SoDo On Main: Multifamily At 1625 Main St.

lockmat

• 5 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Montrose1100 said:

Keeping an eye on a condo in the little yellow building. Hope they sell before the EDM club/venue opens up.

That is a neat old building.  Looks like a very inexpensive price for a condo downtown.  $140 per sqft is attractive.  Hopefully the noise from that bar won't be problematic for this building.

4 hours ago, UtterlyUrban said:

That is a neat old building.  Looks like a very inexpensive price for a condo downtown.  $140 per sqft is attractive.  Hopefully the noise from that bar won't be problematic for this building.

$140/sqft isn't bad, but that $1412 monthly maintenance fee is an absolute killer.

6 hours ago, AREJAY said:

$140/sqft isn't bad, but that $1412 monthly maintenance fee is an absolute killer.

True.  It seems that Older buildings and buildings that have only a few units in them have high monthly fees, I think.  Buildings that are both old and have few units might get a double whammy.  At $0.72 psf, this one is a little high but they can go easily to a buck or more.  I wonder if this little place has amenities like valet, porters, and Conceirge?  That stuff is expensive over only a few units!

55 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

In an older building like the Beaconsfield, the monthly maintenance probably includes all utilities.

I live in the Capitol Lofts (constructed in 1908, converted to lofts in early 2000's) and the monthly maintenance is ~$0.55 / sq ft. It covers very basic building upkeep and maintenance including an onsite porter Monday through Friday for 8 hours a day. It does not cover utilities. Amenities are basic - the rooftop deck and gym are bare bones. 

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

And that's a wrap

http://www.costar.com/News/Article/24-Story-SkyHouse-Main-Residential-Tower-Delivers-in-Downtown-Houston/184787

A joint venture comprised of Atlanta-based companies Novare Group, Batson-Cook Development Co. and local developer Peter W. Dienna has completed construction on the second of two luxury apartment towers that make up the redevelopment of two full blocks along Main St. in Houston's central business district. 

• Like 5

If this information regarding the Skyhouses is accurate it should spur further residential downtown construction.  Not being a business man I cannot claim detailed understanding. Nevertheless it makes no sense for developers who received financial incentives to build downtown residentials especially in choice locations or near the rail line, or both,  to let this opportunity slip away. Camden, block 98, Fairfield seem like win proposals. 

• Like 1

Camden has applied for incentives, got them, and has done nothing but sit while other developers have continued to move forward/build.  I have not read anything about an "oversupply" of residential units in downtown or midtown and, likely, these developers haven't either.  Can someone point me to an analysis showing that we are in a resi rental oversupply situation in downtown and midtown?  

1 hour ago, UtterlyUrban said:

Can someone point me to an analysis showing that we are in a resi rental oversupply situation in downtown and midtown?  

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2016/06/02/houston-doesn-t-need-more-class-a-apartments.html

This doesnt discuss the downtown and midtown submarkets, and I'm not sure how credible the "Greater Houston Partnership" is in discussing apartment rentals. That being said, it would not surprise me if there is a glut right now on the market. 

• Like 2

As someone who is studying the methods used by developers (not claiming to be an expert by any means), these decisions to build or not are very complex decisions with lots of market research and analysis. I guarantee they have a better understanding of what can work after all they have people who's sole job is to preform these analyses. Granted some businesses are going to be more risk averse than others and wont build when others will. 

• Like 5

As of 2nd quarter, 2016, downtown has a 56.2% occupancy rate.  207 new units were delivered during the second quarter.  Net absorption was 142 units.  FWIW, downtown has, by far, the lowest occupancy of all the submarkets in the Houston metro.  The metro-wide occupancy rate is 89.7%   I think the downtown submarket has a great future, but there is little doubt there will be a glut of apartments in the short term.

The "Central Houston" market (downtown, Montrose/Museum/Midtown, Heights/Wash Ave., HIghland Village/Upper Kirby/West U, and Med Center/Braes Bayou) had a 78.4% occupancy rate.  1,404 new units delivered during the quarter, with 732 units net absorption.

• Like 8

On September 15, 2016 at 11:39 AM, Houston19514 said:

As of 2nd quarter, 2016, downtown has a 56.2% occupancy rate.  207 new units were delivered during the second quarter.  Net absorption was 142 units.  FWIW, downtown has, by far, the lowest occupancy of all the submarkets in the Houston metro.  The metro-wide occupancy rate is 89.7%   I think the downtown submarket has a great future, but there is little doubt there will be a glut of apartments in the short term.

The "Central Houston" market (downtown, Montrose/Museum/Midtown, Heights/Wash Ave., HIghland Village/Upper Kirby/West U, and Med Center/Braes Bayou) had a 78.4% occupancy rate.  1,404 new units delivered during the quarter, with 732 units net absorption.

Could it be that the low downtown occupancy rates are misleading?  With so few established units downtown, the initial high vacancy in newly-delivered properties will significantly decrease the occupancy rate for the sub market, as those new units make up a significant chunk of the overall inventory.  In a different sub market, where there are already many more thousands of established units, new deliveries of a few hundred units won't impact overall vacancy rates much.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MarathonMan said:

Could it be that the low downtown occupancy rates are misleading?  With so few established units downtown, the initial high vacancy in newly-delivered properties will significantly decrease the occupancy rate for the sub market, as those new units make up a significant chunk of the overall inventory.  In a different sub market, where there are already many more thousands of established units, new deliveries of a few hundred units won't impact overall vacancy rates much.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/article/Rents-occupancy-rates-signal-shifts-in-apartment-7968621.php 

"At the rental market's August 2014 peak, the occupancy rate for Class A apartments was 84 percent. Now there is an obvious divide. Among Class A apartments that have been in operation for 13 months or more, the occupancy rate is 91 percent, but those open 13 months or less have a 23.2 percent rate. "

Edited by DrLan34

On September 15, 2016 at 9:39 AM, Houston19514 said:

Can you point me to the source for this?  I would enjoy learning about it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...