Pearl Marketplace At Midtown: Multifamily At 3120 Smith St.

DrLan34

2 minutes ago, cspwal said:

Randalls midtown is going to have to step it up 

a lot

I actually have a Randalls a block away and a Whole Foods a block away and i go to both equally... (i am on mccue in uptown)

Randalls for all the basic items and Whole Foods for specialty items so i think both will be fine...however i haven't been to that Randalls in Midtown in a long time so definitely time for an update if it hasn't had one in awhile! 

• Like 3

It got a rearrangement a while ago that opened it up more (it's a small store) by putting the pharmacy along the outer wall with shelves in the middle.  It definetly doesn't have as much of the newer bulk foods or non-food items.

Also after a certain time they only have one cashier, resulting in very long lines 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, midtowndweller said:

I woke up at 6:50am this morning and was really considering going (woulda been maybe a 10 minute walk) but I knew I wouldn’t be one of the first 200 people. I’ll head over after my workout today.

Eh. You probably would've made the cut. I biked over around that time to make the line at 7 AM and estimate that I was safely among the first 50 people. The branded Midtown tote bag was nice. Also appreciated that they opened doors early.

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Short article, but here you go!

On-Site Grocery Stores Are Becoming a Thing in This Texas City's Apartments

Trend is Taking Off in Areas Packed With Rentals, Offices and Retail

Sprouting freestanding, suburban supermarkets with surface parking have long ruled in vast Houston. Today, grocers are affiliating with apartment and office developers to afford stores in pricier urban locations.

Building multilevel stores allows grocers to consider smaller tracts while offering efficiencies like shared parking garages with apartment and office tenants.

According to a recent Urban Land Institute study, grocers are especially attractive partners because they serve as a destination amenity for residents and office tenants in mixed-use projects. In fact, grocery-anchored projects can charge a 20% rent premium, whereas mixed-use apartment projects with retail and office can charge a 15% rent premium to residents.

Last year marked the arrival of Houston's first two apartment buildings situated over grocery stores. The Morgan Group's Pearl Marketplace at Midtown boasts a Whole Foods Market on the ground floor and its apartment units, which recently were completed. Midway Companies' St. Andrie at Buffalo Heights, located at Washington Avenue and Studemont, also recently delivered, and boasts H-E-B's first mixed-use grocery store.

These grocery-anchored mixed-use projects echo the densification of Houston, and are changing the way some urban residents live and shop. Rather than stocking up on the weekend, residents living above a grocery store can take several trips a week, enjoying fresh produce and meats. Furthermore, residents can drive less and walk more, developing health benefits, as the need for a car diminishes.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Texasota said:

poor Phoenicia completely ignored...

Phoenicia_logo.png

Phoenicia-Catering-Homepage-Image.jpg

photo0jpg.jpg

phoenicia-specialty-foods.jpg

^^^ phoenicia specialty market is a DOWNTOWN HOUSTON jewel.  no one could ever "ignore" this most wonderful place.  everything is always FRESH and PERFECT...

• Like 5

• 4 months later...
  • The title was changed to Pearl Marketplace At Midtown: Multifamily At 3120 Smith St.
  • 1 year later...
10 hours ago, tigereye said:

Whole Foods is closing down. 

4 hours ago, 004n063 said:

I just saw this on Reddit from a source I'd never heard of. Can anyone corroborate?

I think @SpaceGhost is the person behind the website Houston Historic Retail. He notes in a post yesterday, "The closing was confirmed by visiting the store and speaking to an employee who confirmed they would close by the end of next week. Supposedly, the store is set to start a deep clearance sale..."

https://houstonhistoricretail.com/2023/10/06/retail-news-whole-foods-to-close-midtown-location/

If true, the loss of Whole Foods Market at 515 Elgin St will be a shame.

On the other hand, while the location is convenient for many in Midtown, Downtown, Montrose, and the Third Ward area, lots of people make the further trek to H-E-B. The prices at H-E-B are somewhat better, as is the selection.

I thought Whole Foods Market would be sustainable at Pearl Marketplace. Residents in the area can afford shopping there. Also, many living in the area tend to be health conscious consumers.

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, hindesky said:

Perfect spot for a Sprouts.

While I enjoy shopping at Sprouts and would like to see one open at Pearl Marketplace, I don't see that happening. Sprouts closed a few Houston area stores earlier this year. I highly doubt they'd open another anytime soon. And I'm more doubtful Sprouts would consider a location where Whole Foods Market couldn't survive.

My wish list is Trader Joe's. The one on S Shepherd Dr is always packed. I hate there isn't another location closer (the one on S Voss is too far out for me). Trader Joe's would do great at Pearl Marketplace. And Houston needs more than one location inside the 610 Loop, to be honest.

H-E-B is also on my wish list. A smaller H-E-B could do well there. Yes, there's bigger H-E-B stores nearby (W Alabama, MacGregor, and Washington Ave), but there's enough density in Midtown and the surrounding neighborhoods to support one.

I could also see Foxtrot or Royal Blue Grocery opening there. Foxtrot has plans for a Houston expansion soon anyways. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, BeerNut said:

I would go to those Whole Foods on occasion because it was the closest grocery store to me.  It always seemed dead when I would go.  It never gained the traffic of other Whole Foods.

It was always dead. We only went there because they had a special type of milk for my son that was usually sold out at Target and HEB. I told my wife that there's no way this place can last just a few months ago. There's like two floors of parking and only like 10 or 15 spots are used in the entire parking garage.

Still really hoping we can get an HEB in midtown or even downtown if that's possible.

• Like 1

What a blow to the ground floor retail enthusiast. The closure of such a high-profile well-known store. I'm sure this will affect other chain store's thoughts on expansion in the midtown area. 

What is going on with midtown. First 24-hour Fitness, then CVS, now Whole Foods. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fortune said:

What a blow to the ground floor retail enthusiast. The closure of such a high-profile well-known store. I'm sure this will affect other chain store's thoughts on expansion in the midtown area. 

What is going on with midtown. First 24-hour Fitness, then CVS, now Whole Foods. 

The 24 hour fitness was crap. Should replace w/ a nicer gym tbh. 

The CVS was in no man’s land. 

Whole Foods is too expensive for the neighborhood. Should be a Trader Joe’s or small Target. 

• Like 1

On 10/6/2023 at 3:16 PM, tigereye said:

Whole Foods is closing down. 

On 10/7/2023 at 1:30 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

I think @SpaceGhost is the person behind the website Houston Historic Retail. He notes in a post yesterday, "The closing was confirmed by visiting the store and speaking to an employee who confirmed they would close by the end of next week. Supposedly, the store is set to start a deep clearance sale..."

https://houstonhistoricretail.com/2023/10/06/retail-news-whole-foods-to-close-midtown-location/

7 hours ago, corbs315 said:

Went around 2:30. There was almost nothing grocery-wise, but a lot of wine left - and it was now 50% off as well.

According to Houston Chronicle, Whole Foods Market in Midtown is closing Friday.  

Whole Foods Market is located in Pearl Marketplace at 515 Elgin St.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/trending/article/houston-midtown-whole-foods-closing-sale-18412957.php