Minute Maid Park Mixed-Use Development

Brandon55

On 11/14/2021 at 3:35 PM, wilcal said:

Just read Chapter 3 Article I of the city ordinance, and you are right, Texas law allows the city to make alcohol free zones.

The default is 300 feet from any public or private school, hospital, or church, and it can be extended up to 1,000 feet.

The city does have the ability to grant variances, but it looks like it has to be voted on by city council. 

Additionally, the ordinance specifically carves out hotels in the central business district. Also, any restaurant in the CBD is carved out assuming there is no exterior signage that says that they sell alcohol and there is not outdoor seating.

Also, there's a special carve-out for sports stadiums. 

This city sometimes lol.  

IIRC, at least when the stadium was built the measurement was front door to front door, and Annunciation "moved" its main entrance to accommodate the stadium.  Again IIRC that's when Annunciation's fencing on that side went up.

Just read Chapter 3 Article I of the city ordinance, and you are right, Texas law allows the city to make alcohol free zones.

The default is 300 feet from any public or private school, hospital, or church, and it can be extended up to 1,000 feet.

The city does have the ability to grant variances, but it looks like it has to be voted on by city council. 

Additionally, the ordinance specifically carves out hotels in the central business district. Also, any restaurant in the CBD is carved out assuming there is no exterior signage that says that they sell alcohol and there is not outdoor seating.

This city sometimes lol.  

IIRC, at least when the stadium was built the measurement was front door to front door, and Annunciation "moved" its main entrance to accommodate the stadium.  Again IIRC that's when Annunciation's fencing on that side went up.

This city sometimes lol.  

This city sometimes lol.  

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

the Astros need for additional parking

Why would they need additional parking? They just built a new lot on top of the bones of one of the only bars next to the stadium, and now they’re going knock down one of the only businesses on that side of downtown for more parking? 

if that’s an actual reason that’s ridiculous 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cspwal said:

Why would they need additional parking? They just built a new lot on top of the bones of one of the only bars next to the stadium, and now they’re going knock down one of the only businesses on that side of downtown for more parking? 

Maybe they are preparing for the loss of lot B and C when the IH45 re-route begins? Those 2 lots have a bunch of parking spots.

D2MR6dX.jpg

Edited by hindesky
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, cspwal said:

No it's just the writer assuming. I honestly believe Crane prob didn't want to renew their lease on the property. He's already said he wants development all around the ballpark on all sides. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
33 minutes ago, hindesky said:

While reading an article in the Miami Standard News with an interview with Jim Crane, this little tidbit caught my eye.

"Crane talks about the change in downtown, with condos and apartments replacing vacant buildings and homes. They plan to build a hotel and have their own entertainment village “becoming more Chicago-esque than it ever has been in the past."

https://miamistandard.news/2022/05/10/as-astros-continue-to-thrive-owner-jim-crane-has-advice-for-other-cheaters-id-keep-my-mouth-shut/?amp=1

A hotel? I wonder what brand he could attract? I bet it gets built before that W hotel does.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, CREguy13 said:

I was at a breakfast week where Crane way the keynote.  He briefly mentioned their plans then too and that a hotel, a lot of entertainment/retail, and possibly high-rise apartments were a part of the plan.

I'm excited about the fact he owns several other lots all around the ball park for future phases.  This will be a very active part of downtown in the next couple years. Hopefully they release the official plans soon.

Possibly high-rise apartments? I would certainly think so...

• Like 5

13 hours ago, HOUCAJUN said:

A hotel? I wonder what brand he could attract? I bet it gets built before that W hotel does.

Maybe a Kimpton since Caydon Laneways deal didn't materialize or maybe a Grand Haytt...  All the other brands I can think of are too high end or already represented in Houston.

10 hours ago, CREguy13 said:

I was at a breakfast last week where Crane was the keynote.  He briefly mentioned their plans and stated a hotel, a lot of entertainment/retail, and possibly high-rise apartments were a part of the plan.

I'm excited about the fact he owns several other lots all around the ball park for future phases.  This will be a very active part of downtown in the next couple years. Hopefully they release the official plans soon.

What other lots does he own?

• Like 2

On 5/11/2022 at 1:28 PM, BeerNut said:

Maybe a Kimpton since Caydon Laneways deal didn't materialize or maybe a Grand Haytt...  All the other brands I can think of are too high end or already represented in Houston.

• Edition
  • Sheraton
  • Marriott (not Marquis)
  • Delta
  •   Edit:  removed Le Meridien; I forgot we already have one in the CBD
  • Design Hotels
  • Renaissance
  • Four Points
  • Conrad
  • Canopy
  • Signia
  • Doubletree
  • Tapestry
  • Tempo
  • Motto
  • Intercontinental
  • Six Senses
  • Regent
  • Vignette
  • Crowne Plaza
  • Avid
  • Radisson Blu
  • Red Radisson
  • Park Hyatt
  • Andaz
  • Hyatt Centric
  • Caption by Hyatt
  • JdV by Hyatt
  • Unbound Collection by Hyatt
  • Standard Hotels
  • Edit:  add Loews
  • Edit:  add Omni
  • Edit:  add Royal Sonesta
  • Edit:  add Sonesta
  • Edit:  add Sonesta Select
  • Edit:  add Sonesta ES Suites
  • Edit:  add Sonesta Simply Suites
Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

He'd be insane to not build residential immediately. That gives me pause. The last thing we need is another Green Street. I cannot believe those morons nixed the residential component and went with an boutique office building instead. 

