Office Tower At 1111 Travis St.

burgower4

I believe that rendering is misleading. The winning entry to the bank of the Southwest Tower building competition, which was designed

by Helmut Jahn was supposed to be 82 stories high, if I remember correctly, which would only be 7 stories taller than the Chase Tower. That does not include the antennae on top, but if you look at the rendering it looks a lot taller than seven stories. If anything the

70 story building just in front and to the right of the Helmut Jahn tower should almost look taller due to its location in front of the 82 story tower but it looks like it just barely reaches the second to the last setback. With that in mind the perspective is not right considering the height of the three buildings I discussed.

This is the project that got the ruling by the FAA about height restrictions due to the proximity to Hobby's landing

flight patterns.

By the way Kohn Pederson Fox had a very nice looking entry in the competition also.

Time Magazine did a cover story about the competition and featured many images of the different towers and the

story about the competition and compared it to the Chicago Tribune competition. It was an amazing bit of

publicity for all of the new skyscrapers that were being built in Houston at the time.

Edited by bobruss
  • Like 1

That does not include the antennae on top, but if This is the project that got the ruling by the FAA about height restrictions due to the proximity to Hobby's landing

flight patterns.

By the way Kohn Pederson Fox had a very nice looking entry in the competition also.

Source (for the FAA)?

It is the winning design, there's another rendering from the south side that is very cartoonish looking and not an accurate representation.

However, there are a few "realistic" renderings that show the tower and it looks quite tall. Wasn't the design set for 1,200ft? Based on this west side rendering it seems a bit taller but don't forget from that angle the Chase Tower also appears shorter than Wells Fargo.

Sorry for the high jacking.

I quite like some of the other designs Jahn had, very progressive, and could have passed for towers going up 20 years after the debuted.

Edited by Montrose1100

^^^^^ An iconic tower would be awesome right there on that parking lot ^^^^^

I always thought this lot would be the best for a 90+ iconic tower. You would have a huge central tower with smaller ones "cascading" down  around it:

skyscraper_zps3jkjfpft.jpg

• Like 2

Wish Gerald Hines would buy that land and give Houston the ultimate expression from the home town boy done good with Transco Tower 2.0 but bigger.

Hines would be my pick too. I hate seeing those old renderings, and thinking how amazing this could've looked. I think downtown does need a tower that resembles this though. Whether it's as tall or about the same height as Chase tower doesn't matter to me, just the overall style.

Who owns the land now?

Hines would be my pick too. I hate seeing those old renderings, and thinking how amazing this could've looked. I think downtown does need a tower that resembles this though. Whether it's as tall or about the same height as Chase tower doesn't matter to me, just the overall style.

Who owns the land now?

Probably Rice University.  Don't they own everything inside the Loop?  ;-)

Actually, it appears that it is probably owned by the family of the late German billionaire Hugo Mann.  (I think they also own Pennzoil Place.)

Edited by Houston19514

• 2 weeks later...

I was just thinking that we're due for a hindesky photo extravaganza. Thanks for all the great pics. I really like the way this one is turning out... RIP Foley's but this is a great addition to the area. Can't wait to see the finished product.

• Like 3

I was just thinking that we're due for a hindesky photo extravaganza. Thanks for all the great pics. I really like the way this one is turning out... RIP Foley's but this is a great addition to the area. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Free Press Summer Fest and a rain filled weekend shut down my bicycle/photo opps for 2 weekends in a row so I had to hit all my regular construction projects today.

• Like 4

Their numbers have definitely increased.  The low-rise building on the corner of Milam and Rusk just removed a nice awning because a large number would sleep under it every night and would not clear out until 7:30 or so. Not the kind of thing the short-term officing folks that just renovated the space would want to show potential clients. Tranquility park is actually crowded with homeless on nice days.

I kind of figured their numbers would be proportional with Houston's growth overall.

• Like 2

I think it's the second. People drift towards the services. You would not find a congregation of homeless in Cypress because transportation services are poor, the charities ate far away and the density of people walking by to ask for some change is few and far in between.

