Improvements On Main Street

Moore713

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

Thanks for digging that back up, Avossos. 

Comparing them side by side, it looks like the slip cover may not have destroyed everything since it's roughly the same height as the original roof decoration.  Now let's just hope that the fire doesn't.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mollusk said:

And just yesterday we were linked to its former deco glory... it's going to be interesting seeing what the next act is for this one.

58 minutes ago, cspwal said:

I wonder how the slip cover affects its flammability.  Could the space between the old facade and the slip cover be a pocket that fire can burn worse?

While this one may have something remaining of it's original facade, I think you are confusing this with the Main Food Store. 

I think with this building we are uncertain whether the façade is a slipcover or if it replaced the original façade.  Though now that flames are coming out of the roof, the building may be too heavily damaged for it to matter (HFD is flying a drone overhead to inspect, too).  Here's the best photo I can come up with of the original 1929 appearance:

9RTDeXQ.png

• Like 7

3 hours ago, phillip_white said:

While this one may have something remaining of it's original facade, I think you are confusing this with the Main Food Store. 

I get where you're coming from, but the fire is in the building housing a different bodega, the Main Street Market, a few blocks north.  It, too was slipcovered.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, rechlin said:

I think with this building we are uncertain whether the façade is a slipcover or if it replaced the original façade.  Though now that flames are coming out of the roof, the building may be too heavily damaged for it to matter (HFD is flying a drone overhead to inspect, too).  Here's the best photo I can come up with of the original 1929 appearance:

9RTDeXQ.png

I can't imagine they would go to all the trouble to remove that stone when it is a perfectly fine base for whatever you need to put on it. Those lower art deco ornaments probably didn't survive though, and obviously the top projecting ones didn't. I've seen the slipcover and it does not seem like very substantial material.

I think renovation of the upper floors will be driven by the market for historic Class B office space, perhaps creative space. Right now there is a lot of this available in the Lower Main area. Not sure why there isn't more demand for offices in such interesting buildings as we have but my guess is the parking issue.

• Like 2