Chevron Tower For Downtown At 1600 Louisiana St.

tangledwoods

Obviously not, but Chevron will still pay them to design it. No company is above making money. Skanska wins whether this goes up now or a few years. How is that hard to understand?

Seriously? Skanska is NOT a design firm, they are a construction company. They only make money if they BUILD the tower.

Seriously? Skanska is NOT a design firm, they are a construction company. They only make money if they BUILD the tower.

I have to respectfully correct you. Skanska is a design-build firm. Which means they have structural engineers on staff to design their projects. That being said, the amound of money they make on design is chump change compared to construction. 

http://www.usa.skanska.com/about-skanska/our-services/

Design-build

In 1989, Skanska became one of the first construction firms to offer the advantages of design-build construction to our clients. Since then, we have been awarded numerous turnkey design-build contracts, including site selection analysis and configuration and some of the largest transportation systems built in the U.S. Skanska’s expertise extends to our private clients' needs for world-class facilities that are delivered on-time and within budget. As a leader of the consortium that constructed JFK’s AirTrain Light Rail System, one of the nation’s first billion dollar design-build-operate-maintain projects, we have a proven track record of successful design-build project delivery.

Edited by Purdueenginerd
  • Like 3

I have breaking OFFICIAL NEWS from top CHEVRON SOURCES:

I was told that this project MAY OR MAY NOT HAPPEN in 2015, and/or in the forseeable future.

There you have it folks, straight from the horses mouth.

Howard - Mr Ed does not count as an actual source, nor does he work for Chevron. He works for Texaco ...get it straight.

HOK is the architect and engineer of record on this project.  Skanska is in construction manager / general contractor.  On this project they will not serve in a design build position.

Skanska is currently planning the construction: cranes, schedule, city coordination, etc.  Cool story time:  There are steel columns on this project that will weight in excess of 900lbs per LF.  There are less that 20 cranes in the world right now that make the cut for this project (weight limit, availability, cost, etc).

Again, I am not 100% anything.  I am just telling you what these people are working on.  If you really want to know what the schedule is talk to someone at Kone or Mitsubishi.  The elevator guys are always involved early and end up with all the juicy details.

• Like 4

HOK is the architect and engineer of record on this project. Skanska is in construction manager / general contractor. On this project they will not serve in a design build position.

Skanska is currently planning the construction: cranes, schedule, city coordination, etc. Cool story time: There are steel columns on this project that will weight in excess of 900lbs per LF. There are less that 20 cranes in the world right now that make the cut for this project (weight limit, availability, cost, etc).

Again, I am not 100% anything. I am just telling you what these people are working on. If you really want to know what the schedule is talk to someone at Kone or Mitsubishi. The elevator guys are always involved early and end up with all the juicy details.

When a steel frame is erected in a modern skycraper, dont they normally use drawworks in the basement to hoist all the steel beams into place?

I know thats how that built the Transco tower.

Edited by Howard Huge
  • Like 1

No apology needed; you're doing fine, man, er, ma'am, er whatever... :P

I'm pretty sure he's a man, if you didn't catch the love feud him and some other poster had in one of the subforums. That and his user profile says male. But maybe he was born female, or trans. Whatever makes you happy!

It's great we're getting a steel structure! I pray every night they add just 5-10 more floors to really level the skyline, or some magnificent LED crown.

Edited by Montrose1100
  • Like 3

HOK is the architect and engineer of record on this project.  Skanska is in construction manager / general contractor.  On this project they will not serve in a design build position.

Skanska is currently planning the construction: cranes, schedule, city coordination, etc.  Cool story time:  There are steel columns on this project that will weight in excess of 900lbs per LF.  There are less that 20 cranes in the world right now that make the cut for this project (weight limit, availability, cost, etc).

Again, I am not 100% anything.  I am just telling you what these people are working on.  If you really want to know what the schedule is talk to someone at Kone or Mitsubishi.  The elevator guys are always involved early and end up with all the juicy details.

Well I certainly hope this is a good sign. I just keep getting "this is on hold" when I ask my people. Hard to understand what the situation is...

Well I certainly hope this is a good sign. I just keep getting "this is on hold" when I ask my people. Hard to understand what the situation is...

not really.... oil prices have plummeted nearly 30% in 4 months and have done so at a time when most o&g firms are setting their 2015 budgets.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure he's a man, if you didn't catch the love feud him and some other poster had in one of the subforums. That and his user profile says male. But maybe he was born female, or trans. Whatever makes you happy!

It's great we're getting a steel structure! I pray every night they add just 5-10 more floors to really level the skyline, or some magnificent LED crown.

I'm ashamed to admit I don't know which specific fued you're talking about...whatever, somebody's gotta keep in lively in here :lol:
  • Like 1

According to a family member who recently got into the construction supply field, things may be starting to come to a simmer on this project.  I will hopefully have some more light to shed on this tomorrow night.  There is a meeting tomorrow night, and again next Thursday for all contractors and suppliers to help get acquainted with Skanska.  I'm hearing differing dates on the start from what has been posted recently and I have no idea which is closer to being true but I feel that in the case of this thread, where theres smoke theres fire.  Lots of commotion going on recently.

I'll also note that I work for the company that manages the landscaping for all of the Chevron campuses in town so if they decide to turn off the irrigation on this plot of turf downtown, I'll make sure to let you know  ;)

• Like 8

According to a family member who recently got into the construction supply field, things may be starting to come to a simmer on this project. I will hopefully have some more light to shed on this tomorrow night. There is a meeting tomorrow night, and again next Thursday for all contractors and suppliers to help get acquainted with Skanska. I'm hearing differing dates on the start from what has been posted recently and I have no idea which is closer to being true but I feel that in the case of this thread, where theres smoke theres fire. Lots of commotion going on recently.

I'll also note that I work for the company that manages the landscaping for all of the Chevron campuses in town so if they decide to turn off the irrigation on this plot of turf downtown, I'll make sure to let you know ;)

Thanks for the heads up. Will be good to know more.

Well, I have some good news and some not as good news...

The not so good news: there is no target start time on the schedule. As previously mentioned, the hold up is through Chevron as Skanska is more than ready to get this project going.

The good news: The project has been increased to 52 stories. Those 52 stories are ON TOP of the 6 story podium so 58 stories in total. My connection said that they were told it would be the third tallest building in town but couldn't remember if it was downtown or Houston in general. Sorry to not have more info on this but things are definitely in motion. Just not as far along as most probably want!

Fainting-GIF.gif
  • Like 5