Improvements On Main Street

Moore713

3 hours ago, astros148 said:

does anyone actually find this attractive? Wtf is this suppose to be honestly?

I do.

I like Renner's work and I'm glad to see some of it Downtown. And watching the curious reactions of pedestrians, stopping to snap pics, Id say the Downtown Management District made the right decision in selecting his work to be apart of this project. Before this, I never really saw these types of reactions before on our streetscape. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, tigereye said:

I do.

I like Renner's work and I'm glad to see some of it Downtown. And watching the curious reactions of pedestrians, stopping to snap pics, Id say the Downtown Management District made the right decision in selecting his work to be apart of this project. Before this, I never really saw these types of reactions before on our streetscape. 

You never saw any type of reaction because there was nothing to be responsive to. The colors to this are ugly, i think the huge poster they put on Main are the best part of these improvements 

Im not sure how the "colors are ugly".. Its got every color you could imagine. 

I think one of the most important aspects of Renner's work isn't necessarily the sculpture itself (though I do think they look cool), but the fact that all of the painting is done by the people of Houston. His work is a community event which brings us together. Now when the people who helped paint see the finished product, they can take pride in knowing that they were a part of it.

• Like 1

It reminds me of cat poop or a hairball. Not an attractive sculpture at all. With the gray background the colors aren't bright enough to really push against the straight lines. It's just kinda "bleh", like the silent dry-heaving before the feline gets too throaty.

Edited by Montrose1100

I think it looks like something from Dr Seuss; I could imagine it being a transport method in Seuss-land to get you to the roof of that parking garage.  I especially like the addition of bistro tables under it - I think it makes the plaza feel more inviting to stay in.  Before, I wouldn't think of eating lunch there.  Now I'm looking forward to the next time I'm downtown for lunch - I think that will be a good place to consume a sandwich or three

• Like 1

10 hours ago, astros148 said:

You never saw any type of reaction because there was nothing to be responsive to. The colors to this are ugly, i think the huge poster they put on Main are the best part of these improvements 

Im here everyday ...I see the reactions to Trumpet Flower myself. 

The billboard over the $1.19 store is the weakest of the exhibits. THAT gets no reactions.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tigereye said:

Im here everyday ...I see the reactions to Trumpet Flower myself. 

The billboard over the $1.19 store is the weakest of the exhibits. THAT gets no reactions.

The Color Jam is pretty cool. Everything else is garbage quite frankly. But, I guess then it is truly art.

22 hours ago, astros148 said:

does anyone actually find this attractive? Wtf is this suppose to be honestly?

Astros 148, I don't want to pick on you but when you make uneducated statements about art that you know anything about, it tends to leave you open for rebuttal.

Art doesn't have to represent anything. It often doesn't. It evokes some kind of visceral or emotional response. It can make you laugh, smile, question or even dislike but when you use the WTF comment, it just makes you sound crass and uneducated. Maybe you should spend a little more time going to some of the exhibits at the MFAH or the Menil or even the Contemporary arts museum and immersing yourself in some fine abstract and contemporary art.

It wouldn't hurt you and after looking at a lot of it you might surprise yourself and actually begin to appreciate it.

This particular sculpture by Patrick Renner was commissioned to add something to downtown that is seriously lacking. Color, art and  and things to get peoples attention..

Its a way to get people who don't always go to art exhibits or museums to have an opportunity to see something different.

Its just a whimsical piece that Patrick made and the one that was built for Montrose blvd. is now in New Orleans because they wanted their community to have the opportunity to appreciate his work. So loosen up and don't be so critical of things and just absorb and consider yourself fortunate to have an artist that lives here and can come up with these fun ideas that give most people a lot of pleasure and enjoyment.

• Like 6

On April 13, 2016 at 10:09 AM, Gator Purify said:

Anyone know how much money is being spent on this?

No.

money for public art can be well spent as public art pieces can become iconic and help to define a city in the minds of people (Chicago "bean" for example).  Perhaps this shlock will do that, but I doubt it.  I hope time and tastes prove me wrong since, otherwise, it is money poorly spent, IMO.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bobruss said:

Astros 148, I don't want to pick on you but when you make uneducated statements about art that you know anything about, it tends to leave you open for rebuttal.

