Catalyst: Residential High-Rise At 1475 Texas Ave.

TowerSpotter

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like work on the exterior of the upper floors has finally resumed.  They appear to have taken a break beginning on December 3, but finally today they are putting more of that white insulation up.  I can't see the lower floors from where I am, so maybe they were focusing on the bottom, but I was surprised at how quickly it was going for so long, only to apparently come to a stop for a full month.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, CREguy13 said:

This area is going to be a boom for all empty lots surrounding MMP.  This is very bold, but I think Houston could have the best ballpark neighborhood at the end of all this.

Define "neighborhood". 

If you mean that houston will have several brand new, dense, residential structures within 3 blocks of the stadium, ok.

but, if you are speaking more broadly about a "neighborhood", have you walked around wrigley field -- into the neighborhood a couple blocks back?  If you have, I would be curious as to how you think this small section of downtown Houston might improve on that large area of Chicago.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CREguy13 said:

This area is going to be a boom for all empty lots surrounding MMP.  This is very bold, but I think Houston could have the best ballpark neighborhood at the end of all this.

I've always wondered once MMP reaches its lifespan where would they put a new stadium? To see the area around the stadium gradually progress and then really take off here recently I would hate to see the stadium elsewhere.  Don't know the politics or economics behind that but I would almost choose keeping MMP around a VERY long time if the other option was moving elsewhere like to the suburbs. 

Edited by nate4l1f3
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, nate4l1f3 said:

I've always wondered once MMP reaches its lifespan where would they put a new stadium? To see the area around the stadium gradually progress and then really take off here recently I would hate to see the stadium elsewhere.  Don't know the politics or economics behind that but I would almost choose keeping MMP around a VERY long time if the other option was moving elsewhere like to the suburbs. 

Well when the STL Cardinals built their new stadium, they built half of it next to the old stadium, then when the season was over they tore down the old stadium and built the other half of the stadium, it lessened the time the cardinals had to play in a different ballpark if I remember correctly. If they ever have to replace MMP, I hope thats the route they go, they could use the empty lots to the north (? I'm directionally challenged) if they aren't developed by then. But MMP is a nice park, it can last a long long time, as long as they keep up with tech refreshes and what not, and power wash the roof every once in awhile. No need to replace it after 20 years like globe life park

• Like 3

3 hours ago, UtterlyUrban said:

Turner field was a nice park too.  Only about 15 years old when the Braves decided to abandon it for the suburbs (though they have continued to play in it until the new one is built).

its not always about the stadium..... its about the money.

Atlanta's a bit of a special case, though, with middle to upper-middle class whites living almost entirely north of Downtown. These folks, the primary Braves season ticketholders, didn't want to go to the "bad part of town" 81 nights a year.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, UtterlyUrban said:

Define "neighborhood". 

If you mean that houston will have several brand new, dense, residential structures within 3 blocks of the stadium, ok.

but, if you are speaking more broadly about a "neighborhood", have you walked around wrigley field -- into the neighborhood a couple blocks back?  If you have, I would be curious as to how you think this small section of downtown Houston might improve on that large area of Chicago.  

The former.  And yes, I was in CHI 3 weeks ago.  Wrigleyville is great and they have some very exciting new developments underway right next to the ballpark.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...