Improvements On Main Street

Moore713

53 minutes ago, BigFootsSocks said:

I'd like to see the budget first before I start pointing fingers using strawman arguments...

They will claim they are funding it by the increase revenue that will occur in the hotel occupancy taxes during the super bowl but we all know how much truthful our comptroller is.

If these were more permanent improvements it would be a different story. Is anyone visiting houston really going to be impressed by some ugly paint over a dirty building or peeling paint on the road? Im sure a couple weeks before they will sweep up all the homeless populations for loitering/outstanding warrants and no one will even have a clue half of the issue we deal with in this city. 

58 minutes ago, Texasota said:

This is being funded by the Downtown District, NOT the city. Now, obviously that money is coming from somewhere, but it's likely coming from residents and businesses downtown, not anyone in Montrose or the Heights.

There is a small property tax on Downtown property owners to support the Downtown District. For my residential property, the 2015 rate was 0.12%. They're projecting assessments of $11.7mm in 2016.

http://www.downtowndistrict.org/static/media/uploads/attachments/2016%20Operating_Capital%20Budgets.pdf

• Like 2

On 3/23/2016 at 5:55 PM, astros148 said:

Im sorry but am i the only who thinks all this temporarily main st improvement is garbage? We have pot holes all up and down elgin and montrose and have so many other issues with the city. Instead we pump money into temporarily garbage looking art that will attempt to appease a few tourist that come here for the super bowl. Waste of money. 

The potholes are getting fixed very fast. If you're aware of some that haven't been filled, please report them on 311. Downtown Management District spends their money on Downtown.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

25503798583_3a4ec82df4_h.jpg_DSC0046 by Jonas Orlandi, on Flickr

A few updates: 

1. In front of the above sculptures, a chome plaque has gone up (probably for this) 

2. While everything rushes to completion ahead of the Final Four, it appears all work  (including repairs) has stopped on Color Jam. Maybe this changes in the next 72 hours but it looks a horrible mess currently. 

3. Southbound Main St Sq plaza behind 1111 Travis is now open. 

4. New granite hexagonal shaped planters are going up (see in front of Humble Oil Building. If it's not raining later, will try and get a pic

5. Bike lane being completed next to 1111 Travis. See Downtown Bike Lane thread in Transportation Forum. 

Edit: Found this planter in front of Waste Management. 

Edited by tigereye
  • Like 3

I think that all of the "art" that has been installed is miserable.

that said, I know nothing of art.  I know only what I like.  And, this I don't like.  Others will and that is equally their right.  It just seems to me that Houston could have done much much much better.  One or two iconic pieces that begin to define the city for generations to come.  We did not get that.  Perhaps because we didn't ask?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, UtterlyUrban said:

Yep, I don't like the art.  Thanks for gathering Into one place!

I'm not a big fan either. But don't forget that Fashion has taken us back to the 90's if you look at what all the kiddos are wearing these days (for the past couple years). It makes sense similar artistic style would return.

Just like Architecture, Houston sometimes gets something in the "now". Usually the majority is garbage, and even the good stuff never breaks the mold.