Art doesn't have to represent anything. It often doesn't. It evokes some kind of visceral or emotional response. It can make you laugh, smile, question or even dislike but when you use the WTF comment, it just makes you sound crass and uneducated. Maybe you should spend a little more time going to some of the exhibits at the MFAH or the Menil or even the Contemporary arts museum and immersing yourself in some fine abstract and contemporary art.

It wouldn't hurt you and after looking at a lot of it you might surprise yourself and actually begin to appreciate it.

This particular sculpture by Patrick Renner was commissioned to add something to downtown that is seriously lacking. Color, art and  and things to get peoples attention..

Its a way to get people who don't always go to art exhibits or museums to have an opportunity to see something different.

Its just a whimsical piece that Patrick made and the one that was built for Montrose blvd. is now in New Orleans because they wanted their community to have the opportunity to appreciate his work. So loosen up and don't be so critical of things and just absorb and consider yourself fortunate to have an artist that lives here and can come up with these fun ideas that give most people a lot of pleasure and enjoyment.

I was born and raised in London and grew up all around Europe, so I guess my definition of Contemporary or Modern art is a bit different. Anything nowadays is considered art and I guess if thats a good or bad thing is ones personal opinion. I just think the money they spent here it could have been much better spent. I wish Houston one day could have something like New Orleans has with Palmer park or London has with Brick lane or Leake street. I guess im just spoiled  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, astros148 said:

I wish Houston one day could have something like New Orleans has with Palmer park or London has with Brick lane or Leake street. I guess im just spoiled  

Do you mean the monthly art market in Palmer Park? Houston's monthly version in The Heights predates that one by a few years, and an additional one is launching at Sawyer Yards next month with the goal of making it a weekly event by September of this year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, astros148 said:

I was born and raised in London and grew up all around Europe, so I guess my definition of Contemporary or Modern art is a bit different. Anything nowadays is considered art and I guess if thats a good or bad thing is ones personal opinion. I just think the money they spent here it could have been much better spent. I wish Houston one day could have something like New Orleans has with Palmer park or London has with Brick lane or Leake street. I guess im just spoiled  

Do you have a British accent? Because now I'm reading all your posts with an accent.

• Like 4

Liberty Hall, was by far the best concert hall in Houston, maybe ever. Some historic concerts, and the best small venue stage and greenroom just about anywhere.

It had an incredible history, and really good vibes. I got to see some legends of rock and roll at the Hall, and lucky enough to get to play it a few times.

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 3:12 PM, bobruss said:

Well, some people like modern art and some people don't. And everyone's entitled to their opinion. I like some of it. In this case, it does seem to jar with the existing aesthetic of the improvements made back in 2003. It seems like whoever designed this either did consider the existing aesthetic at all, or intentionally tried to clash with it. Although I guess if it's temporary, no harm done.

One thing about the patches of color - is it possible to make a mistake doing art like this? I mean, if you accidentally painted a brush stroke the wrong way, or say your whole can of paint even fell off your ladder and bounced off the side wall of the building on the way down, would anyone notice there was a mistake made?

For my taste, I like the Lightnin' Hopkins mural. Dislike the patches of color. The Renner sculpture I liked more on Montrose Blvd., but it kind of works for me here too, especially if taken as a call for demolishing the garage there (could it represent a trash chute for demolition?). Don't like the graffiti and don't think it belongs on Main St.

Edited by H-Town Man

Stumbled down Main Street bar hopping  with an out of town wedding party after midnight last night.  Everyone stopped to take pictures of the Renner sculpture and thought it was neat.  The Color Jam seems weird and out of place whey you happen upon it and do not see it from above.  No one was interested in the Hopkins posters and we barley noticed the couple of other installations.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On April 11, 2016 at 1:34 PM, tigereye said:

Serious work was done on Color Jam this weekend. 

Just a b&w edit of my original pic. 

On July 5, 2016 at 6:37 AM, Urbannizer said:

Snapped this earlier. Also gave it the black & white treatment. 

• Like 9