Catalyst: Residential High-Rise At 1475 Texas Ave.

TowerSpotter

Speaking of correction centers being ripe for repurposing in an earlier post, i heard this morning that state rep. Greene wants to move the prisoners from the little white two story building that house the prisoners who will be released soon over to the county building on the north side of the bayou thus making this property available for development. This building lies just north of the Fingers mega apartment building across from Minute Maid. This is a great plan and I hope it goes forward. It should be developed into a mixed use project.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bobruss said:

Speaking of correction centers being ripe for repurposing in an earlier post, i heard this morning that state rep. Greene wants to move the prisoners from the little white two story building that house the prisoners who will be released soon over to the county building on the north side of the bayou thus making this property available for development. This building lies just north of the Fingers mega apartment building across from Minute Maid. This is a great plan and I hope it goes forward. It should be developed into a mixed use project.

Always wondered what that building was.  TBH it looks abandoned... Anyone know who owns the block directly behind 500 Crawford?

2 hours ago, bobruss said:

Always wondered what that building was.  TBH it looks abandoned... Anyone know who owns the block directly behind 500 Crawford?

I'm not sure about linking but its directly north of Fingers new apartment project. It's on the corner of Crawford and I believe thats Preston on the south side that it fronts. It only takes up a small portion of a relatively empty block. I was told years ago when we lived in the Wagon Works buildings that this facility held prisoners who were on their last months or days before release from prison. Someone can correct me if that is erroneous but it is a very highly desirable location now with all of the residential development. I guess in an ironic way this could be considered the first residential building in this particular neighborhood.

31 minutes ago, Urbannizer said:

It's the South Texas Intermediate Sanction Facility at 1515 Preston. A decision was made Thursday.

http://www.chron.com/news/politics/texas/article/TDCJ-moves-to-close-downtown-Houston-lockup-9148332.php

I guess we just have to assume they decided to close it?  Another day, another Chronicle disappointment.

Edited by Houston19514

1 hour ago, Houston19514 said:

I guess we just have to assume they decided to close it?  Another day, another Chronicle disappointment.

Went back to make sure and it's closing. This update was given in a related article. 

http://www.chron.com/news/politics/texas/article/Officials-Budget-cuts-could-bring-more-prison-9171335.php

The move came as the Texas Department of Criminal Justice's governing board approved the shutdown of the 450-bed South Texas Intermediate Sanction Facility, a lockup for parole violators across from Minute Maid Park in downtown Houston, as a way to help make up for a 4-percent budget reduction mandated by state leaders.

They're doing something with the crane.  It seems too early to take it down (I believe they still have some concrete pouring to do on the top level due to the rebar poking out), but it seems tall enough to not need raising, either, so I'm not sure what's going on.

JrO9cN2.jpg

• Like 4

This project is so far behind schedule, just looking at the pictures there is a lot of signs showing either poor construction management or a fiscally challenged project. 

With the sign that says Fall 2016......There is still a crane up - If I am not mistaken Fall is about to start. I would be shocked if they had anything open by the end of Fall (even just a few floors). 

44 minutes ago, BigBlueContractor said:

This project is so far behind schedule, just looking at the pictures there is a lot of signs showing either poor construction management or a fiscally challenged project. 

With the sign that says Fall 2016......There is still a crane up - If I am not mistaken Fall is about to start. I would be shocked if they had anything open by the end of Fall (even just a few floors). 

I believe the sign says 'pre-leasing fall 2016'.  I don't remember seeing any timelines for this one back in the day but I don't think they are that far behind schedule.  The project downtown that is way behind schedule is the Texaco building renovation.

• Like 1