Minute Maid Park Mixed-Use Development

Brandon55

17 hours ago, CREguy13 said:

Just an observation, but I find it interesting the new garage planned on West side of ADLA shows a skybridge to the large parking lot that butts up against the Marriot Marquis... I forgot who owns that lot, but would be really neat if Crane had his eyes on that huge parking lot for future expansions.  

Louis Macey Investments (or a related entity)

• Like 1

On 11/9/2023 at 11:01 PM, steve1363 said:

If the Astros are looking at Texas Live or the Battery, then that’s their problem.  Why look at a suburban development for an urban stadium?  That makes zero sense.

The Astros are looking at sports mixed use development trend as a whole. Texas Live & The Battery are just a few examples of this trend, not the inspiration. And most of these developments include the oversized bar element like at Xfinity Live in South Philly, which Astros fans might recognize as the road game watch party host from last year’s World Series. This trend is not only limited to baseball, but is found throughout sports, from Patriot Place (NFL) to North Station (NBA & NHL). And it’s been a trend since Petco Park’s outfield neighborhood that was constructed with the park in 2004. The Astros are simply doing due diligence in looking at what has succeeded and what hasn’t as they plan the venue. They don’t even have an architect of record yet for the project. 

Edited by tigereye
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, tigereye said:

The Astros are looking at sports mixed use development trend as a whole. Texas Live & The Battery are just a few examples of this trend, not the inspiration. And most of these developments include the oversized bar element like at Xfinity Live in South Philly, which Astros fans might recognize as the road game watch party host from last year’s World Series. This trend is not only limited to baseball, but is found throughout sports, from Patriot Place (NFL) to North Station (NBA & NHL). And it’s been a trend since Petco Park’s outfield neighborhood that was constructed with the park in 2004. The Astros are simply doing due diligence in looking at what has succeeded and what hasn’t as they plan the venue. They don’t even have an architect of record yet for the project. 

Are you speculating or do you work with the Astros?

On 11/13/2023 at 7:55 PM, steve1363 said:

Are you speculating or do you work with the Astros?

1. I do not work for the Astros. 

2. This isn’t rocket science. It’s sports franchises looking at what other franchises have done successfully and attempting to replicate that success or exceed it. Teams do this all the time in every league, whether it’s planning a new stadium or mixed use development. And the MLB has numerous examples throughout the league the Astros have probably already visited as they plan their own iteration. 

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

Just now opening up in Kansas City:

Pennway Point | Pennway | 2500 West Pennway Street, Kansas City, MO, USA

^Something like this, at the end of Avenida, is what I'd hoped for, for the Minute Maid mixed-use site.  Fam. Ly. Attraction(s).

See also/again St. Louis' Union Station:

St. Louis Union Station | St. Louis, MO (stlouisunionstation.com)

For adjacent to Minute Maid, however, I'd instead employ an R80XL (by Bussink/Chance), however to up the game to match New York City's/Munich's wheel, and get ours centered at an angle on the Avenida sight line:

R80XL — BUSSINK®

^AstroWheel?

Edited by txtiger
  • Like 2

On 11/7/2023 at 9:09 PM, monarch said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

^^^ dallas brand spanking new renders for their ($3 billion + civic center) due to be completed 2028.  this ULTRA MAGNIFICENT behemoth shall bury the houston george r. brown convention center deep into the proverbial sand.

spacer.png

^^^ not one, but two new PICKARD CHILTON designed towers slated for downtown dallas.

spacer.png

^^^ GOLDMAN SACHS's new financial campus slated for dallas includes new hotels, condos, etc... can houston DARE to incorporate such a MAGNIFICENT financial campus such as this?  heck, we couldn't even construct the MCNAIR campus on POST OAK BLVD.

spacer.png

^^^ the new renders of the proposed DALLAS INTERNATIONAL DISTRICT.  heck, this appears very similar to houston's TMC HELIX PARK...

I have seen various angles of this proposal and zooming in I am not impressed once I get past the towers.

Dallas already has a poor street grid, even in its downtown. The proposals for this area are even more poorly integrated.

Further, this looks very suburban oriented. More like suburban office parks than the primary downtown of the 4th largest metro in the country.

GRB already feels more urban than KBH, and GRB will remain more urban even if all of this is built.

The Dallas convention proposal, as some have already mentioned is just a proposal. I like that Dallas thinks big, but the final results won't be as planned. And at best the area looks to be more like the Post Oak area than in a downtown. Looking at it again, it looks even less urban than Post Oak. The ground level of these buildings look like buildings you would find in Westchase, but definitely not a major downtown.

I am craving for glimpses of a more robust Astroville, but I just haven't seen enough to judge. My whacky dream for the area is to take the Astros/space theme and run away with it. Space ship shaped buildings, moving skywalks, space related restaurants, domed covered walkways with constellations, rides. I mean just pile on the space related cheese. Like these: 

futuristic-city-with-skyscrapers_863013-

futuristic-aicontrolled-city-with-effici

Dunno how they would tie it in to the ballpark, but they could make it work.

