Chevron Tower For Downtown At 1600 Louisiana St.

tangledwoods

54 minutes ago, Twinsanity02 said:

According to Emporis this building will be 859 feet tall, the fourth tallest downtown. Two more feet and it would be the third tallest.  I guess they are not interested in bragging rights. 

? At 859' it would be the third tallest downtown, fourth in the city. It would take more than two feet to surpass the second tallest, Wells Fargo Plaza (stands at 992').

• Like 2

I don't think Chevron has any interest in starting a new tower in Houston right now. The oil industry has not reached its comfort zone yet and they are still 

just treading water.

The downtown market needs to absorb some of this sublease space thats available in the millions of sq. ft.

We have one new tower built out and one under construction with lots of empty space in them. 

I'd be surprised if Linbeck starts construction up near market square until they have a couple of players ready to take multi floors.

7 minutes ago, bobruss said:

I don't think Chevron has any interest in starting a new tower in Houston right now. The oil industry has not reached its comfort zone yet and they are still 

just treading water.

The downtown market needs to absorb some of this sublease space thats available in the millions of sq. ft.

We have one new tower built out and one under construction with lots of empty space in them. 

I'd be surprised if Linbeck starts construction up near market square until they have a couple of players ready to take multi floors.

Our next best shot at a tower is the 1 Market Square tower. All it takes is 1 company to sign on for 15 floors to make assurances to the developer. The activity in Class A space downtown is pretty good considering.

• Like 2

Well seeing a new rendering can't be a bad thing although I don't see anything happening with this for a long while to come but it definitely causes me to raise an eyebrow. Somewhere in a corner office in Houston is a Clark W. Griswold looking at the rending of his pool just waiting for the ground to thaw so-to-speak...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, wxman said:

Well seeing a new rendering can't be a bad thing although I don't see anything happening with this for a long while to come but it definitely causes me to raise an eyebrow. Somewhere in a corner office in Houston is a Clark W. Griswold looking at the rending of his pool just waiting for the ground to thaw so-to-speak...

Hopefully, he didn't float a check on a bonus he didn't yet receive......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 year later...

It was in 2013 from the state by the inept Perry administration for $12 million from the Texas Enterprise Fund. Six years later Chevron has yet to fulfill their part of the bargain. Besides, who’s to say they won’t pull an Exxon and move to the burbs, in this case The Woodlands? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Triton said:

Wonder what this means for the Woodlands. Could take a serious hit if you layoff and/or send all those workers downtown.

That was my initial wonder, as well. Vacating those 2 towers would dump over a million square feet of office space onto that sub market.

• Like 1

Not to mention, I guess that shelves the other two high-rises they were going to build in The Woodlands that would have made it a complex for four 30-story buildings.

LATE BREAKING: Given the industry I'm in, I'm hearing from a co-worker that employees will remain at the two office buildings. "Chevron wants to maintain a presence in The Woodlands." That's a direct quote from an official at the company. 

• Like 3

I wondered about the third tower when I saw that news this morning.  From I'd previously heard, one of the reasons why Chevron has declined to move its headquarters to Houston is that the bulk of its employee presence in San Ramon don't have energy-specific skills--their skills are more general corporate (e.g. accounting) and could be transferred to other industries.  Chevron feared substantial employee losses if there was a move.  Now, there would presumably be some Anadarko employees who could fill those roles.  Additionally, Chevron's prior CEO, John Watson, was a California guy through-and-through as he was born in and went to college in California.  I think the current CEO, Mike Wirth, may not have the same loyalties to California.

In short, some of the barriers that may have previously precluded an HQ move by Chevron have been removed.

• Like 3

Quote from the Chevron CEO today:

"We're not intending to make any changes on real estate and that kind of thing," Wirth said in a phone interview, assuring that Chevron will have major hubs in both downtown Houston and The Woodlands for the foreseeable future.

Much cheaper to keep the buildings you own, assuming they have enough space, than to build something new.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, houstontexasjack said:

I wondered about the third tower when I saw that news this morning.  From I'd previously heard, one of the reasons why Chevron has declined to move its headquarters to Houston is that the bulk of its employee presence in San Ramon don't have energy-specific skills--their skills are more general corporate (e.g. accounting) and could be transferred to other industries.  Chevron feared substantial employee losses if there was a move.  Now, there would presumably be some Anadarko employees who could fill those roles.  Additionally, Chevron's prior CEO, John Watson, was a California guy through-and-through as he was born in and went to college in California.  I think the current CEO, Mike Wirth, may not have the same loyalties to California.

In short, some of the barriers that may have previously precluded an HQ move by Chevron have been removed.

But being in a corporate merger myself between CBRE and GE Capital Markets, there are inevitably layoffs. There will be people who play the same role in both companies and you'll have to figure out which one to let go. The article says Anadarko has 4,700 companywide... now even if all of those are office jobs (which is unlikely) and you still cut that workforce in half... does that still warrant building a brand new tower or keeping those people in the existing ones in the Woodlands? It will be quite interesting to see where Chevron goes with this.

There will be layoffs for the reasons Triton suggested.  There will also be a few years at the least where they keep the two offices.  At some point, I believe it is likely that they will want to consolidate.  I only say that because that has tended to be the trend with the major E&P companies of late.  The building would take a couple of years to build and would probably get some new design/engineering done anyway.  I doubt that even if consolidation were the plan that we would hear anything for another year and then they would be 2 - 3 years out from moving anyway.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, kbates2 said:

There will be layoffs for the reasons Triton suggested.  There will also be a few years at the least where they keep the two offices.  At some point, I believe it is likely that they will want to consolidate.  I only say that because that has tended to be the trend with the major E&P companies of late.  The building would take a couple of years to build and would probably get some new design/engineering done anyway.  I doubt that even if consolidation were the plan that we would hear anything for another year and then they would be 2 - 3 years out from moving anyway.

Agreed. Given the timetable of integrating the merger and planning divestitures, construction design/lead times, etc. its no surprise that there are no plans "in the foreseeable future". Even if they do want to maintain a presence in the woodlands, its unlikely they'd keep both anadarko buildings. 

Keep in mind that Chevron not only owns the lot on which the third tower is planned, but also two catty corner lots off milam. So consolidation downtown makes a lot of sense. 

• Like 6