Heights Marketplace: Retail Center At 428-516 W. 19th St.

HeightsGuy

Went to Shade for New Year's Eve dinner and noticed a Thai Spice sign on the corner of 19th and Nicholson across from Collina's. I have never eaten there, does anyone have an opinion?

That is great news. Thai Spice is really good. There lunch buffet is excellent, costs a little more but well worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, the place is open and the food is pretty good. Like any restaurant though they are definitely going through their opening issues -- and then some.

We went in knowing that things were most likely going to get messed up (which they did) so it wasn't a big deal. I'm sure they'll get all this stuff worked out in a couple of weeks. But if you're visiting this place, definitely go with some patience.

Like Collina's this place is also BYOB - which is a nice bonus....

McCain's Market has a small coffee bar. They also have a small selection of pastries. Like anywhere, I'm sure if they do well they will expand their offerings!

Yes they should do well. They need to expand their hours and prepared foods. They will have to establish a lunch trade to survive. Can't wait to check out the new Thai Spice. I'll give them a few weeks to work out their opening day bugs out.

Yes they should do well. They need to expand their hours and prepared foods. They will have to establish a lunch trade to survive. Can't wait to check out the new Thai Spice. I'll give them a few weeks to work out their opening day bugs out.

I agree about the prepared foods. While the selection of oils and vinegars is great, I only need to buy those items every so often. I would love to see them do some cold, prepared salads- the kind of things I want to grab on the way home from work...

Too many people go to a restaurant when it 1st opens, get angry and never go back. Nice to know there are some people out there who understand the growing pains of a new place :)

I agree about the prepared foods. While the selection of oils and vinegars is great, I only need to buy those items every so often. I would love to see them do some cold, prepared salads- the kind of things I want to grab on the way home from work...

Too many people go to a restaurant when it 1st opens, get angry and never go back. Nice to know there are some people out there who understand the growing pains of a new place :)

I wonder if this would be feasable for McCain's Market. Make a Caninos run in the AM and set up a produce and flower section in the front, like those markets in NYC. That is assuming they aren't planning on tables out front.

There is another little place opening up at 11th and Shepherd called Dragon Bowl. Looks like Chinese fast food, which may seem cheesy at 1st but is something Houston lacks that most people in other cities live on. I think that's the perfect location for those kinds of restaurants. I don't care what anyone says- I'd be devistated in Popeye's ever left the Heights! :-)

I wonder if this would be feasable for McCain's Market. Make a Caninos run in the AM and set up a produce and flower section in the front, like those markets in NYC. That is assuming they aren't planning on tables out front.

Couple of things -

1. Has anyone been to Thai Spice on 19th yet? Is it good? Can you really bring your own bottle of wine?

2. Stopped by McCain's Market about 2 weeks ago just to try out their coffee (big addict). Coffee was good, nothing spectacular. Nice place, but I think they will have to make some dramatic changes to get enough business to stay. For example, if I want to cook dinner tonight, I could stop by there for the main course (chicken, fish, etc), but then I'd still have to go to a conventional grocery store to get the rest of the meal (veggies, salad, wine, etc). I think they may do better to get into more deli/specialty items, sort of like the original Antone's on Taft used to do. Try to get more lunch business, then they wouldn't have to expand their ours.

3. For the best coffee in town, try El Rey on Washington and Shepherd or Ella and 34th. Their lattes are totally addicting.

ThaiSpice on 19th...

We went during the week (Tuesday evening). The food is trendy Thai cuisine.

1. The royal dumplings were quite good

2. Spring rolls were fair

3. Green and yellow curries were fair -- veggies were under cooked

4. Hot tea was warm at best and had no flavor

5. It offers BYOB/BYOW. It has a service charge per person of $ 1.50

I know the place just opened and it probably needs time to sync up. I will try it again in the near future.

P.S.: We finally tried the restaurant "Bamboo House" on 540 Waugh Dr. It was excellent.

