Improvements On Main Street

Moore713

Issue would be parking at also plumbing for residential is probably harder than for office (offices don't typically have bathtubs and kitchen sinks)

Those two issues aside, there's also probably code issues for occupancy compared to when it was built

• Like 1

Code issues seem beside the point since the building is currently on fire. My guess is that if this survives, it will mostly be as a shell. As to parking: there's an infinite number of parking garages within walking distance.I'm sure they could contract with one for a few dedicated spaces.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Texasota said:

Code issues seem beside the point since the building is currently on fire. My guess is that if this survives, it will mostly be as a shell. As to parking: there's an infinite number of parking garages within walking distance.I'm sure they could contract with one for a few dedicated spaces.

They could, it's just expensive for your average Class B office tenant.

• Like 1

I believe they had parking spots in the alley between that building and El Big Bad.  I think when Frank's pizza tower was built, they got some spots in that garage in exchange for sacrificing that alley for loading/unloading

• Like 3

A few years ago, we investigated the condition of the original facade at the Main Food Store Building in the hope that its restoration could have been funded through the Main Street Market Square Redevelopment Authority's historic facade grant program.  At the time, the current facade panels were beginning to deteriorate, and the owner agreed to allow a study to be done of the condition of the original building facade.  Much of the original facade remains in tact, however when they added the new skin, the structural steel supports which hold the new facade were attached to the original structure, and no care was taken when making the  penetrations through the original stone to do these attachments.  In fact, there were so many penetrations through the original stone that a restoration would likely not have been feasible.  All too bad, because the original building was a beauty.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

• The title was changed to Main St. Improvments
  • 2 months later...

They must be forgetting that emergency vehicles can drive on the light rail lines. Would have been much better if they allowed the sidewalk space to be used and left the vehicle lane for walking, but ADA wins again. I don't imagine many of these businesses will be willing to spends thousands on these highly regulated enclosures that are only set to last until March.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, staresatmaps said:

They must be forgetting that emergency vehicles can drive on the light rail lines.

They may be able to drive there, but I wouldn't want to try to thread a ladder or a water cannon through the wires that power the trains.

• Like 4

On 10/19/2019 at 10:22 AM, ATH said:

A few years ago, we investigated the condition of the original facade at the Main Food Store Building in the hope that its restoration could have been funded through the Main Street Market Square Redevelopment Authority's historic facade grant program.  At the time, the current facade panels were beginning to deteriorate, and the owner agreed to allow a study to be done of the condition of the original building facade.  Much of the original facade remains in tact, however when they added the new skin, the structural steel supports which hold the new facade were attached to the original structure, and no care was taken when making the  penetrations through the original stone to do these attachments.  In fact, there were so many penetrations through the original stone that a restoration would likely not have been feasible.  All too bad, because the original building was a beauty.

So this has no chance of being saved? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Avossos said:

There is always.. ALWAYS a chance... just needs someone to spend the money.

That's always the issue. One of the first preservation controversies I remember here was the demolition of the publishing company building on Allen Parkway. The owners said something like "We can't afford to spend $2 million and finish with a building worth $1 million". You can't blame owners for not making decisions that don't make economic sense.

6 hours ago, Tumbleweed_Tx said:

this one? A talented stone artist could easily save it. 

DzZcq3Q.jpg

But would the owners able to afford the costs to do that? Perhaps they can not do any further damage, in case a future owner feels like paying the costs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, pokemonizepic said:

hopefully it eventually just becomes permanent, this program adds vibrancy to main st. IMO

I watched a council committee presentation and discussion of this program recently and it appears it is definitely going the direction of permanent.  (I don't know what the hold up is...)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19th st. Main St. through Midtown. South side of University in the Village. Harrisburg. Gray between Bagby and Wilson.

A version of it as a short term, low-cost approach to Lower Westheimer and Washington would be nice. A complete rebuild of the street is a big project, but maybe some paint and bollards in the meantime?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Yeah this is super cool. It really opens up a ton of space in Houston for pedestrians. I wonder what other places outside of downtown could take advantage of this. 

The city could implement this on any street with concentrated bars and restaurants. Austin's 6th Street allows vehicles during the day and bollards close it around 8-9 PM nightly.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, nate4l1f3 said:

I’ve always loved this idea but at the same time I’ve been disappointed that I’ve only seen maybe 2 businesses take advantage of it. Also, when I’m DT I rarely see any citizens taking advantage either. Hopefully that changes soon. 

More restaurants are interested, but it takes a bit if an investment. So they have been hesitant because of the short-term nature.  They expect at least a couple more will jump in now that they have another full year, and more would do it if/when it becomes permanent.

Also, they are very much interested in looking at other areas where this could be implemented.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nate4l1f3 said:

I’ve always loved this idea but at the same time I’ve been disappointed that I’ve only seen maybe 2 businesses take advantage of it. Also, when I’m DT I rarely see any citizens taking advantage either. Hopefully that changes soon. 

The homeless problem in that area doesn’t help, but I guess it’s gotten a lot better than it was.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

More restaurants are interested, but it takes a bit if an investment. So they have been hesitant because of the short-term nature.  They expect at least a couple more will jump in now that they have another full year, and more would do it if/when it becomes permanent.

Also, they are very much interested in looking at other areas where this could be implemented.

Ahhh that makes sense actually.  Thanks for that perspective 👍🏼