Chevron Tower For Downtown At 1600 Louisiana St.

tangledwoods

1 hour ago, LBC2HTX said:

Agreed. Given the timetable of integrating the merger and planning divestitures, construction design/lead times, etc. its no surprise that there are no plans "in the foreseeable future". Even if they do want to maintain a presence in the woodlands, its unlikely they'd keep both anadarko buildings. 

Keep in mind that Chevron not only owns the lot on which the third tower is planned, but also two catty corner lots off milam. So consolidation downtown makes a lot of sense. 

Nice tidbit on the lots they own that just sparked up an idea. I’m always wondering who or what companies own certain empty lots DT (mainly around TC & MMP). Is there or has there been a downtown map with this info? 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, kbates2 said:

Knowing what a POS I am for even bumping this, the news below could be a pretty good sign for this building:

https://www.chron.com/business/energy/article/Chevron-to-buy-Anadarko-in-33B-mega-deal-13762129.php

I actually am pessimistic. One of the early paragraphs in the story is that the merge will result in some job layoffs (as these things usually do). To make this building happen, they would have had to suggest a thousand new hires or something like that.

Another interesting tidbit is that Chevron doesn't appear to be the only bidder circling. Rumor has it Occidental is interested and actually outbid Chevron.

5 hours ago, Nate99 said:

Anyone know how many sq. ft. Anadarko takes up in The Woodlands towers? 

If they moved more people DT leaving those towers available, I could see someone else sliding right in behind them. That's an attractive location too. 

One is about 910,000 sq ft, the other is about 620,000.

• Like 1

Meant to say this earlier on the last page, but if we are going to see this new Chevron tower, I don't see this being the reason why. Remember, they planned to build this long before any merger talk until prices collapsed in 2014. Sure, it can certainly play a role, but I see the larger shale boom and the return of higher prices as the reason Chevron expands.

• Like 4

I’m in the middle of an energy business merger right now. We don’t anticipate large layoffs due to the merger. Right now the energy business is desperate for talent. I would see Chevron keeping the offices in the Woodlands just to keep their employees who live up there happy. Chevron just bought a lot of acreage and TALENT. They’re not going to want to lose that talent. The people who are most likely to be let go are management and they are not a large number.

A dollar or two difference in the price of oil would have more affect on staffing levels than this merger.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Triton said:

Meant to say this earlier on the last page, but if we are going to see this new Chevron tower, I don't see this being the reason why. Remember, they planned to build this long before any merger talk until prices collapsed in 2014. Sure, it can certainly play a role, but I see the larger shale boom and the return of higher prices as the reason Chevron expands.

Agreed. Unfortunately, the economy will crash before oil gets back to those highs, so a new tower probably won’t happen for a while..

• Like 1

Jointly owned Chevron Phillips Chemical is already headquartered in The Woodlands down the street from Anadarko. The two towers up in Town Center are recently built and I believe Anadarko also owns additional land in Town Center. If anything, The Woodlands has much to gain from this acquisition. Surely if Chevron ever wanted to move HQ from California, The Woodlands' golf course-suburb feel would appeal more to the corporate types than a bustling-urban-Downtown location. The Woodlands is similar to San Ramon, just missing the topography.

• Like 2

Jointly owned Chevron Phillips Chemical is already headquartered in The Woodlands down the street from Anadarko. The two towers up in Town Center are recently built and I believe Anadarko also owns additional land in Town Center. If anything, The Woodlands has much to gain from this acquisition. Surely if Chevron ever wanted to move HQ from California, The Woodlands' golf course-suburb feel would appeal more to the corporate types than a bustling-urban-Downtown location. The Woodlands is similar to San Ramon, just missing the topography.

We'll see what happens, but Anadarko's investment in The Woodlands pales in comparison to Chevron's investment in downtown Houston.  And Chevron Phillips Chemical is in The Woodlands at least in part so that it would be completely separate from its parent companies, so that motivates against expansion in The Woodlands. My expectation is that, The Woodlands will probably suffer a net loss, and almost certainly will not see any gains as a result of this buyout.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 5

Seems to me that Chevron just gained the Suburban campus which appeals to their other big competitors.  I think Sparrow is on point regarding his speculation about an HQ location. Oftentimes large companies separate the HQ from their primary employment centers, however. So, moving some Anadarko might happen if HQ were to be placed in the Woodlands. All just pure speculation about on my part. 

5 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

We'll wee what happens, but Anadarko's investment in The Woodlands pales in comparison to Chevron's investment in downtown Houston.  And Chevron Phillips Chemical is in The Woodlands at least in part so that it would be completely separate from its parent companies, so that motivates against expansion in The Woodlands. My expectation is that, while The Woodlands will probably suffer a net loss, and almost certainly will not see any gains as a result of this buyout.

I agree. According to HBJ, Chevron has 8,000 employees downtown, which is over 3,000 more than Anadarko's company-wide headcount. Anadarko has 1,500 employees in Hackett Tower, the newer of the two. 

1400 Smith (1.2m sqft) and 1500 Louisiana (1.3m sqft) are almost double the size of Allison Tower (800k sqft) and Hackett Tower (665k sqft). The third Chevron tower is planned to be 1.7m sqft and have room for 4,200 employees. So even if they kept all Anadarko HQ employees (they wont), they could all be absorbed into the new Chevron tower. In order for downtown employees to be accommodated in the Woodlands, they would have to reduce headcount (by thousands) and build at least 1 massive office tower. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, mattyt36 said:

Fencing up at the new tower site and the old Houston Press site.  Strange ...

I saw this too...

20 minutes ago, bobruss said:

I think they're just trying to keep street people from squatting.

Its just a grass field though... if anything, it was nice green space.

For what it’s worth, Chevron announced they are building a new building in Australia. This signals they are willing to invest in real estate again. Any insiders heard of any rumblings?

• Like 4