1 hour ago, EastEndHeritage said:

The Trumpers got to eat somewhere I suppose. I went to the one in Rice Military several years back. It was empty and the food was bland and overpriced. Never went back and that was before the shenanigans from below.

https://houston.eater.com/2020/4/23/21232948/memorial-federal-grill-harris-county-reopening-coronavirus

I've been to the one on Shepherd a few years ago and it was decent. There's too many grills. I thought this was the old Confederate House (based on your comment), turned State Grille, then wondered why it didn't show up in City Centre - which is the Capital Grille, and they're good... for a chain. 

Anyway, a decent Steakhouse would be nice round these here east parts. If anything their bars are always a nice stop. 

2 hours ago, EastEndHeritage said:

The Trumpers got to eat somewhere I suppose. I went to the one in Rice Military several years back. It was empty and the food was bland and overpriced. Never went back and that was before the shenanigans from below.

https://houston.eater.com/2020/4/23/21232948/memorial-federal-grill-harris-county-reopening-coronavirus

Seconded. Went there last week for a work lunch (guess who picked it) and yeah, damn. Insanely overpriced (lunch short rib for $36) and really bland (risotto and bread definitely from a box). But hey, they don't allow masks in there and neither the waitstaff not kitchen staff wear masks, so that's cool!

• Haha 3

On 8/31/2021 at 2:44 PM, Naviguessor said:

There doesn't seem to be much overlap from the list which was found/shared a few months back.  Here is what I can see from HEEC photo.  It's not all readable:  

Proposed:

1. Ace Bounce (a Ping Pong, shuffleboard, Beer Pong party bar) from Chicago...  mmmkay

2. Federal American Grill

3. Duo Coffee & Pliates

4. Cutthroat (Barbershop) 

5. Waterside or Watershed 

6. Plank

7. Orange Theory

8. Hopdoddy Burger Bar

9. HS

In Negotiation 

1. Ambriza (Social Mexican Kitchen)

2 Astorian (Event Space / Rooftop)

3. Lick

4. Urban Dental

5. ES

6. ??

Proposed

#5 - If it's Watershed, might be a second location of this spot: https://www.watershedhtx.com/

#7 - I am all about Orange Theory moving in closer to me

In Negotiation

#2 - Interesting that the Astorian is trying to build another space. The one near the Target on Sawyer is beautiful but like right next to that Target. Maybe this space will have a nice view of the Bayou/ Downtown.

Edited by 77011transplant

• 3 weeks later...

Yes.  5th Ward.   There is a guy on the Midway Payroll who plans the windows, among other things, I assume.  

So, trying to figure out this course.  To me, it appears that there are 18 tees for 9 holes. Maybe it is the reverse of that, but it's not how I am interpreting it.  Not quite sure how that would work when the course gets busy... if people are playing from 18 tees.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, cspwal said:

I count 18 is that just me?

9 greens, 18 tee boxes. I guess the foursome on hole 1 plays, then waits for the group on hole 10. All 8 people are shooting at the same hole. The next set of tee boxes are about the same distance from the previous green. 

Looks interesting to me. I'll have to pull out the clubs once my tendonitis goes away.

• Like 5

On 8/27/2021 at 9:54 AM, ljchou said:

One of the first confirmed leases I've heard of is Broham Grocery (a small box, artisan bodega currently in north Houston). Owned by Chef Jonny Rhodes of Indigo. He also owns Food Fight Farms. His mission is to combat the lack of food availability in lower socioeconomic communities.  He's specifically targeting the fifth ward as the primary community served with this new location.

Excited he'll be a member of the community.

https://www.instagram.com/broham_groceries/?hl=en

My fingers are crossed. I think it will be a great addition. I enjoyed the pantry & specialty items sold last year. Thank you!

• Like 3

There doesn't seem to be much overlap from the list which was found/shared a few months back.  Here is what I can see from HEEC photo.  It's not all readable: 

In Negotiation

Lick

Austin-based ice cream parlor Lick is opening a scoop shop at Midway's East River development.

Last month, the company established the entity Lick East River LLC.

Last year, one of the Austin publications reported locations are in the works for Houston. This will be one of a few planned Lick Honest Ice Creams for the Houston area.

