4 hours ago, Naviguessor said:

Interesting.   This ^^ is much further east than Phase 1.  Must be part a start of the 3 par, unless they are going stabilize that bank.   

I thought it was probably work to stabilize the bank....that curve got pretty messed up with Harvey

Edited by HoustonMidtown
  • Like 2

On 5/13/2021 at 11:22 AM, 79ta said:

It's almost like ABC 13 reads this forum and is trying to stir up conversation. They titled the segment "Houston's own River Walk? See what's going up along Buffalo Bayou"

here's a link the video - https://abc13.com/east-river-houston-buffalo-bayou-fifth-ward-mixed-use/10613983/

I think every project ever done on the bayou has had at least one local media source saying "Houston's Riverwalk?" And any park larger than a city block ever built or contemplated in or near downtown has been reported as "Houston's own Central Park?" This is not so much how bad our media is as our media's awareness that our population is so simple, the majority wouldn't recognize anything but those two examples. Or actually it's both, the ignorant media and the philistine population existing in kind of a symbiotic, mutually-reinforcing relationship.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, thedistrict84 said:

"How many fluff pieces are we going to get on this project?!? Just break ground already, for god's sake!" 

-Every single HAIFer 

I find it interesting that whenever this project is mentioned on Nextdoor, it seems people are SO against it, so then I retreat back to HAIF to be among my excited people. 

• Like 9

25 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

I think every project ever done on the bayou has had at least one local media source saying "Houston's Riverwalk?" And any park larger than a city block ever built or contemplated in or near downtown has been reported as "Houston's own Central Park?" This is not so much how bad our media is as our media's awareness that our population is so simple, the majority wouldn't recognize anything but those two examples. Or actually it's both, the ignorant media and the philistine population existing in kind of a symbiotic, mutually-reinforcing relationship.

they're easily relatable assets.

saying a park near downtown will be Houston's equivalent of the Tuileries Garden doesn't make a lot of sense to people who haven't visited Paris, and even of those that have, they may not recognize it as the park that's next to the Louvre.

thanks to movie magic, everyone has heard of central park.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, 77011transplant said:

I find it interesting that whenever this project is mentioned on Nextdoor, it seems people are SO against it, so then I retreat back to HAIF to be among my excited people. 

That is interesting and not at all what I've observed on my local neighborhood groups on Nextdoor, which is based all around the East River site.  The entire local neighborhood is very eager for this to get started, in fact it is a primary reason so many people have moved to the area and why so many homes are being built.       Where is the opposition coming from, that you have observed?  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Naviguessor said:

That is interesting and not at all what I've observed on my local neighborhood groups on Nextdoor, which is based all around the East River site.  The entire local neighborhood is very eager for this to get started, in fact it is a primary reason so many people have moved to the area and why so many homes are being built.       Where is the opposition coming from, that you have observed?  

It's usually the "you don't like trains, you shouldn't have moved here" type.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Montrose1100 said:

It's usually the "you don't like trains, you shouldn't have moved here" type.

lol.

trains going places, that's fine, train horns, that's expected. I bet most people are fully ready for these things. heck, I stopped hearing the train horns after about 3 months.

trains blocking street crossings is not expected, and shouldn't be a thing.

over the past year this has gotten far worse. not sure what's the cause, but someone needs to revisit the whole 'a train can block a crossing for up to an hour' rule. 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, samagon said:

trains blocking street crossings is not expected, and shouldn't be a thing.

over the past year this has gotten far worse. not sure what's the cause, but someone needs to revisit the whole 'a train can block a crossing for up to an hour' rule. 

Someone in the zoom meeting with Rep. Garcia joked that the quickest way to get UP to fix the issue would be to allow those blocked by the train the right to start unloading its cargo after 30 mins of waiting.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, Naviguessor said:

I'm over in the Second Ward and a lot of it seems to be "why build here when it'll flood/ it's a toxic waste site" or "should use the money on other development/ other parts of town" or "it's going to fail like such-and-such other development" It's really disheartening. But I'm not sure whether it's the new transplants or old time residents that oppose it. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, 77011transplant said:

I'm over in the Second Ward and a lot of it seems to be "why build here when it'll flood/ it's a toxic waste site" or "should use the money on other development/ other parts of town" or "it's going to fail like such-and-such other development" It's really disheartening. But I'm not sure whether it's the new transplants or old time residents that oppose it. 

I am in Second Ward as well, and see those posts pop up sometimes too. I think it's mostly the long term residents who view it as another catalyst for gentrification and further displacement. While this project obviously will not displace anyone directly, it will undoubtedly contribute to further development that might and will put upwards pressure on property taxes for any homes in the general vicinity, which are already a burden on long term residents and their families. 

I'm not exactly gung-ho about gentrification in a general sense, but when the alternative is empty overgrown lots, dilapidated houses, abandoned cars, and dumping grounds full of appliances, tires, building supplies, etc. in the shadows of downtown (as is the case in the East River area of Fifth Ward and Second Ward across the Bayou), it is easy to be a cheerleader for Team Gentrification. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, thedistrict84 said:

Is this in the area further east (Phase III I guess) where the Par 3 golf course and icehouse has been proposed?

Yes. This metal structure will become the clubhouse. This is south of the KBR building and closer to Hirsch Road/Later Phases than Jensen/Phase I location.

• Like 2

On 5/25/2021 at 10:51 AM, samagon said:

they're easily relatable assets.

saying a park near downtown will be Houston's equivalent of the Tuileries Garden doesn't make a lot of sense to people who haven't visited Paris, and even of those that have, they may not recognize it as the park that's next to the Louvre.

thanks to movie magic, everyone has heard of central park.

I would just say "an urban park" and not try to compare a small park downtown to something 843 acres in size. It's not really relatable at all.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

I would just say "an urban park" and not try to compare a small park downtown to something 843 acres in size. It's not really relatable at all.

fair point, central park is very unique in it's size and location in an urban core, but it's a very well known park in the urban core of a city, which is the part that is relatable even to a 12 acre park, when central park is as big as it is.

which is similar to saying that this is going to be like the San Antonio river walk. not at all comparable. it is still a relatable concept in that it is water front property that is going to be developed with water front views in mind. but then what it will be is not at all similar after that. it is still a concept that people can see in their minds after very few words are spoken.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, samagon said:

fair point, central park is very unique in it's size and location in an urban core, but it's a very well known park in the urban core of a city, which is the part that is relatable even to a 12 acre park, when central park is as big as it is.

which is similar to saying that this is going to be like the San Antonio river walk. not at all comparable. it is still a relatable concept in that it is water front property that is going to be developed with water front views in mind. but then what it will be is not at all similar after that. it is still a concept that people can see in their minds after very few words are spoken.

We are generally moving toward agreement. Perhaps our only difference is in what counts as a "relatable concept" and whether it should be necessary. If you're telling your tv audience about a new urban park, and you think you need to mention that 843 acre park in New York City for them to get it, then I will go with my original comment - you have a very dumbed-down newscast for a pretty unsophisticated population. I think the example actually works against your goal, since most people who have never heard of an urban park other than Central Park are the same people who think that Central Park is a horrid place where everyone gets mugged and/or raped, so WHY WOULD WE EVER WANT SUCH A THING IN HOUSTON? So I don't know what you do at that point. Obviously if you mention any other park in the world people will be totally lost. Maybe the public garden in Boston, hoping that some of them at least read Make Way for Ducklings? I don't know.

• Like 2