Yes those blocks are rather tough, there are prostitutes and teenage runaways in addition to the homeless that frequent that area. But you find that in most big cities. I don't think we have more than the average big city, it's just that ours are concentrated at various stops along the red line. It will be interesting to see if the density picks up along spots on the green or purple lines, if they will find new stomping grounds.

Main has long been popular for the homeless, bit I do admit it does seem worse. Those recently sprung from jail are released at the greyhound station and some just stick around. The charities in that area make it hard to leave. I used to catch a bus at a busstop on Fannin and gray near that McDonald's. Charities would feed the homeless right there under pierce elevated and Fannin and man, it was like feeding pigeons.

Anyway, I am not bothered by them. I usually see them approach and right before they open their mouth I ask them if they can spare five bucks.

• Like 4

Yeah the homeless problem is a pretty big deal downtown. I drove down there yesterday and even though we are all optimistic about the downtown living incentive (or what ever its technical name is) I can see people having a hard time wanting to move there with all the homeless, and could really hurt retail if no one want to be on the streets.

On another note has anyone noticed how the number of homeless has increased dramatically across the street from Memorial Herman, there must be at least 40+ that hang around that statue.    

• Like 3

i noticed all those homeless hanging around that statue in Hermann Park/by the Zoo/across from Memorial Hermann too. what gives? there aren't any homeless services down there that i know of..?

and i don't know what they're going to do about the new Buffalo Bayou hike/bike trails through downtown when they open (i guess have police patrolling on bikes/golfcarts?), but there is a homeless encampment along the trails down below/to the west of Spaghetti Warehouse.

seriously. this city needs to stop ignoring the homeless. can we not figure out a program to offer some sort of minimum wage city service jobs to them like cleaning up the streets/picking up trash and what not?

Edited by cloud713
  • Like 1

I'm not worried about the ability to convince people to move downtown. .if ypu can get people to spend 1700 to live in a box..the homeless is not going to be a problem.

Now the retail district could be another matter..it a place someone who just bought something expensive might not feel comfortable walking down with say a new bought 700 dollar watch... plus if the purpose is to funnel convention goers and hotel guest down that street it needs to be DT most signature block in terms of apperances as well ..more so than even main

The homeless is a three tier problem

1)The mental ill

2) The down on their luck

3) The no longer give a bleep

The first one can only legal be detain till they are no longer a threat to themselves or the public. .other words once their meds kick in..the problem being homeless their is no mechanism to ensure they ither re up on their meds or even take them to begin with. .they are the most tragic of the three because it truly not their fault.

The second are just as I stated down on their luck..they are the one who bother me the least. .plus they prefer to Barter ( Wash your car, cut your grass..etc)most times they leave you alone and ask that you do the same.

The last group is my least liked..they have thrown in the towel on life and prefer to lounge around all day using what little money they get to get drunk or high..They rather sit in their own filth than use the free services like the community center showers (which are open to the homeless from 600 to 700)..they sit around waiting for the other free services to open ( church serving breakfast, homeless shelter serving lunch, etc).This group I dispise. They don't care about themselves or their surrounding and trash out whole areas

Edited by Moore713

Feed-the-homeless.jpg

come on HAIF, please let us not resort to arrogance in regards to our homeless population.  for all of you that may not be abreast of the current national pulse...

houston, is now being looked upon as a national model in dealing with our homeless population.  many many accolades, are now being extended to city management in regards to the overall balance, courtesy, respect, and overall professionalism being 

presented to this city's homeless.  therefore, please JUDGE NOT, LEST YE BE JUDGED.  and if this still doesn't work....

love is always the key....

• Like 6

Yeah, Main/Dallas seems to be pretty bad in terms of number of homeless people congregating, and a few police shooing them away isn't going to solve anything.

Construction on Main Street's improvements started last Friday, in addition to work already started on Dallas St and Hotel Alessandra. So I think we may start to see them relocate to other streets for the moment. It will be interesting to see what happens afterwards, especially if the city can redevelope the 1100 Main/Sakowitz block, their nest.

Edited by tigereye