Gotta plug Vietnam Restaurant on 19th.... outstanding food... family owned... family recipes... Marissa and Victor are the best out on the floor and Danny will prepare your food... got questions about things or want to make some slight changes and he'll do it for you.... he has even whipped up some family recipes not on the menu for my wife before..

Gotta plug Vietnam Restaurant on 19th.... outstanding food... family owned... family recipes... Marissa and Victor are the best out on the floor and Danny will prepare your food... got questions about things or want to make some slight changes and he'll do it for you.... he has even whipped up some family recipes not on the menu for my wife before..

Tried Thai Spice on Saturday night. BYOB policy is great. Ginger Beef was excellent. Chicken coconut soup (Tom Kai Gai?) was very good.

Vietnam Restaurant is very good. Have only been a couple of times, but tried to go again 2 weekends ago and the place was packed!! Gotta go back!

Couple of things -

3. For the best coffee in town, try El Rey on Washington and Shepherd or Ella and 34th. Their lattes are totally addicting.

I'll add my 'El Rey' plug: they have the best coffee and best price in town. Not to mention some really tasty food. The tortas (sandwiches) are one of my favorites - they are huge and a great price.

I'm happy about Thai Spice. I've been a fan of their restaurant since I went to a cooking class at Fiesta taught by the owner(?) a few years back.

What I'm looking for in the Heights is a good Vietnamese sandwich like those in Midtown (Les Givrals, etc). Anyone know if Vietnam on 19th serves those?

Vietnam Restaurant on 19th is great. The service and food is excellent.

I seldom stray from the following:

1. Spring rolls

2. Beef Pho...xtra mint

3. Cafe Su Dat

I am not sure if they serve those delicious sandwiches. The fresh, French bread is great. Add slice jalape

It's the same building that has Le Bec Fin cafe. At the end of the long hallway is a small restaurant (I believe they call themselves the original Les Givrals) that has far better sandwiches.

I have been trying to find this place for years. Thanks for the tip on how to find it.

Skip Les Givrals in midtown if you want a really great Banh Mi (I believe that's how those Vietnamese sandwiches are spelled) - but go across the street to the Hoa Binh shopping center. It's the same building that has Le Bec Fin cafe. At the end of the long hallway is a small restaurant (I believe they call themselves the original Les Givrals) that has far better sandwiches. Definitely try the grlled pork sandwich - all fresh carrots, cucumber, jalapenos, and really tasty french bread. No idea how they can only charge $2 (yes it is real pork)

This place is definitely off the beaten path -- but very worth the trip. It looks a little run down -- but I've never had any issue with the food and I've eaten hundreds of their sandwiches over the years.

On another note I hear Cali which is on the corner of anita and travis has quite good sandwiches as well.

Thanks for the tip! I'll try to get to the 'original Les Givral' soon.

Also, I'm a big fan of Cali, but had a few not-so-great meals there in the past year or so that made me not go out of my way to eat there. When I was first introduced to this restaurant about 4 or 5 years ago, I thought their sandwiches were far more tasty than Les Givral. Now, I'm not so sure.

• The title was changed to Thai Spice Coming To 19th St.
  • The title was changed to ZapVor By Thai Spice At 460 W. 19th St.
  • 6 months later...
  • The title was changed to Heights Marketplace: Retail Center At 428-516 W. 19th St.

Photos of 502-516 W 19th St are posted below. The photos are of a portion of Heights Marketplace included in leasing materials.

502-516 W 19th St is located on the 506 W 19th St parcel.

Heights Marketplace is a shopping center at 428-516 W 19th St.

Current tenants located here:

• Collina's Italian Cafe - 502 W 19th St

• Vacant - 506 W 19th St

• Menchie's - 512 W 19th St

• Vacant - 514 W 19th St

• Penzys Spices - 516 W 19th St

https://shopcompanies.com/properties/heights-marketplace

orEFdXJ.jpg

uOeI1ni.jpg

5ODkjy9.jpg

qEQr7UH.jpg

xtIpaig.jpg

Street View images of 428-460 W 19th St are posted below. The photos are of a portion of Heights Marketplace snapped between January 2023 and April 2023.

