Chevron Tower For Downtown At 1600 Louisiana St.

tangledwoods

• 1 month later...

https://www.bidclerk.com/project/2451670.html

Est. Start Date: June 2015

Site work and new construction of an office development in Houston. Design plans call for the construction of a 46-story office tower. Plans include 1.7 million square feet of space.

As of October 15, 2014, this project is on hold. A firm construction timeline has not been established, and a decision on when the project will become active again will not be decided until first quarter 2015 at the absolute earliest.
  • Like 1

I think the Downtown Development Map pegs construction for the 3rd quarter of 2015. I am still quite optimistic about this building. We knew the construction start date had been delayed until 2015 at the earliest. Oil prices might hit a sweet spot for its development--low enough so that Chevron remains profitable but not so high as to make additional exploration in the immediate future particularly attractive to Chevron.

I think this is a non-news event, since I don't know if this bid advertisement is new or old. Normally, they would not post a request unless there were some movement expected (after all, why advertise something if you're still just contemplating your navel?). Let's watch oil prices - which are in the low $80s at the moment.

• 4 weeks later...

Aside from height, this building is a complete letdown. It's bland, mundane, the water color renderings don't help. It's happening, then it's on hold. Then we hear of a start date and then that gets pushed back. 

It's sort of exhausting going back and forth---which is why I gave up on Ashby long ago. I couldn't care less if that thing [Ashby] ever gets built or not. I'm tired of hearing about it. Can anybody understand where I'm coming from or am I just being ridiculous? 

Edited by wxman
  • Like 2

Aside from height, this building is a complete letdown. It's bland, mundane, the water color renderings don't help. It's happening, then it's on hold. Then we hear of a start date and then that gets pushed back.

It's sort of exhausting going back and forth---which is why I gave up on Ashby long ago. I couldn't care less if that thing [Ashby] ever gets built or not. I'm tired of hearing about it. Can anybody understand where I'm coming from or am I just being ridiculous?

Howard Huge understands.
  • Like 1

if you have any familiarity with commercial development and construction in general than yes - you are being ridiculous. this is how these things work... there are an incredible amount of moving parts nevermind the fact that the oil and gas industry as a whole is in a precarious time given the decline of oil and gas prices of late.

btw i'd be shocked if this building got off the ground any time soon.

• Like 2

if you have any familiarity with commercial development and construction in general than yes - you are being ridiculous. this is how these things work... there are an incredible amount of moving parts nevermind the fact that the oil and gas industry as a whole is in a precarious time given the decline of oil and gas prices of late.

btw i'd be shocked if this building got off the ground any time soon.

Shocked is a pretty strong word. But in the sense of construction delays, there might be some truth. Big projects are delayed across the boards.

Hasn't 3Q 2015 been on the Downtown Development Map for awhile now? The same map indicates that One Market Square is slated to begin construction this quarter. I think Chevron is a bit more likely than One Market Square, but would prefer a presser from Chevron on this project before I get too excited.

I, for one, am not too upset with the design of this building. It looks like the ring on top will light up.

In a way I'm glad the architecture is so dull, so I don't feel the huge letdown when they delay it a year or possibly cancel it altogether. If it gets built, I'm happy, since it will add a lot of mass to that side of the skyline and enhance the overall sense of "power" in our skyline. But it's no stunner, for sure. Architectural textbooks will not have to be rewritten when/if this thing gets built.

• Like 1

Chevron Phillips is a separate company.  It is owned 50% by Chevron and 50% by Phillips 66 and has its headquarters in The Woodlands.  Chevron has had a capital budget of ~$40 billion per year for the past several years and plans to stay in the $35-40 Billion range for the next several years.  The 50% of the Chevron Phillips budget that is accounted to Chevron is still a small component of its projected spending.

• Like 1

Disappointing. More overruns on the Australian gas plant? Or another excuse?

My information came from someone who deals with the financial side of things. So, i assume it has something to do with their financial position and financial outlook. But, with big companies, information is not always transperant. He might be consider the "hold" as the year to start this... thats why we have to take it with a grain of salt.

There are a few people on this forum with actual knowledge of this project.  I dont know any big wigs at chevron, but i do know this:

HOK has produced 100% CD drawings that are ready for permit.  The contractor (Skanska) now has a big team working full time on this project.

Now as in they just started putting resources in this? Is 3Q start confirmed by Skanska? My source was not a big wig, and I hope he just is possibly incorrect.

• Like 4

Just because they have the plans being worked on doesn't mean it will be built any time soon. My father worked on the second Anadarko tower in the Woodlands back in the early 2000's and they only just finished constructing it. This way, when Chevron finally decides to construct this tower, they will have minimal design updates.

Why the hell would they walk away from a project as big as this? They'll do the design, Chevron will pay them a large sum, and they will have a small team dedicated to updating as necessary.

If you think that Skanska has the entire company focused on this one project then you really don't what you're talking about. They get paid whether the tower goes up or not. That's how the construction works works.

Edited by BigFootsSocks