• Like 6

On 12/23/2023 at 11:48 AM, HoustonIsHome said:

I have seen various angles of this proposal and zooming in I am not impressed once I get past the towers.

Dallas already has a poor street grid, even in its downtown. The proposals for this area are even more poorly integrated.

Further, this looks very suburban oriented. More like suburban office parks than the primary downtown of the 4th largest metro in the country.

GRB already feels more urban than KBH, and GRB will remain more urban even if all of this is built.

The Dallas convention proposal, as some have already mentioned is just a proposal. I like that Dallas thinks big, but the final results won't be as planned. And at best the area looks to be more like the Post Oak area than in a downtown. Looking at it again, it looks even less urban than Post Oak. The ground level of these buildings look like buildings you would find in Westchase, but definitely not a major downtown.

I am craving for glimpses of a more robust Astroville, but I just haven't seen enough to judge. My whacky dream for the area is to take the Astros/space theme and run away with it. Space ship shaped buildings, moving skywalks, space related restaurants, domed covered walkways with constellations, rides. I mean just pile on the space related cheese. Like these: 

futuristic-aicontrolled-city-with-effici

Dunno how they would tie it in to the ballpark, but they could make it work.

Pretty sure all of those proposals, other than the Convention Center one aren't happening.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/18/2023 at 10:03 AM, txtiger said:

Something like this:

Astros Mixed Use Site.jpg

Long-time lurker…first post

does somebody have a similar map handy that shows lots owned by the sports teams? Swear I’ve seen one on here before. 

there’s an odd amount of inefficient surface lots adjacent to both stadiums. I think earlier in the thread it was mentioned something was happening with Incarnate Word’s parking lot

• 3 weeks later...
22 hours ago, hindesky said:

12 U.S. markets where entertainment districts are under consideration or construction.

https://www.bdcnetwork.com/12-us-markets-where-entertainment-districts-are-under-consideration-or-construction

Am I missing something or is Houston not on there? Or is the point that the Astros are still so far away that they aren't even considered to be under consideration yet?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, X.R. said:

Am I missing something or is Houston not on there? Or is the point that the Astros are still so far away that they aren't even considered to be under consideration yet?

Maybe it's because all of these absolutely dwarf what has been proposed for MMP!  🤣

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

• 2 months later...
On 12/18/2023 at 8:53 AM, txtiger said:

Just now opening up in Kansas City:

Pennway Point | Pennway | 2500 West Pennway Street, Kansas City, MO, USA

^Something like this, at the end of Avenida, is what I'd hoped for, for the Minute Maid mixed-use site.  Fam. Ly. Attraction(s).

See also/again St. Louis' Union Station:

St. Louis Union Station | St. Louis, MO (stlouisunionstation.com)

For adjacent to Minute Maid, however, I'd instead employ an R80XL (by Bussink/Chance), however to up the game to match New York City's/Munich's wheel, and get ours centered at an angle on the Avenida sight line:

R80XL — BUSSINK®

^AstroWheel?

Just announced/or acknowledged in the brand-new May edition of Amusement Today, for Downtown San Antonio:   A trend on which Houston is sleeping, I'm telling you...  Don't know why something like this couldn't anchor both Avenida Houston and be a mixed-use gateway to Minute Maid Park:

ICON Experiences San Antonio.jpg

• Like 3

I saw that he plans to start at the end of the '24 season.

"Astros unveil planned entertainment district outside MMP

November 12th, 2023

Giles Kibbe, Astros senior vice president and general counsel, said the team hopes to break ground following next season."

https://www.mlb.com/news/astros-entertainment-district-minute-maid-park

It seems that one thing our Major League Baseball and football teams have in common is their owners are not very good on the development end. I also think Crane made a terrible mistake in getting rid of his G.M> All the guy did was got them to the A.L. Championship series. I know their pitching has had problems but it now seems there is a lot of turmoil on the team. No love. If it aint broke don't fix it. Is Abreu getting ready for social security? I bet this affects their plans for moving forward on their village plans.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hindesky said:

I saw that he plans to start at the end of the '24 season.

"Astros unveil planned entertainment district outside MMP

November 12th, 2023

Giles Kibbe, Astros senior vice president and general counsel, said the team hopes to break ground following next season."

https://www.mlb.com/news/astros-entertainment-district-minute-maid-park

Well, good news for HAIF, at the current pace, this season will end a month earlier than last….

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 3

9 hours ago, 004n063 said:

...maybe it's just me, but...maybe yes? I have no idea what this is supposed to mean .

^^^ slow... lethargic... snail's pace... turtle's pace... constipation mode... geriatric's pace... slow motion... freeze frame... ketchup in a bottle's pace... you know, the very standard for houston city officials never getting things done unlike other big cities within our great state.  It's nowhere near ROCKET SCIENCE... 

• Like 1