428-460 W 19th St is located on the 452 W 19th St parcel.

Heights Marketplace is a shopping center at 428-516 W 19th St.

Current tenants located at 428-460 W 19th St:

• TDECU - 428 W 19th St

• Eye to Eye - 432 W 19th St

• Vacant - 436 W 19th St

• The Corner Vet -440 W 19th St

• SportClips - 444 W 19th St

• uBreakiFix  - 446 W 19th St

• The UPS Store - 448 W 19th St
  • ZapVor - 460 W 19th St

AYTX5Wf.jpg

AZN8Upj.jpg

x0sa9ho.jpg

eJTGIuR.jpg

evaKxZM.jpg

Leasing materials for Heights Marketplace are below. I'm unsure how recent the brochure is. 

Heights Marketplace is a shopping center located at 428-516 W 19th St. According to the brochure, the following units are available for lease:

• 436 W 19th St (Unit E110 - 1, 250 sf)

• 506 W 19th St (Unit E145 - 1,200 sf)

• 512 W 19th St (Unit E150 -- 800 sf)

• 514 W 19th St (Unit E160 -- 1,188 sf)

Details about the shopping center from the brochure:

• Located in the Houston Heights neighborhood, Heights Marketplace is located on the historic W 19th Street. The two buildings consist of approximately 25,000 square feet of retail space.

https://shopcompanies.com/properties/pdf/heights-marketplace

https://www.crexi.com/lease/properties/437437/texas-heights-marketplace

ubfJXr9.jpg

Edited by IntheKnowHouston

2 minutes ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

Leasing materials for Heights Marketplace are below. I'm unsure how recent the brochure is. 

Heights Marketplace is a shopping center located at 428-516 W 19th St. According to the brochure, the following units are available for lease:

• 436 W 19th St (Unit E110 - 1, 250 sf)

• 506 W 19th St (Unit E145 - 1,200 sf)

• 512 W 19th St (Unit E150 -- 800 sf)

• 514 W 19th St (Unit E160 -- 1,188 sf)

Below is the site plan included in leasing materials for Heights Marketplace. I think this is the most recent one.

Heights Marketplace is a shopping center located at 428-516 W 19th St.

A list of tenants and vacancies, according to the site plan:

• TDECU - 428 W 19th St
  • Eye to Eye - 432 W 19th St
  • Vacant - 436 W 19th St
  • The Corner Vet -440 W 19th St
  • SportClips - 444 W 19th St
  • uBreakiFix  - 446 W 19th St
  • The UPS Store - 448 W 19th St
  • ZapVor - 460 W 19th St
  • Collina's Italian Cafe - 502 W 19th St
  • Vacant - 506 W 19th St
  • Menchie's - 512 W 19th St
  • Vacant - 514 W 19th St
  • Penzys Spices - 516 W 19th St

https://shopcompanies.com/properties/pdf/heights-marketplace

0BzuNGB.jpg

• Like 1

Heights Marketplace is shifting from free parking to paid parking. The shopping center recently installed signs informing visitors of new parking guidelines. 

Heights Marketplace is a shopping center located at 428-516 W 19th St. It's owned, I think, by Asana Partners.

Photos from Google Maps are below:

kbWm49b.jpg

FJGFGif.jpg

28 minutes ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

Heights Marketplace is shifting from free parking to paid parking. The shopping center recently installed signs informing visitors of new parking guidelines. 

There is outrage from some regarding Heights Marketplace implementing paid parking. As posted above, the shopping center recently installed signs instructing visitors to pay for parking.

In response to paid parking complaints, someone supposedly with Collina's addressed the issue in various Facebook groups and other pages on the social media platform. Collina's one of several tenants located in the shopping center. According to the restaurant, the landlord is rumored to transform some of its strip centers into apartments. The restaurant speculates Heights Marketplace may be one of those properties. 

iSB0boo.png

• Like 3