Minute Maid Park Mixed-Use Development

Brandon55

1 hour ago, bookey23 said:

I think the league is interested in more expansion teams, but from what I understand Quebec City is very much next in line for a team. Perhaps Houston could get one too if they want to keep the conferences balanced

Wow really? I haven't heard anything about expansion in Canada. 

• Like 1

On 3/30/2023 at 10:52 AM, CREguy13 said:

I know this is off topic from MMP, but to expand on my above comment: imagine if there were some movement behind the scenes to build a brand new state-of-the-art downtown arena to officially lure away the NHL Coyotes to Houston? 

Phoenix is trying to block Tempe's plans for a new stadium, as the Coyotes are currently playing in ASU's arena that seats 4600 people... A brand new stadium could close the deal, if things have been quietly progressing.

NHL, NBA, MLB, MLS all downtown? One can dream!

Article from yesterday:

https://frontofficesports.com/phoenix-looks-to-block-tempes-2-1b-deal-with-coyotes/

Don't forget returning the WNBA to Houston. The Comets won four championships in a row when the league started operations. But they couldn't keep the team from moving to Tulsa.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, toxtethogrady said:

Don't forget returning the WNBA to Houston. The Comets won four championships in a row when the league started operations. But they couldn't keep the team from moving to Tulsa.

The Comets disbanded (in 2008).  The Tulsa team relocated from Detroit (and later relocated to Arlington, TX).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tigereye said:

I’m going to disagree here. Sure, most sports venues in DFW might be a better quality design on their own as an individual building. But Houston actually has a much better master plan for all of the venues as a whole. MMP, Toyota Center, and She’ll Energy Stadium are all situated within a few blocks of each other. Discovery Green is directly in the middle of all of this, like a uniting force between all of these venues, something I used heavily during the Final Four Fan Fest (air conditioned main hall). And soon a whole freeway will go underground, stitching these areas together. With the potential for mixed use development by the Astros (and maybe the Rockets) all of the elements are coming together to build an active sports, convention, and entertainment district that not many cities in America can boast having. 

Also having NRG Stadium 7 miles away (still technically inside the loop) connected by rail is a much better setup then Arlington is for the Cowboys and Rangers being 20 miles from Dallas, 15 miles from FTW with no mass transportation at all. Arlington taxpayers will pay for new sports venues but paying for mass transit options is too big of an ask, which seems beyond ludicrous. 

Nope urban core is better, more centrally located for everyone in the region.

^^^ i see you, and i can certainly comprehend your sentiment here @tigereye  however, my initial statements were never a lesson in HOUSTON SPORTS VENUE GEOGRAPHY.  my initial sentiment was, is... always regarding the actual QUALITY, PLANNING, and CONSTRUCTION of the actual VENUES themselves.  you have initiated a very eloquent illustration of the GEOGRAPHICAL attributes regarding houston's said venues.  however, the geographical or CLOSENESS of the venues inside HOUSTON PROPER, doesn't necessarily mean that these venues are indeed qualitative and world class.  their not.

IMO, all of our current sporting venues SUCK... except for the SHELL ENERGY STADIUM.  the new ownership of SHELL ENERGY STADIUM, harbor no issues with taking the full initiative, and maintaining their respective WORLD CLASS stadium with full qualitative... EVERYTHING.  the stadium is simply MAGNIFICENT.  brilliant in design, construction, and overall quality... and is obviously aging quite gracefully.  now THIS... is what my initial sentiment regarding houston's sporting venues is all about...