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 9

On 1/27/2021 at 11:14 AM, Naviguessor said:

Wow, Urb.  Lot's of meaty nuggets in this:

https://issuu.com/midway2/docs/210126_junior_achievement_rfp_response/6?ff

Aside from the Junior Achievement pitch, there is a list of prospective retail tenants and restaurants including Common Bond, Urban Eats, Southerleigh (From San Antonio), a Creek Group outlet, etc...   a Par-3 Golf course & Driving Range and Ice House on the eastern end of the property... Awesome! 

On 1/29/2021 at 9:42 AM, ljchou said:

I also see Yoga, Orange Theory, Juiceland, Egg Haus, Tenfold Coffee, Local Foods, Fourth and Nomad, Light Years Wine(!!!)

No grocery store, though. Could've sworn that was in P1 proposal/agreement with the fifth ward group.

On 2/1/2021 at 10:48 AM, ljchou said:

IMG_1161(2).jpg.2941098afaf2bcd1cc07314fa3733046.jpgIMG_1160(2).jpg.b507a975d71306a1a6077da6d8c623fc.jpg

Text:

"White-boxed spaces are designed to lower the barrier to entry for these local makers.

The cost and complexity of managing a full-scale build-out if often why young brands avoid brick and mortar expansion.

The names on the merchandising plan are purely representation of categories and uses. There are multiple brands that could successfully serve our coffee, juice, or yoga needs but the key is the placement of each within the project.

Our immediate focus is on the larger users in office and retail building along Buffalo Bayou, as they will be early adapters and set the tone for the project considering the buildings adjacent to both the Central Plaza and Bayou connections.

Current Tenant Mix:

2k SF restaurant by Fifth Ward resident and Multi-nominee of the James Beard Award
4k SF cultural grocer/market
2k SF East End Barbershop
2.5k SF market of locally sources products from Fifth Ward retailers
10k SF Architectural Firm
20k SF multi-strategy holding company
5k SF ral estate development company
15k SF chain rooftop event space and cocktail lounge
3k SF bank
Preliminary negotiations are underway with tenants and build-to-suit opportunities.

Current On-Site Activations:

Moonstruck Drive-In Theater at East River specialized in first-run films and classics playing every Fri-Sun. In January on 2021, the drive-in will be a satellite location for the Sundance Film Festival. Additionally, the drive-in acts as the venue for monthly private events for non-profits, corporate and community functions.

East River Gold, a planned par-3 golf course with driving range and ice-house restaurant concept will be the eastern end of the property. Construction to begin 2021.

Plans are underway to bring a black-owned and operated urban farm to East River, offering access to fresh produce and community programming.

So, a month after Midway published its merchandising plan for East River (then removed it), Gatlin's BBQ announced a second location is possibly in the works.

Visit Houston highlighted Gatlin's BBQ in a collection of Instagram stories in late February. In one of the videos, Gatlin's said they're looking to expand. If the proposed merchandising plan is accurate, East River is likely the the second location.

Here is the video:

I can't embed it, but here is the link. Imgur automatically disables the volume, so you'll have to unmute the video.

https://i.imgur.com/5JQsIFW.mp4

• Like 7

On 10/16/2021 at 1:26 PM, Naviguessor said:

To the far right you can see where they raised the grade where the first building (building F) will go.  It’s raised about 8 feet. Curious to know if the intention is to raise the grade of the whole phase. 

Remembering my school days, imagine my amusement that they raised the grade to F.🤣

• Haha 1

On 1/27/2021 at 11:14 AM, Naviguessor said:

Wow, Urb.  Lot's of meaty nuggets in this:

https://issuu.com/midway2/docs/210126_junior_achievement_rfp_response/6?ff

Aside from the Junior Achievement pitch, there is a list of prospective retail tenants and restaurants including Common Bond, Urban Eats, Southerleigh (From San Antonio), a Creek Group outlet, etc...   a Par-3 Golf course & Driving Range and Ice House on the eastern end of the property... Awesome! 

