Office Tower At 1111 Travis St.

burgower4

that steel frame has been up since February, I think.... it was the last thing the luffing crane put up before they took it down

Finally made it up to a higher vantage point to take those pics, couldn't see the frames from the ground.

^^^ magnificent hindesky!  hey, if by chance, could you possibly include some illustrations of the new trees that are being placed along the new main street corridor.  from the small view that we are now enjoying.... this looks incredible!

Trees around this site didn't look new to me. 

94aBJz6.jpg

• Like 9

^^^ holy cow hindesky!  SUPERB ILLUSTRATION!  however, just how on earth did they get these newly planted trees to bloom / spread so very fast?  already, they add a warm / charming / cool / dimension to the main street corridor, it just seems that a few of them are already too large for their respective areas.  the birds and pigeons may create havoc / mayhem to pedestrians.....

Edited by monarch
  • Like 1

^^^ holy cow hindesky! SUPERB ILLUSTRATION! however, just how on earth did they get these newly planted trees to bloom / spread so very fast? already, they add a warm / charming / cool / dimension to the main street corridor, it just seems that a few of them are already too large for their respective areas. the birds and pigeons may create havoc / mayhem to pedestrians.....

They. Are. Not. New... ?

• Like 3

They. Are. Not. New... ?

really?  sorry, but i simply do not recall seeing that many trees standing right outside of the foley's / macy's department store.  no way!  now of course i am aware that there were a indeed a few planted trees here and there upon main st.  but not to THIS degree..... 

Edited by monarch
  • Like 1

^^^ holy cow hindesky! SUPERB ILLUSTRATION! however, just how on earth did they get these newly planted trees to bloom / spread so very fast? already, they add a warm / charming / cool / dimension to the main street corridor, it just seems that a few of them are already too large for their respective areas. the birds and pigeons may create havoc / mayhem to pedestrians.....

Those trees are definitely not new. They've been here, just bare for many months. No work has begun on the plaza as I walk the southbound lane daily to the office, a nice alternative compared to walking on crackhead corner.

I thought Main St construction was supposed to start coinciding with Dallas St Shopping Corridor construction? I honestly can't wait as I think the roadwork will drive out the bums.

• Like 2

Those trees are definitely not new. They've been here, just bare for many months. No work has begun on the plaza as I walk the southbound lane daily to the office, a nice alternative compared to walking on crackhead corner.

I thought Main St construction was supposed to start coinciding with Dallas St Shopping Corridor construction? I honestly can't wait as I think the roadwork will drive out the bums.

much obliged for the clarification tigereye.  however, i was under the impression that that new main street corridor tree planting was now taking place.  this is why i was so very stunned at the fullness / thickness of the trees themselves.  heck, the way that it is looking now... do they really need to plant anymore trees?  it's starting to resemble a small forest.  once i arrive back from working out of town, i shall be able to fully stroll through the areas that i have not been lately.  nonetheless, it has all become so very magnificent.  i cannot thank all of our wonderful HAIF photographers enough... for their generosity in submitting these superb illustrations.

• Like 1

I agree, though it probably wasn't really worth investing a lot of money into that site. Pretty seedy part of downtown with all the courts and homeless people around, and it's not like there would of been much economic development from it. I see one vacant site, catty corner to the "park". And who's going to want to build residential with those surroundings, or an office tower without a tunnel connection. Not many incentives to make it a decent park.

Edited by cloud713

I agree, though it probably wasn't really worth investing a lot of money into that site. Pretty seedy part of downtown with all the courts and homeless people around, and it's not like there would of been much economic development from it. I see one vacant site, catty corner to the "park". And who's going to want to build residential with those surroundings, or an office tower without a tunnel connection. Not many incentives to make it a decent park.

I've been there a couple times for jury duty. There are hundreds of folks from all over the city there each day. IMO a plaza would be welcome during jury/lunch breaks. Folks go to court for various reasons and not all reasons are nefarious. There is no reason why this area representing our city and county judicial system should be neglected.

I've been there a couple times for jury duty. There are hundreds of folks from all over the city there each day. IMO a plaza would be welcome during jury/lunch breaks. Folks go to court for various reasons and not all reasons are nefarious. There is no reason why this area representing our city and county judicial system should be neglected.

you are absolutely right, but most of the dollars funding our parks are philanthropist donations, and they want to see an economic/social benefit to their investment. was this park funded solely by the city? its a shame they couldn't scrape up more money, but with so many park improvements going on across the city its hard to complain.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2015 at 3:29 PM, Naviguessor said:

Its the roof top of the Harris County Jury assembly center, or something. It won awards, I believe.

Yes, it's on top of the county's "jury processing center"....it's a rather nice building before potential jurists are "cattled" into the basement area below.  The plaza area itself is stark.

Edited by quietstorm