Edited by monarch
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, tigereye said:

it will be interesting to see how the Texans and Rodeo renovate to keep up with Mercedes-Benz Stadiums of the world today. (I’d guess this might occur sooner ahead of the World Cup, FIFA doesn’t allow World Cup matches on turf so NRG will need to install grass by 2026) 

Interesting about needing grass for the World Cup.  I had not noticed that.  On further inquiry, it turns out Eight of the 16 venues chosen to host World Cup 2026 games have artificial-turf fields. Interesting article from the Philadelphia Inquirer.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, monarch said:

^^^ i see you, and i can certainly comprehend your sentiment here @tigereye  however, my initial statements were never a lesson in HOUSTON SPORTS VENUE GEOGRAPHY.  my initial sentiment was, is... always regarding the actual QUALITY, PLANNING, and CONSTRUCTION of the actual VENUES themselves.  you have initiated a very eloquent illustration of the GEOGRAPHICAL attributes regarding houston's said venues.  however, the geographical or CLOSENESS of the venues inside HOUSTON PROPER, doesn't necessarily mean that these venues are indeed qualitative and world class.  their not.

I disagree that they all “suck.” The Juice Box is great. Lots of natural light, good skyline view to the west, comfortable concourse, pretty attractive exterior style drawing from Old Union Station.

The Toyota Center is just mediocre. It’s an okay place to catch a game. It’s exterior design has all the charm of a suburban Best Buy.

NRG………okay, you got me there.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, tigereye said:

...Could it be a dramatic new glass exterior facade like Cleveland’s Rocket Mortgage Fieldhouse...

I don't think that it could be stated enough that one of the standout features of the Summit was the glass facade. I can't count how many times I would drive by the Summit in the evening and see people walking around with the lights on inside and want to be a part of whatever was happening.

architecturally, it may have been a bunch of beige boxes with dark glass facade, but it absolutely seemed to always want to invite you in.

if they could do something similar to Toyota center, that would make it worlds better in my estimation.

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, samagon said:

I don't think that it could be stated enough that one of the standout features of the Summit was the glass facade. I can't count how many times I would drive by the Summit in the evening and see people walking around with the lights on inside and want to be a part of whatever was happening.

architecturally, it may have been a bunch of beige boxes with dark glass facade, but it absolutely seemed to always want to invite you in.

if they could do something similar to Toyota center, that would make it worlds better in my estimation.

Actually, there are quite a few windows facing the streets on Toyota Center.  I happened to notice it this weekend when I was downtown for the March Madness Music Fest.  Walking by Toyota Center, it was easy to see people inside, letting us know there was something going on there as well, and seeing the crowd of people flocking to the front entrance was inviting as well.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It’s interesting how people on this forum are lauding Shell (former BBVA) Stadium.  I’ve never been in it but all I’ve ever heard is it’s a sauna with no air-flow for games.  Was that flaw corrected?  It is a nice looking stadium, I’ll admit.

On Sirius XM channel 84 this weekend I was disappointed by the hosts comments that “he couldn’t get a vibe for how many out of town fans were attending the games because ‘all the venues and hotels are so far apart’”. He gave no credit for all the Discovery Green events which looked great on TV.  I guess development around NRG really is needed.  People want activity around the stadium.

MMP is wonderful and the area is only getting better!

• Like 2

Hopefully there's some bylaw stating neither Astros nor Texans shall be permitted to move from their current venue until their retractable roofs are fully utilized. It's sad how little they're open.

On the other hand, the Rockets looking ahead seems reasonable. They called The Summit home for 29 years and are now at 19 with the Toyota Center. If building a new stadium takes five to seven years then planning for the next arena should begin relatively soon?

Edited by 79ta
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, steve1363 said:

It’s interesting how people on this forum are lauding Shell (former BBVA) Stadium.  I’ve never been in it but all I’ve ever heard is it’s a sauna with no air-flow for games.  Was that flaw corrected?  It is a nice looking stadium, I’ll admit.

I was only in it when the USWNT was here a summer or two ago, and I sweat through everything just sitting there. It was brutal. There are big ass fans up under the awning, but I couldn't feel them towards the bottom of the upper level. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, steve1363 said:

On Sirius XM channel 84 this weekend I was disappointed by the hosts comments that “he couldn’t get a vibe for how many out of town fans were attending the games because ‘all the venues and hotels are so far apart’”. He gave no credit for all the Discovery Green events which looked great on TV.  I guess development around NRG really is needed.  People want activity around the stadium.

