They have updated their marketing flyer and it appears the Maritime Museum is no longer part of Phase 1... they are now showing that site as a smaller boutique office/retail building.  Hopefully the Museum is planned for a later phase and didn't fall through. That would be a real bummer. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 5

• 2 weeks later...

I don't like the design either and feel it totally turns away from the water versus opening up towards it. They should have built a corniche style road or plaza and oriented all the buildings towards the water which would have looked more natural. They tout so much things on urbanism and then build these bland boxes full of massive garages that look no different than Hardy Yards.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

@monarch Can you provide a link to the article please?

Maybe this will occur in future phases. More people will be flocking to the area to live, work, visit by then.

^^^ oooops!  meant to add the attribute with the initial posting.  here you go...

https://www.papercitymag.com/real-estate/east-river-houston-development-midway-mega-project-waterfront-restaurants/

• Like 2

Is the new Maritime Museum now cancelled for good or will it emerge again in the future?

I feel like that would be an interesting anchor for regional tourism, like people from Conroe or Katy would have an occasion to come down to this area and then they would eat out and pay for parking and whatever.

• Like 3

On 12/19/2020 at 5:30 PM, zaphod said:

Is the new Maritime Museum now cancelled for good or will it emerge again in the future?

I feel like that would be an interesting anchor for regional tourism, like people from Conroe or Katy would have an occasion to come down to this area and then they would eat out and pay for parking and whatever.

New articles say it has moved from P1 to P2

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to East River: KBR Site Puchased By Midway

Hot Dang!  Here we go.   

A curious little thing is taking place close to the center of the site, near Bayou Street.  Two 20ft containers were placed side-by-side and welded together to form a 20ft x 16ft room.  Large doors on the 20ft sides open-up completely so both sides can be completely open.  The room is insulated, paneled, and climate controlled.  Inside is a stylish little set-up, with table, chairs, couch, coffee table,  etc...  Conference lounge.  It is not a construction trailer and there are not any Port-a-lets.  I think that it must be place for Midway to bring prospective clients.  The whole little set-up, is just curious and quite elaborate.   It's just interesting.  

• Like 7

Wow, Urb.  Lot's of meaty nuggets in this:

https://issuu.com/midway2/docs/210126_junior_achievement_rfp_response/6?ff

Aside from the Junior Achievement pitch, there is a list of prospective retail tenants and restaurants including Common Bond, Urban Eats, Southerleigh (From San Antonio), a Creek Group outlet, etc...   a Par-3 Golf course & Driving Range and Ice House on the eastern end of the property... Awesome! 

• Like 5

On 1/27/2021 at 11:14 AM, Naviguessor said:

Wow, Urb.  Lot's of meaty nuggets in this:

Aside from the Junior Achievement pitch, there is a list of prospective retail tenants and restaurants including Common Bond, Urban Eats, Southerleigh (From San Antonio), a Creek Group outlet, etc...   a Par-3 Golf course & Driving Range and Ice House on the eastern end of the property... Awesome! 

I also see Yoga, Orange Theory, Juiceland, Egg Haus, Tenfold Coffee, Local Foods, Fourth and Nomad, Light Years Wine(!!!)

No grocery store, though. Could've sworn that was in P1 proposal/agreement with the fifth ward group.

Edited by ljchou
  • Like 5

46 minutes ago, ljchou said:

No grocery store, though. Could've sworn that was in P1 proposal/agreement with the fifth ward group.

The large Commercial Reserve at the corner of Clinton & Jensen would be the obvious location of a grocery store/apartment stack.   The lack of any other details for this plot is conspicuous.  My feeling is that there just are not enough local residents to support a major grocer just yet.  One The Laura, The Mill, another possible Marquette building,  others projects on the other side of Jensen, not to mention the ongoing townhouse farms north of Clinton and south of the bayou are all built and occupied, then we might see a grocery store here.  Might be about 4 to 5 years, however.  

• Like 2

On 1/29/2021 at 10:36 AM, Naviguessor said:

The large Commercial Reserve at the corner of Clinton & Jensen would be the obvious location of a grocery store/apartment stack.   The lack of any other details for this plot is conspicuous.  My feeling is that there just are not enough local residents to support a major grocer just yet.  One The Laura, The Mill, another possible Marquette building,  others projects on the other side of Jensen, not to mention the ongoing townhouse farms north of Clinton and south of the bayou are all built and occupied, then we might see a grocery store here.  Might be about 4 to 5 years, however.  

I have to disagree with the idea that 2nd Ward doesn't have enough residents to support a large grocery store. Most of the people in that neighborhood drive all the way down to Cesar Chavez Blvd where there are 2 grocery stores. I hated having to do that when I lived there. If one had been closer I def would have used it. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 4

@j-cuevas713    No doubt a grocery store here, anywhere near here or in the Second Ward, would be well used by several underserved communities.  Classic food desert situation.   And, I do trust that Midway is doing all they can to land a major grocery store at East River.  If they were to, the rest of the retail space would lease itself.   But, as they have indicated in the past, at our neighborhood meetings (East Bayou District), the population and demographic numbers weren't there yet.  However, that was a couple years ago.   

• Like 3

On 1/27/2021 at 8:55 AM, Urbannizer said:

Phase I: 

- Road & Infrastructure Construction begins Summer 2021. 3Q 2022 completion.

- The Laura multifamily (360 units) begins Summer 2021. Two year build.

- Office and retail begins Summer 2021, completion Q4 2022. Follow-on phase of retail and office for phase I set for completion by second half of 2023. 

Damn the link is gone. Anyone take any screenshots?