Catalyst: Residential High-Rise At 1475 Texas Ave.

TowerSpotter

I've mentioned this before but I'm excited to see what may come of the empty block north of this directly behind 500 Crawford.  I would love to see a slim residential tower or almost square in shape.  I just don't want anything to block the view of DT from MMP. 

5 hours ago, BigFootsSocks said:

So is this still being demo'd according to the title, or is it time for an update?

Also, off topic but is anyone getting redirected to ad pages on mobile? It's so irritating and automatically opens the App Store to download some bs app

Yes, I am. It's very annoying.

IDK HOW THIS ENDED UP IN THE WRONG THREAD but it was supposed to be in the Rusk demo, but because of the stupid spam ads on this site it messed up. 

Just gonna point out that this only only happened once the site was taken over by new ownership. Guess it has something to do with that new Houston "Covering Katy/Cypress/etc blog that received its own sub in the various forums. Would be very strange if there was a connection since that was never disclosed to its users, but if they're gonna allow these kind of pathetic ad redirects continue I shouldn't be surprised. 

Haif sold out.

Idc if the mods delete this, I've mentioned this so many times and I'm told constantly by the HaifCares account that it's fixed. It is, but it's only for a month or two. 

New Ownership can you please stop making people want to leave this site? And while I'm on my rant, make the mobile site useable. It's awful.

• Like 5

I can deal with the ads that pop up and give the "close ad to proceed to page" thing even tho it's annoying as hell, but that, on top of the ad that doesn't disappear at the bottom of the page, and these redirects are so weird. I love this forum and the community, but let's be honest here, it's not particularly big. It's odd that the change in leadership has decided to profit as much as possible off a small user base. Are they trying to get as much profit as possible before a majority of the users leave, or did they just not have a great plan in place when they took over?

I dealt with this for awhile, and I've only been posting here for a few years, but one would think that there'd be more transparency from the ownership on what's going on with the site and their plans for its future than spamming its user base with ads. At least Moderator used to interact with the users here.

• Like 3

When was there a change in ownership?

This site used to be way more active 10 years ago. Lots of interesting people got either chased off or bored. It seems like the last few months, the board has been slowly drying up on new content other than the "bots." I kinda assumed it was because there aren't as many new projects now but maybe there's more to it...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KinkaidAlum said:

This site used to be way more active 10 years ago. Lots of interesting people got either chased off or bored. It seems like the last few months, the board has been slowly drying up on new content other than the "bots." I kinda assumed it was because there aren't as many new projects now but maybe there's more to it...

I see what you're saying but I think the site always flourishes when the city is getting a lot of development activity. 2003-04, 2007-08, and 2013-15 have been the peak eras. Each has brought a new group of people, with some continuity. Hard to say which was best, although the runup to the light rail referendum in 2003, with Super Bowl hot on its heels, was something unique. Certainly this last boom though has been the golden age of following projects day by day as they progress thanks to phone cameras, from soil sampling onward.

We've lost some good characters but also some real a-holes who I'm glad are gone. We've got a couple of new ones, but relatively mild compared to the past.

• Like 2

On 4/16/2017 at 5:21 PM, nate4l1f3 said:

Wow I thought it was only me.  I've changed my password several times just in case and I still get redirected. 

Can you please send me some examples of the redirects so that we can track them down?  Appreciate it.  A screenshot is perfect and if you can capture the IP address, exact URL and date/timestamp it will be very helpful.  

Just send to the Contact Us at the bottom of any page.  

• Like 1

On 4/17/2017 at 9:22 AM, H-Town Man said:

It was mid last year.

An ultimate goal is to give more power to the users on future changes.  That has taken longer because it is difficult to understand the backend software, the actual contributors, and the moderators.  There have been no major changes, no hidden agendas.  Only wish we had more time but the money is tight the ad revenue is very small and only keeps the site up and running.  This is your community.

If anyone knows people knowledgeable on Community Software by Invision Power Services, Inc. it could really help speed up some needed changes.  Appreciate your loyalty and we are very open to changes and helping the community grow.  It will be slow because it is voluntary and there are few people helping out.  I'd love to spend every day making the site great but I also have to make a paid living.  For helpful suggestions use the :

• Like 8

Fair enough, I'd like to see this kind of dialogue continue, and I apologize for my uncouth behavior.

I will add this so that everyone can see it; these as redirects were happening on other sites I use as well. Users of those sites also experienced the same thing so I'm assuming HAIF and those sites use similar advertising software that went haywire last week. 

• Like 2

This has been such a great opportunity to have a dialogue about things we all are passionate about and its good to see that all parties are interested in the same thing and thats to keep the site open to discourse and  responders maintain a level of good faith.

I enjoy this site quite a bit and would hate to see it lose that level of interest. 

• Like 3

@bobruss @BigFootsSocks  and others..  thanks for keeping us honest.  On the adware problems, we are lucky, for every reported issue thousands were automatically blocked.  It sucks we have to pay for the privileges of keeping the spam to a minimum but its worth, in the end, I'm amazed how bad it has gotten.  

I will be opening up the dialog and getting feedback more often, especially as it pertains to changes and future direction of the site.  

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...