MMP is wonderful and the area is only getting better!

I was out and about all weekend and I spotted out of town fans EVERYWHERE. He must just not be a fan of the city and that’s ok. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I'm trying to get an understanding of when people say "far apart." I've travelled to other cities where I had to take transit to access another part of the city that wasn't close to the downtown. And not once was I like, "Man this sure is far." I feel like some of that criticism is nonsense, especially when the Red Line takes you straight to NRG. Downtown was fun this weekend, so I don't get it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Not sure how it worked this year but in years past, two team hotels were downtown and two were in the Galleria area. If you got stuck at the Westin Oaks as a team hotel, I could see how it would suck. You'd need bus transfers for everything for your cheer/band/dance teams as well as alumni events. I'm hoping all four were downtown this year as it seems as if Hyatt, Hilton Americas, Marriott Marquis, and one other could do the trick. But it sure would be nice to get that W built and the Astros hotel and in the future all 4 team hotels could be near Discovery Green.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LosFeliz said:

Not sure how it worked this year but in years past, two team hotels were downtown and two were in the Galleria area. If you got stuck at the Westin Oaks as a team hotel, I could see how it would suck. You'd need bus transfers for everything for your cheer/band/dance teams as well as alumni events. I'm hoping all four were downtown this year as it seems as if Hyatt, Hilton Americas, Marriott Marquis, and one other could do the trick. But it sure would be nice to get that W built and the Astros hotel and in the future all 4 team hotels could be near Discovery Green.

Yeah all 4 were downtown this year. They used the JW Marriott on Main, AC Hotel on Main, The Marriott Marquis, and the Hilton. The city also put vinyl stickers on the windows showing which team was staying where. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, LosFeliz said:

I know UConn cheer/band/dance was at the Magnolia downtown

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Could be that those radio hosts were stuck at NRG away from the action?  Does anyone know where the media stayed?  I guess it was Westwood One Radio that covered all the games.

Remember the group of teams playing did not make a buzz nationally.  Apparently the men’s final 4 was the opposite of the women’s final 4 where Caitlin Clark was the undisputed star of the tournament.  The announcers said they felt like they were defending the men’s college game all week.  The announcer made the comment in that context…said he could not get a feel for the excitement about the men’s games.  This was about 2:00 Saturday afternoon before the gates were open at NRG.

I saw a tweet today that the games were a windfall for the city of Houston…so there’s that.

56 minutes ago, Sunstar said:

I feel like this is par for the course for any big sporting event. Media personalities come into your town and complain. If it were in New York someone would complain how crappy the subways were (they are but that’s missing the point). 

For me the proof is in all the major events we are getting. The Superbowl, two NCAA final fours, a national championship, and a World Cup venue. This isn’t just luck. This is due to a sustained effort to build out our sporting venues, our transit connecting events, and most importantly our urban core. This means a lot more than some random politician or radio personality ragging on us with vague insults.

I think that's largely correct. But most cities just shrug it off.  In Houston we wallow in it.  It's like we can't get enough of the abuse.

• Like 6

On 4/6/2023 at 3:37 PM, j_cuevas713 said:

Yeah all 4 were downtown this year. They used the JW Marriott on Main, AC Hotel on Main, The Marriott Marquis, and the Hilton. The city also put vinyl stickers on the windows showing which team was staying where. 

The AC Hotel had whichever team was the Owls.  Something out of Florida, I think.

On 4/8/2023 at 10:57 AM, Sunstar said:

I feel like this is par for the course for any big sporting event. Media personalities come into your town and complain. If it were in New York someone would complain how crappy the subways were (they are but that’s missing the point). 

For me the proof is in all the major events we are getting. The Superbowl, two NCAA final fours, a national championship, and a World Cup venue. This isn’t just luck. This is due to a sustained effort to build out our sporting venues, our transit connecting events, and most importantly our urban core. This means a lot more than some random politician or radio personality ragging on us with vague insults. 

You nailed it! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1