To each their own, I guess. I don't have a problem with high-rises fundamentally, but in Houston they tend to be pretty set back and generally disengaged from the street. The Southeastern building in the rendering doesn't look like anything special, but at least it helps move the street toward something a bit more like contiguity. 

• Like 4

On 8/26/2022 at 4:20 PM, jmitch94 said:

It looks set back far enough from Montrose that the trees might be kept. I really hope the trees are not cut down. 

The trees look to be in the city right-of-way.  Wouldn't that require city approval to cut them down?

On 8/30/2022 at 1:01 PM, august948 said:

The trees look to be in the city right-of-way.  Wouldn't that require city approval to cut them down?

I doubt they'll be cut unless the developer are planning to redo the sidewalk. They will probably trim the branches though, since they overhang quite far.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, kennyc05 said:

Do these oak trees tear up sidewalks in roads because they weren't correctly planted back in the day? And wouldn't the Post oaks on Post Oak Boulevard do the same one day once they got bigger?

The answer to both is yes. As we all know Live Oaks get enormous as they gain years. That is part of their beauty. This is what gives the area around Rice and The Audubon area of New Orleans it's charm. Expect the roots to move sidewalks and work around that. This should not be a difficult problem to resolve.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/3/2022 at 3:26 PM, Twinsanity02 said:

The answer to both is yes. As we all know Live Oaks get enormous as they gain years. That is part of their beauty. This is what gives the area around Rice and The Audubon area of New Orleans it's charm. Expect the roots to move sidewalks and work around that. This should not be a difficult problem to resolve.

Houston is only 186 years old.  There's no way anyone could possibly anticipate that live oaks would push up sidewalks.

10 hours ago, editor said:

Houston is only 186 years old.  There's no way anyone could possibly anticipate that live oaks would push up sidewalks.

I don't think one follows the other.  In my neighborhood there are some absolutely enormous live oaks that were planted in the late 1930s.  Most people assume they are hundreds of years old but they are not.  So sidewalks have existed longer than many of the live oaks that are interfering with them.

1 hour ago, rechlin said:

I don't think one follows the other.  In my neighborhood there are some absolutely enormous live oaks that were planted in the late 1930s.  Most people assume they are hundreds of years old but they are not.  So sidewalks have existed longer than many of the live oaks that are interfering with them.

I guess my point is that people have known for centuries that trees push up sidewalks, so the builders of sidewalks should compensate.

• Like 2