Chevron Tower For Downtown At 1600 Louisiana St.

tangledwoods

Sooooooo is there reason to believe the 'Chevron Tower' is about to break ground or are we all jumping the gun here? I get very, very excited about these things and I don't wanna be let down lol. 

Are the old Enron buildings even full?

Edited by wxman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wxman said:

Sooooooo is there reason to believe the 'Chevron Tower' is about to break ground or are we all jumping the gun here? I get very, very excited about these things and I don't wanna be let down lol. 

Are the old Enron buildings even full?

I doubt groundbreaking is imminent. I think there’s excitement *something* is being done with the lot. They’ve also fenced off the old Houston Press lot, I believe.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, sdm1130 said:

Sadly, it is just a staging area for an HVAC project.

This from someone who has a total of 3 posts over the years?

Do you have a source for this HVAC project? Why would a 15 year old commercial office building need upgraded HVAC systems? They last longer than that in starter homes.

And why would the also fence off the former Houston Press building site?

On 5/11/2019 at 10:53 AM, Stone said:

This from someone who has a total of 3 posts over the years?

Do you have a source for this HVAC project? Why would a 15 year old commercial office building need upgraded HVAC systems? They last longer than that in starter homes.

And why would the also fence off the former Houston Press building site?

Skyhouse had to have it's chiller replaced within a year of opening

3 hours ago, BeerNut said:

Someone with one post calling out someone with 3 post.

very funny lol GIF

Well I don't know if you know, but you need an ENTIRE block to stage an HVAC project. I for one take the dude with 3 posts very very very seriously.

• Like 1

Skyhouse Houston used the Skyhouse Main parking lot (when it was parking only) as the staging point for the helicopter to replace the chiller.  If the HVAC project is of that magnitude, maybe they are using that block instead of closing streets.

Or they are going to start site work on the new building, or they will rip up the grass and pave it for extra parking.

Or maybe Chevron is opening a gas station downtown

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, cspwal said:

Skyhouse Houston used the Skyhouse Main parking lot (when it was parking only) as the staging point for the helicopter to replace the chiller.  If the HVAC project is of that magnitude, maybe they are using that block instead of closing streets.

Or they are going to start site work on the new building, or they will rip up the grass and pave it for extra parking.

Or maybe Chevron is opening a gas station downtown

Very true. Honestly didn't consider that. Then again my knowledge on those kinds of operations is very little to zero.

• Like 3

correction, 5am-5pm Sunday May 19, and ALL surrounding streets to be closed to vehicles and pedestrians, fairly extensive area.....Andrews, Shaw, Ruthven, Smith, Louisiana, Pease and Bell  Employees will be allowed if work critical, but no exit or entrance 6am-8am and if necessary 5pm-8pm.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, hindesky said:

They wouldn't do that for just a chiller changeout. Did you see if there was a "Large Construction Project" sign on it?

On the rail heading back home. Will check Sunday.

edit: I was wrong. I was speaking about the former Houston Press site?

Edited by ekdrm2d1
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

not to awaken this 7 year old topic necessarily, but does anyone know if this project is still even on the table for sometime in the future at Chevron ? 

I would love to see another 50 plus floor tower in this area of downtown.  At first it was to be 58 stories.  And, it only seems natural that Chevron should build this project here considering their ever increasing presence and investment in Houston and the energy sector, plus their tremendous growth I keep hearing about on occasion of late.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ArtNsf said:

not to awaken this 7 year old topic necessarily, but does anyone know if this project is still even on the table for sometime in the future at Chevron ? 

I would love to see another 50 plus floor tower in this area of downtown.  At first it was to be 58 stories.  And, it only seems natural that Chevron should build this project here considering their ever increasing presence and investment in Houston and the energy sector, plus their tremendous growth I keep hearing about on occasion of late.

Where did you hear about their tremendous growth? Genuinely interested. Unless they are experiencing vastly different fortunes from the rest of the oil industry, I can't imagine they're growing much at all. The whole industry has contracted since this project was announced. I think it is deader than dead. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, ArtNsf said:

plus their tremendous growth I keep hearing about on occasion of late.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/12/11/chevron-11-billion-writedown-could-hit-the-entire-market.html

The nation’s second-largest oil company on Tuesday announced the write-down as it seeks to revalue some of its assets as commodity prices continue to falter.

• Like 1

sorry for getting so many feathers ruffled by asking one simple question.  oh well se la vie.

On 12/13/2019 at 11:05 AM, H-Town Man said:

Where did you hear about their tremendous growth? Genuinely interested. Unless they are experiencing vastly different fortunes from the rest of the oil industry, I can't imagine they're growing much at all. The whole industry has contracted since this project was announced. I think it is deader than dead. 

I heard about this earlier this year when they acquired another large oil company.  Can't remember the name, but they did talk about a lot of growth and more presence in Houston, etc... while laying off a lot of people at the other location(s).  At least that's my recollection.  Perhaps it was late last year, but I'm just not sure.  I guess that'll teach me for not keeping up with the energy industry every second of every day.  As we say "well shut my mouth..."

• Like 2

On 12/13/2019 at 1:22 PM, wxman said:

Can this topic be locked and burned? This tower is d.e.a.d. And it ain’t ever coming back. I got all excited for nothing when I saw the topic pop up at the top. Ugh

I'll leave it open for now until we get any indication that it's actually dead. Who knows, maybe Chevron will downsize it and still build something here.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to New Chevron Tower for Downtown Houston: 58-Stories at 1600 Louisiana
  • 9 months later...

I couldn't find a thread about this block (just north of the Downtown YMCA) but feel free to move it as necessary.

A new fence just went up for the entire block (Main, Leeland, Milan, Pease). It could just be that the old fence needed to go, or more optimistically, something is brewing.

20210618_090705.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Brooklyn173 said:

I couldn't find a thread about this block (just north of the Downtown YMCA) but feel free to move it as necessary.

A new fence just went up for the entire block (Main, Leeland, Milan, Pease). It could just be that the old fence needed to go, or more optimistically, something is brewing.

Correction.  It's the Travis (not Main), Leeland, Milam, Pease block.

Just to refresh everyone's memory, Chevron bought this block in 2013.

• Like 3