• Like 8

On 5/11/2022 at 1:28 PM, BeerNut said:

I’d think Hyatt Centric would also work for a smaller-scale hotel. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Houston19514 said:
  • Edition
  • Sheraton
  • Marriott (not Marquis)
  • Delta
  • Le Meridien
  • Design Hotels
  • Renaissance
  • Four Points
  • Conrad
  • Canopy
  • Signia
  • Doubletree
  • Tapestry
  • Tempo
  • Motto
  • Intercontinental
  • Six Senses
  • Regent
  • Vignette
  • Crowne Plaza
  • Avid
  • Radisson Blu
  • Red Radisson
  • Park Hyatt
  • Andaz
  • Hyatt Centric
  • Caption by Hyatt
  • JdV by Hyatt
  • Standard Hotels

I’ll buy you a drink at the rooftop bar of the Le Meridien Houston Downtown as soon as I recover from COVID, H19514.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Houston19514 said:
  • Edition
  • Sheraton
  • Marriott (not Marquis)
  • Delta
  • Le Meridien
  • Design Hotels
  • Renaissance
  • Four Points
  • Conrad
  • Canopy
  • Signia
  • Doubletree
  • Tapestry
  • Tempo
  • Motto
  • Intercontinental
  • Six Senses
  • Regent
  • Vignette
  • Crowne Plaza
  • Avid
  • Radisson Blu
  • Red Radisson
  • Park Hyatt
  • Andaz
  • Hyatt Centric
  • Caption by Hyatt
  • JdV by Hyatt
  • Standard Hotels

A lot of those could theoretically fit, but I will literally go streaking on the field at Minute Maid Park during an Astros game if it was a Six Senses

16 hours ago, KinkaidAlum said:

He'd be insane to not build residential immediately. That gives me pause. The last thing we need is another Green Street. I cannot believe those morons nixed the residential component and went with an boutique office building instead. 

I completely agree, I think what our downtown is missing is more residents. Residents are ultimately better than tourists/ hotel users. A constant flow of people utilizing the food halls, Main Street, and other businesses in downtown. Obviously tourists are a plus, but they fluctuate based off the season and what events are in town (unlike residents). 

• Like 9

12 hours ago, Amlaham said:

I completely agree, I think what our downtown is missing is more residents. Residents are ultimately better than tourists/ hotel users. A constant flow of people utilizing the food halls, Main Street, and other businesses in downtown. Obviously tourists are a plus, but they fluctuate based off the season and what events are in town (unlike residents). 

Hotel guests are what? Probably 3-5 more times likely to eat out on a given night than a resident (for obvious reasons)? Convention business is also key to developing the tourism market. It’s fair to say a nice mix of both is essential—take a look at any city in that regard.

Edited by mattyt36

A mix is best. They could use a downtown bar scene by the stadiums. Right now you leave a Rockets or Astros game and go out by PNC or across downtown. If they build some mix use hotels/apts/condos with bars and restaurants on the bottom then you could draw crowds. 

• Like 4

On 5/13/2022 at 10:47 AM, Amlaham said:

Agree. We just have to keep building residential downtown. More residential will spur more mixed-use which will create more energy downtown. 

• Like 2

On 5/13/2022 at 10:45 PM, mattyt36 said:

Hotel guests are what? Probably 3-5 more times likely to eat out on a given night than a resident (for obvious reasons)? Convention business is also key to developing the tourism market. It’s fair to say a nice mix of both is essential—take a look at any city in that regard.

I tried to make this same point in regard to hotel vs. residential a few months ago and the chorus of respondents said that residents would have better taste in where to eat out than hotel guests. Shrug. I agree, a mix of both.

• Like 2

On 5/12/2022 at 6:15 PM, KinkaidAlum said:

At the time, there was no modern precedent for new residential construction downtown. Marvy Finger's One Park Place was in process of development in a much better location, and even Gerald Hines gave Finger credit for "creating a market" where few thought one could exist.

• Like 5

Didn't Randall Davis, with the Rice conversion to Residential, along with a few other pave the way before Fingers?

Plus, how many here remember the once proposed residential high rise on the block on Main that used to house a suburban style McDonalds?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

I tried to make this same point in regard to hotel vs. residential a few months ago and the chorus of respondents said that residents would have better taste in where to eat out than hotel guests. Shrug. I agree, a mix of both.

On top of that basic fact, does anyone have any idea of how many residential units downtown are rented/owned as second home "pied-à-terres"?  I know it at least used to be a significant enough thing at One Park Place.

A bunch of newer stadiums are going towards the entertainment adjacent commercial hub, moving away from the older stadium surrounded by parking. But from what I've seen, the Cardinals and Texas Rangers and Diamondbacks etc set up is very game day centric. They tend to be as almost empty other times. But the San Diego Petco Stadium is very interesting. Very little stadium parking and adjacent to an existing entertainment district. Even the Tony Gwynn Park shifts from a neighborhood park to part of the stadium with the opening and closing of gates. So it is available to the community. I hope whatever Crane does is not just a Minute Made asset, but is a city asset.

• Like 8

43 minutes ago, Brooklyn173 said:

A bunch of newer stadiums are going towards the entertainment adjacent commercial hub, moving away from the older stadium surrounded by parking. But from what I've seen, the Cardinals and Texas Rangers and Diamondbacks etc set up is very game day centric. They tend to be as almost empty other times. 

I was in Phoenix a month ago, luckily when the Astros were there, so I saw the Chase Field setup, which I didn't remember from before.  Do those essentially just operate as outside-of-the-park concessions owned by the team?  If so, yes, please, none of that.

The Reds stadium has some decent stuff around it.  Seems like the proximity to the Convention Center should help bring year-round foot traffic.

And, knowing Tilman to be the competitive guy he is, hopefully he'd do something for the Toyota Center, with the caveat that he doesn't own any of the surrounding land, of course.