Chevron Tower For Downtown At 1600 Louisiana St.

tangledwoods

Well, at least the quote indicated "until 2016" and not "until 2016 at the earliest."  I am optimistic this will move forward, but the timeline just might be a bit slower than we would like. However, I think it will--simply by virtue of its bulk and height--ad quite the presence to the Downtown skyline and act as a counterbalance to the south of the Wells Fargo Plaza.

The tower will happen most likely... not sure when, but happy to know its still in the plan.

How do you figure that?

I feel like this Chevron statement was wishy-washy. I really really hope this gets built... it's a beautiful tower and it's tall... but it feels like a 50/50 chance that it does get built. They don't want to overspend and are willing to sell their assets, but then they want to spend several hundred million dollars on a shiney new tower? Something doesn't sound right there.

• Like 1

How do you figure that?

I feel like this Chevron statement was wishy-washy. I really really hope this gets built... it's a beautiful tower and it's tall... but it feels like a 50/50 chance that it does get built. They don't want to overspend and are willing to sell their assets, but then they want to spend several hundred million dollars on a shiney new tower? Something doesn't sound right there.

I didn't think the statement was necessarily wishy-washy or inconsistent. It sounded to me as though Chevron is committed to moving forward eventually, but that the tower might be subject to further delays depending on how the market shakes out. I would love to see a 2016 start but would not be shocked for a push into 2017 or 2018. However, given the really long drought this city had in skyscraper construction (the skyline barely changed when I was growing up here in the 90's), a delay of a few years is not so bad. 

• Like 3

How do you figure that?

"We remain committed to the new building"   does not sound very wishy-washy to me.

• Like 3

All right, perhaps we can simply expect more delays. I don't know... here's my thinking. Say this oil market just doesn't improve at all for a while and say this hurts Chevron's budget more than they expect. I know they say they are committed now, but what if that just doesn't look realistic a year from now? If HAIF hasn't understood me yet, I like to challenge the consensus here even if I agree with it. I hope this tower gets built and this article does make me feel a bit optimistic but I am still not convinced this tower is a sure thing despite what they are saying. We'll check back to this section of the thread in a year from now and see what actually panned out.

yeah i think the start date is the only wishy washy part. maybe it will allow for a redesign?

Or not as tall. I hope not.  :(

• Like 1

yeah i think the start date is the only wishy washy part. maybe it will allow for a redesign?

A redesign would be nice. There's nothing wrong with the current design, but I think they could do a little better in tying it in with their other two buildings.

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind a redesign ... there is always a better design ...

...And then there is always a worse design and a smaller tower. Budget cuts, baby! "Yea, we are committed to this thing but it's 30 stories now and it resembles the Embassy Suites by DG." No thank you!

• Like 2

chev·ron
ˈSHevrən/
noun

1. a line or stripe in the shape of a V or an inverted V, especially one on the sleeve of a uniform indicating rank or length of service.

So, we add a light-up crown in the shape of a Chevron to get this thing's height over 900 feet (and maybe a little bit over the Williams Tower).

Now, all I need to do is persuade Chevron that this is a good use of their money. :-) 

• Like 2

All right, perhaps we can simply expect more delays. I don't know... here's my thinking. Say this oil market just doesn't improve at all for a while and say this hurts Chevron's budget more than they expect. I know they say they are committed now, but what if that just doesn't look realistic a year from now? If HAIF hasn't understood me yet, I like to challenge the consensus here even if I agree with it. I hope this tower gets built and this article does make me feel a bit optimistic but I am still not convinced this tower is a sure thing despite what they are saying. We'll check back to this section of the thread in a year from now and see what actually panned out.

Or not as tall. I hope not.  :(

doesn't it go without saying that if things go to hell in handbasket of course all sorts of projects will get cancelled, this included? you could say the exact opposite too - if all of these idled rigs cuts production in half by next month and oil bounces back to $85 a barrel they'll probably break ground this year.

everything is subject to change

• Like 6

doesn't it go without saying that if things go to hell in handbasket of course all sorts of projects will get cancelled, this included? you could say the exact opposite too - if all of these idled rigs cuts production in half by next month and oil bounces back to $85 a barrel they'll probably break ground this year.

everything is subject to change

Very true. Let's hope for the best!