Office Tower At 1111 Travis St.

burgower4

triton / hindesky, both of your illustrations are first rate as always.  however, i shall admit that i am finding it so very difficult to fall in love with this particular edifice, due to the GOD AWFUL deep teal green exterior glass.  somehow, it just reminds me of a funeral parlor.  this very foreboding exterior glass color, just does not go with main street at all!  (is it just me?)  ok, now that i have completed my moment of venting, i shall state that i am really loving the gorgeous new trees that are now being installed upon main street.  i do not think that i am mistaken.  i do not recall ever viewing these beautiful new trees before ever......

triton / hindesky, both of your illustrations are first rate as always.  however, i shall admit that i am finding it so very difficult to fall in love with this particular edifice, due to the GOD AWFUL deep teal green exterior glass.  somehow, it just reminds me of a funeral parlor.  this very foreboding exterior glass color, just does not go with main street at all!  (is it just me?)  ok, now that i have completed my moment of venting, i shall state that i am really loving the gorgeous new trees that are now being installed upon main street.  i do not think that i am mistaken.  i do not recall ever viewing these beautiful new trees before ever......

I agree, monarch.  That being said, hopefully the GFR that will run along Main will keep people's eyes low :-D

• Like 1

I agree. The glass does have a dull, dusty, cataract quality about it. But, it seems that the podium is the only part that has received the glazing so far, if I'm not mistaken. Perhaps the tower will have a different glass or maybe, when completed, it will have some kind of illuminated effect. Im hoping that there is something that we haven't yet seen. Because, so far...lifeless. On a positive note... I am appreciating the architectural contour of the structure and am looking forward to seeing some of the other architectural detailing that seems to be coming.

• Like 1

I'd like to see direct sunlight on the glass before I pass final judgement.  Looks like a gloomy day with lots of shade around. 

Even with the sunlight, it still doesn't look that great. I don't know guys, I hate to say it but I don't think there's a film covering over this glass. This looks to be the final product for the facade.

Was right across the street last week and couldn't tell if there was a film. Just looked like smoky glass to me.

I mean, it doesn't look ugly, just not as vibrant as some of the glass towers that have gone up/redone lately. I like the vibrant bluish tint of the new BHP building, or the clear aqua tint of the central square plaza. I think the glass on the leeland building is nice too, although a bit too bright.

• Like 1

I'd like to see direct sunlight on the glass before I pass final judgement. Looks like a gloomy day with lots of shade around.

On a sunny day, this is what it looks like.

https://twitter.com/thachadwick/status/587683831487991808

Yes, there's a film or glazing. Bottom windows on Dallas/Main side are clear panes.

EDIT: a few more pics from different angles.

https://twitter.com/thachadwick/status/587696001432944640

Edited by tigereye
  • Like 2

All windows are going to have some type of film so they can withstand impact from small and large objects during storms. The color probably comes from a combination of the film that is on front and then the window itself. I really don't see any problem with the color. Honestly......I think some of yall just want to be picky...

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 3

On a sunny day, this is what it looks like.

https://twitter.com/thachadwick/status/587683831487991808

Yes, there's a film or glazing. Bottom windows on Dallas/Main side are clear panes.

EDIT: a few more pics from different angles.

https://twitter.com/thachadwick/status/587696001432944640

props chadwick / tigereye, as per the different angles / clarification of color.  YUK!  just as i previously stated.... GOD AWFUL!  i am still working out of town, therefore, i would be there monitoring everything myself.  additionally, i am now seeing bits and pieces of the beautiful new trees that are now being installed upon main street.  man, these are simply gorgeous!

Edited by monarch
  • Like 2

To me it looks as if the glass is opaque and seems lifeless and unlike glass on any other buildings. If anything, we are judging an unfinished project too early. But, I don't think we are being picky. Many of us are simply expressing and noting a common, and unusual observation...not really being nit picky. Now with Randall Davis, we get not picky.

• Like 2

All of the glass installed to date is spandrel glass since its a garage, and that glass is exactly like the spandrel on 717 Texas and very similar to glass at bottom on BG Group Place.   Spandrel glass has no film on the exterior, but does have a translucent paint on the back side of the glass.  

• Like 3

This is actually a pretty tall building, I forgot to mention yesterday, I was on I-69 right before passing the GRB and this builfing is actually a pretty tall building!

I-69 ...just looks weird being mentioned. Will take some getting used to.

• Like 3