Midway noting preliminary negotiations being underway for build-to-suit opportunities is interesting, even if only preliminary.  This development takes off quickly, if a company decides to relocate its headquarters here... 

Preferably a company from outside Houston and most preferable is 'companies' with interests in space exploration, EVs, clean/battery tech 😎

• Like 9

Par 3 Golf Course / Ice House and others concepts would be good. @CREguy13, I would think they are adding a Renewable Energy company for sure due to the Opportunity Zone inclusion in the recent Grand Energy Storage Challenge by the DOE. Lots of ways they can flex their muscles here. Hopefully the city and state can support them in their plans to grow. 

• Like 3

On 2/5/2021 at 10:42 AM, Mr.Clean19 said:

Par 3 Golf Course / Ice House and others concepts would be good. @CREguy13, I would think they are adding a Renewable Energy company for sure due to the Opportunity Zone inclusion in the recent Grand Energy Storage Challenge by the DOE. Lots of ways they can flex their muscles here. Hopefully the city and state can support them in their plans to grow. 

Agreed on targeting a larger Renewable Energy company and wasn't aware of the Opportunity Zone inclusion.  I also have to think Midway is working to lure back KBR.  It adds to the history of the site, they are currently in a desolate part of downtown, and the company has made big changes in recent years so a move like this adds to the company's transformation.  Going back to the old Brown & Root 'roots' makes a ton of sense in my opinion.

• Like 6

On 2/11/2021 at 12:09 PM, EastEndHeritage said:

I agree with your sentiment, but those things are obnoxiously loud.

A "feature not a bug" if you market it right!. 

There were a couple of them running the bayou near downtown a while back. Sounded like hell from inside the buildings. 

Edited by Nate99
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Naviguessor said:

Midway has updated their East River Retail Brochure. 

https://eastriverhtx.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/210223-East-River-Retail-Brochure.pdf

It refines the retail spaces which are offered, with a couple slight redesigns of the buildings as well as splits Phase 1 into sub phases A and B.   See page 10 of the brochure.   

When is the start date on this project?

25 minutes ago, HOUCAJUN said:

Does anyone really understand what this development will become? This will be THE area. Just when I thought I found and area I want to live, here comes East River. Well back to the drawing board for me.

How? It’s still cut off from the West Loop. Which is THE area, currently.

• Like 2

It is surprisingly hard to get an urban atmosphere without financing it the way urban atmospheres were actually financed.  These building blocks are never going to add up to that feel.  

Midway cannot fake one management/decisionmaking process as another, and a unique neighborhood atmosphere involves thousands of different owners' choices, not a couple of design firms decorating for one owner.

Houston Heights was promoted by a central player with an 1890s financing stack, yes, and so were denser parts of many cities all over the country that now have lofts and offices and workshops -- but the pieces were small enough that many could add to them and modify them personally over time.  Look at these plans and ask yourself where that would ever happen here.

Edited by strickn

I know I kind of stated it earlier in this thread but my main issue that remains with this development is that it currently looks like any other mixed-use development I've seen in other cities.

Sure, that sounds great but it's name is East River and it's placing literally zero emphasis on the water. It's placing all of it on two streets that run down the center of it. It needs to shift the focus more towards Buffalo Bayou. All I see is a single sidewalk going down the water... where's the patios, where's the docks, where's the steps that take you all the way down to the water... where's anything indicating this is a RIVER development. It should, at the very least, have some of these characteristics:

Early 2020 start eyed for River North project | Nashville Post

Edit: 

I can already hear some people saying that at least East River is providing some natural landscaping, some trees and what not along the river. Again, that's great. I'm not saying the river needs to be lined with wood for patios and concrete. 

Here's what I'm saying. Here, look at these 2 pictures for East River

East-River-Phase-1_view5_6-20_2680x1400_

^ In this photo above, nothing is pointing towards the water. It's just a sidewalk.

All the restaurant and bar activity is on the street in this next photo:

EastRiver_Exterior_%D0%A1am3_HD3500_1220

Tell me I'm not the only one seeing a huge missed opportunity here for East RIVER.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, strickn said:

In urban evolution those are less of a cul-de-sac than this is.  They will be torn down and replaced piecemeal.  After its "phases" are finished East River will be finished and difficult to upgrade.

Good. Because it looks terrific. There are Exxon stations in Houston that have been in existence since the 70's. How many years has the East River property had weeds growing all over it?

Given this design, I'm most happy that they didn't run a street down the riverfront (bayoufront?).  Even if the current plan is only an enlarged sidewalk, it's all *pedestrian* at this point.  So hopefully as this development matures and is a success, they can grow the pedestrian infrastructure, build out plazas along the water, and add a few smaller commercial structures with patios.  All those things.  

Basically, I'm glad they haven't closed the door on that yet, even if the current focus seems to be more traditional streetscapes that remind more of the River Oaks District than something like the DC Waterfront development.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Triton said:

I know I kind of stated it earlier in this thread but my main issue that remains with this development is that it currently looks like any other mixed-use development I've seen in other cities.

Sure, that sounds great but it's name is East River and it's placing literally zero emphasis on the water. It's placing all of it on two streets that run down the center of it. It needs to shift the focus more towards Buffalo Bayou. All I see is a single sidewalk going down the water... where's the patios, where's the docks, where's the steps that take you all the way down to the water... where's anything indicating this is a RIVER development. It should, at the very least, have some of these characteristics:

Edit: 

I can already hear some people saying that at least East River is providing some natural landscaping, some trees and what not along the river. Again, that's great. I'm not saying the river needs to be lined with wood for patios and concrete. 

Here's what I'm saying. Here, look at these 2 pictures for East River

^ In this photo above, nothing is pointing towards the water. It's just a sidewalk.

All the restaurant and bar activity is on the street in this next photo:

Tell me I'm not the only one seeing a huge missed opportunity here for East RIVER.

Would something like this be better?

image.png.fb7b26928442febfadae7fa00a968b6b.png

• Like 4