On 1/29/2021 at 10:33 AM, JBTX said:

Yeah, looks like a specialty shop only: "4,000 SF cultural grocer/market"

On 2/1/2021 at 10:48 AM, ljchou said:

IMG_1161(2).jpg.2941098afaf2bcd1cc07314fa3733046.jpgIMG_1160(2).jpg.b507a975d71306a1a6077da6d8c623fc.jpg

Text:

"White-boxed spaces are designed to lower the barrier to entry for these local makers.

The cost and complexity of managing a full-scale build-out if often why young brands avoid brick and mortar expansion.

The names on the merchandising plan are purely representation of categories and uses. There are multiple brands that could successfully serve our coffee, juice, or yoga needs but the key is the placement of each within the project.

Our immediate focus is on the larger users in office and retail building along Buffalo Bayou, as they will be early adapters and set the tone for the project considering the buildings adjacent to both the Central Plaza and Bayou connections.

Current Tenant Mix:

2k SF restaurant by Fifth Ward resident and Multi-nominee of the James Beard Award
4k SF cultural grocer/market

On 8/27/2021 at 9:54 AM, ljchou said:

One of the first confirmed leases I've heard of is Broham Grocery (a small box, artisan bodega currently in north Houston). Owned by Chef Jonny Rhodes of Indigo. He also owns Food Fight Farms. His mission is to combat the lack of food availability in lower socioeconomic communities.  He's specifically targeting the fifth ward as the primary community served with this new location.

Excited he'll be a member of the community.

https://www.instagram.com/broham_groceries/?hl=en

Midway released an annoucement regarding additional tenants for the East River development in Houston's Fifth Ward.

The press release confirms details from East River's merchandising plan leaked earlier this year of a cultural market for the development. It also confirms @ljchou's post a few weeks ago.

Here is the article published yesterday on Bisnow:

An award-winning chef’s African heritage and soul food grocery is among the first announced retail tenants in Phase 1 of the $2.5B East River mixed-use project being developed by Midway.

Broham Fine Soul Food & Groceries originally opened in 2020 in the Trinity Gardens community and was created by acclaimed chef Jonny Rhodes, who became a national name for his now-shuttered restaurant Indigo, also in north Houston. Rhodes closed Indigo, in part, to focus on Broham and his efforts to tackle food insecurity and lack of land ownership among Black communities. The new store will focus on house-made and locally sourced grocery items.

When it opens in 2023, the new Broham will sit in a 4K SF space in The Depot, a ground-level area of the 150-acre development. The project broke ground in August.

https://www.bisnow.com/houston/news/retail/grocery-from-acclaimed-houston-chef-one-of-first-announced-retail-tenants-in-25b-east-river-project-110679

And from Houston Business Journal a few days ago:

Broham Fine Soul Food & Groceries will occupy a 4,000-square-foot space in The Depot (the ground level of a garage structure). The food purveyor is a new concept created by Jonny Rhodes, a local James Beard Award-nominated chef, who until earlier this year ran nationally acclaimed Neo-soul food restaurant Indigo. His new boutique bodega is focused on providing self-sustainable goods, which include locally sourced seafood, meats, produce and freshly baked bread as well as cheese and specialty condiments.

Rhodes’ farm, Food Fight Farms in Cleveland, will be the store’s primary supplier, providing handmade, pre-packaged items that shoppers can purchase.

In what he hopes will create a “green circle,” Rhodes plans to offer coupons to customers in exchange for produce purchased in the store that the customer later discovered wasn’t needed. The chef also plans to offer a membership program for avid home chefs to provide discounts, coupons, farm tours and access to specialty products from around the world.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2021/10/26/midway-east-river-jonny-rhodes-lick-urbn-dental.html

Maybe Jonny Rhodes will also open another restaurant that will be part of the East River development? The info shared in the deleated leaked documents related to East River (linked above) lists a restaurant from a Fifth Ward resident who's also a James Beard nominee. That sounds a lot like Rhodes.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

In Negotiation 

Lick

On 10/16/2021 at 9:12 PM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Austin-based ice cream parlor Lick is opening a scoop shop at Midway's East River development.

Last month, the company established the entity Lick East River LLC.

Last year, one of the Austin publications reported locations are in the works for Houston. This will be one of a few planned Lick Honest Ice Creams for the Houston area.

Midway also officially announced Lick is leasing retail space at East River in Houston's Fifth Ward.

