Catalyst: Residential High-Rise At 1475 Texas Ave.

TowerSpotter

• 3 weeks later...

That is a remarkable image. Whats most remarkable is the fact that everything in that photo is new or renovated in the last ten years. 

Beside barely seeing the stadium and G.R.Brown nothing else is really distinguishable as Houston. If someone was shown this picture who just knew our skyline they'd never think of Houston. Talk about growth. And this is on the east side of downtown that 20 years ago was a huge parking district. Great job Yoda!

Nunca en mi vida!

Edited by bobruss
added a word
  • Like 6

Im not sure what your referring to because they did all of the east west streets from Commerce to Texas from Bagby to 59.

Its called the Cotswold project. Streets, trees, sidewalks, lighting and signage  were all improved and once the landscaping is done  in front of the new group of residences it should be finished. Im sure those sections will be landscaped similarly. The trees planted in 2002 have grown quite a bit, and it already feels 100% better. The grove of Bald Cyprus trees in front of Minute Maid are beautiful. It feels like a new world  there. Once  retail and shops open it will be  a neighborhood, but you can't manufacture neighborhoods. they grow in their own way organically.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, bobruss said:

Im not sure what your referring to because they did all of the east west streets from Commerce to Texas from Bagby to 59.

Its called the Cotswold project. Streets, trees, sidewalks, lighting and signage  were all improved and once the landscaping is done  in front of the new group of residences it should be finished. Im sure those sections will be landscaped similarly. The trees planted in 2002 have grown quite a bit, and it already feels 100% better. The grove of Bald Cyprus trees in front of Minute Maid are beautiful. It feels like a new world  there. Once  retail and shops open it will be  a neighborhood, but you can't manufacture neighborhoods. they grow in their own way organically.

I would like to see a redo of Crawford from MMP to Discovery green. Not sure if it would make sense to do on LaBranch. 

I imagine that once those streets develop some serious foot traffic after the dust settles and people  start to actually live in this area

they might do what they are doing to Main street which is upgrading the public realm. I don't see Labranch getting that treatment anytime soon. Most of the development is strung along Crawford and that's where the major venues are. Don't forget that each one of the developers who are building in these areas are planning some kind of landscaping so lets see what they might do. Money is going to be very tight for the next few years and there are a lot of major projects that will be needed before those dollars are available.

I will remind that every North South street was rebuilt with new sidewalks, trees, and lighting, from Bagby to Crawford by the federal government, but not as much as the Cotswold project. I was living on Crawford at Franklin at the time and this Federal project along with the Cotswold project, and the main street plaza rail line  were simultaneously built during the rush before the super bowl to spruce up downtown. This was the perfect storm that wiped out pedestrian 

movement no matter where you went. Imagine every North South street being rebuilt, and east west street being rebuilt from Texas to Commerce and Main

from the Pierce elevated to the U. of H. It was a mess to get around in intersections were obliterated, mud everywhere wooden walkways sides of streets closed. Plus that was when they started installing all of the underground cables for people like Verizon and all the others. They'd finish a street and then come back and tunnel in to put the lines in. Very frustrating. As Ive said I was running Cabos at the time so I know what it was like from personal experience. It made it very difficult for the good restaurants to make it much less the poorly run clubs. They blamed their downfall on the Rail line, but it was more due the Perfect Storm and poorly run operations. Plus as you all know, the scene is always relocating. 

• Like 5