• 4 weeks later...

In general, I'm not a fan of a single entity buying up so many acres and building a "community" like this from scratch, because I prefer more organic "fine grain" growth patterns.

However, this seems pretty good all things considering. It's very mixed use (a no-brainer in Houston anyway), has no streets larger than two lanes, and at least at a surface level seems to prioritizes pedestrian and bike traffic. A personal highlight is how they're building a new place for the Houston Maritime Museum right on the banks, that's going to be a beautiful place to hang out if it all comes together.

If I were to be nitpicky, I wonder if there are City of Houston regs/codes that are forcing the buildings to have such large setbacks, or if that's part of the style. Since it's 5 phases, maybe we'll see the effects of changing city codes all in this one development. It would also be great to see dedicated on or off street bike paths built in, or some better love shown to the bus route that goes by there. Maybe if the area continues to densify, we'll see a BRT line or something? The development def needs better transportation options than just the highway, it's a waste this close to the city center to force everyone to drive.

• Like 7

On 10/13/2020 at 2:52 PM, pm91 said:

the land looks pretty empty with the exception being a mural made out of shipping containers. No equipment on site.

Not a great sign. I appreciate them engaging the area with art and a drive-in theatre, but I would prefer to see boots on the ground. Makes me wonder what these "pending agreements with the city" entail.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, ljchou said:

Not a great sign. I appreciate them engaging the area with art and a drive-in theatre, but I would prefer to see boots on the ground. Makes me wonder what these "pending agreements with the city" entail.

We are in an election year and recession so it's kind of interesting people want huge projects built with these horrible fundamentals lols...

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, ljchou said:

Relax. Development, especially at this scale, takes time.

What "pending agreements with the city" are you referring to?

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Jensen is being resurfaced from Clinton to Navigation. Unsure if it is related to East River, the Navigation/Jensen/Runnels roundabout project, or just regular construction work.

Regardless of what it's for, resurfacing Jensen is appreciated.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

All architectural brick accents in intersections and roads are a bad idea in Houston. The soil plus the climate makes mother nature chew shit up here. 

Those accents on Harrisburg already have potholes (speed bumps.) Washington roundabout is an amusement park ride and should charge admission.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

On 11/7/2020 at 1:46 PM, zaphod said:

Is it even possible to scrape off the asphalt? It seems to be flaking off naturally but how do you grind it down without tearing up the brick too?

Yes. Asphalt peels relatively easily and there are contractors that have large road-sized heaters that roll over the roadway and melt the tar for easier removal. The photos above are after the roadway had been scraped for a re-paving project that's going on right now. 

Brick roads built here more recently are atrocious examples of crappy engineering. The Washington roundabout is easily the best "worst" example of what can happen. In the instance of Jensen, those area roads have been there for 100 years and are in relatively great shape. 

Edited by HOUTEX
  • Like 6

On 11/10/2020 at 1:17 PM, samagon said:

nope.

there are plenty of examples worldwide of roadways being constructed of brick in far worse climates than our own and the quality of those roads is far better than even our concrete roadways.

that doesn't make it a good idea for Houston, we just shouldn't use a different excuse to cover for the real reason, which is that we as a city don't want to pay the taxes necessary to support the cost of better quality roads, of any type.

There's an easy solution: make rights-of-way narrower. 

In EaDo, for example, something like 40% of land area is public right-of-way. If you increase the ratio of taxable land to paved surface by a factor of 3X or so, you could afford a lot nicer paving.

• Like 1

Well, the purpose of brick or special paving would be decorative, aka "place making" or something. Like a district where people walk around visiting adjacent businesses or attractions and you want it to look good. I don't think that's so costly nor would it ever be needed or justified outside a few districts.

Honestly I always thought Houston had pretty nice concrete roads with curbs and sidewalks and grass medians and stuff.

Edited by zaphod
  • Like 1

I wouldn't say it's purely decorative. Sett paving can last a lot longer than concrete or asphalt (centuries in many cases). And it has the beneficial side effect of slowing down vehicular traffic.

On sidewalks in places with street trees, brick pavers (or, even better, Portuguese stone) undulate naturally with growth in the trees' root system, whereas concrete sidewalks crack. The material is ubiquitous on the sidewalks of residential neighborhoods in Rio de Janeiro, for example, for exactly this reason.

• Like 4