Here it is from yesterday's Bisnow article:

Austin-based Lick Honest Ice Cream...will open around the same time as Broham. The... storefronts are among the first retailers advertised for the space.

https://www.bisnow.com/houston/news/retail/grocery-from-acclaimed-houston-chef-one-of-first-announced-retail-tenants-in-25b-east-river-project-110679

And from Houston Business Journal a few days ago:

Meanwhile, Austin-based Lick Honest Ice Creams will open in a 1,124-square-foot space in East River 1 (Building C). Co-founders Anthony Sobotik and Chad Palmatier craft artisanal ice creams using peak-season ingredients sourced from local farmers and food creators that are free of soy, palm oil and preservatives. Everything from the sauces and syrups to the cookies, cakes and marshmallows are made by hand in Lick’s kitchen.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2021/10/26/midway-east-river-jonny-rhodes-lick-urbn-dental.html

Midway also announed another retail tenant: Urbn Dental.

Here's the Bisnow article with other details pertaining to East River.

Urbn Dental also will open around the same time as Broham. The three storefronts are among the first retailers advertised for the space, which previously announced Houston-based architecture firm Method Architecture and Teal, a Houston firm that creates hot water systems. Owners of wedding venue The Astorian will open a 20K SF event space and rooftop bar around the same time.

The entire East River development includes 250K SF of Class-A office space, 110K SF of retail, multifamily and single-family residential, and 13K SF of green space. Set within the historic Fifth Ward, near the East End District, it is poised to be among the largest developments in Houston’s Inner Loop, according to Midway.

East River’s groundbreaking was delayed due to Covid-19 and supply chain issues, including the skyrocketing costs of lumber. Midway Executive Vice President of Development David Hightower previously told Bisnow that timeline adjustments were made due to supply delays, though there wasn’t a significant overall impact.

Limestone Commercial Real Estate’s Brandi McDonald Sikes and Sobi Qazi serve as exclusive leasing agents for East River’s office spaces, with Lacee Jacobs and Laura Harness of Midway handling retail.

4 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

Midway also announed another retail tenant: Urbn Dental.

Here's the Bisnow article with other details pertaining to East River.

Urbn Dental also will open around the same time as Broham. The three storefronts are among the first retailers advertised for the space, which previously announced Houston-based architecture firm Method Architecture and Teal, a Houston firm that creates hot water systems. Owners of wedding venue The Astorian will open a 20K SF event space and rooftop bar around the same time.

The entire East River development includes 250K SF of Class-A office space, 110K SF of retail, multifamily and single-family residential, and 13K SF of green space. Set within the historic Fifth Ward, near the East End District, it is poised to be among the largest developments in Houston’s Inner Loop, according to Midway.

East River’s groundbreaking was delayed due to Covid-19 and supply chain issues, including the skyrocketing costs of lumber. Midway Executive Vice President of Development David Hightower previously told Bisnow that timeline adjustments were made due to supply delays, though there wasn’t a significant overall impact.

Limestone Commercial Real Estate’s Brandi McDonald Sikes and Sobi Qazi serve as exclusive leasing agents for East River’s office spaces, with Lacee Jacobs and Laura Harness of Midway handling retail.

I will never in a million years understand why someone would go to a dentist in a high rent location. They do not pay that rent bill by charging you less, they do so by charging you more and performing work you don't need. 

1 hour ago, H-Town Man said:

I will never in a million years understand why someone would go to a dentist in a high rent location. They do not pay that rent bill by charging you less, they do so by charging you more and performing work you don't need. 

There is a dentist as well as an optometrist and a primary-care medical clinic leasing space at MKT. It struck me as kind of an odd location for medical providers given that MKT seems to primarily be focused on fashion/lifestyle/dining.

• Like 2

There is a dentist as well as an optometrist and a primary-care medical clinic leasing space at MKT. It struck me as kind of an odd location for medical providers given that MKT seems to primarily be focused on fashion/lifestyle/dining.

I think it also has a lot to do with landlords liking these longer term tenants, its also the reason why a lot of strip centers want the Methodist or St Lukes doc in a box.  Small business retail / restaurants have a LOT of turnover and it makes your proforma look better to have more reliable tenants. 

• Like 2