Marriott Marquis: GRB Convention Center Hotel At 1777 Walker St.

Subdude

yeah quite a few hotels and buildings have been decorated with banners etc! even the compass bank building here at on Post Oak in Uptown has a huge banner on it! not to mention we have a ton of Super Bowl street banners on light poles etc in my part of town...it really has taken over the city...and i love it! 

and hey just booked one of my best friends at the Marriott Marquis for this Sunday night in a King Corner "larger" room with Discovery Green view at 299.00 for his Honeymoon night! A group of us with be there celebrating with them that night after 730pm probably in the lobby bar...look for us :) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gene said:

went with some buddies last night to the area and walked around a bit however most of Discovery Green itself is now taken over by the various news and nfl experience venues and is closed off...however you can walk along Avenida Houston and see the restaurants and the GRB lobby etc. We went to the Marriott to show them around and show them the pool deck. Some guys were filming a rap video up there so we got to watch that a bit haha! Then went to the 29th floor since you can look out the window of the elevator lobby area there and see the texas shaped lazy river from there...then we headed to Biggios for appetizers and drinks and really love the many huge screens they have and watched some killer snowboard action on the biggest single screen in Houston maybe. I loved the french fries by the way haha! Fun night and wow our city looks great! Hope to see everyone Saturday night at Super Bowl Live!!! 

The Disco wasn't closed off. I thought it was too until I saw someone casually walk through one of the Live entrances/metal detectors, so I followed and no one said a thing. I was able to walk all through the park last night (except of course for the big Fox Sports area on the central lawn). Not the greatest pictures I've ever taken, but I'll post them up in the convention center thread later.

• Like 2

yeah but tomorrow it will be so it was just a warning since i did the same thing but i saw it will be a problem starting this weekend...also i mainly meant the lawn portion as the ice skating rink had quite a few people skating and of course you could walk around the little lake/pond... :) 

Edited by gene
  • Like 1

Getting around next week is going to be nuts.  It's not just DG that will be blocked off, they have fencing up snaking past the Four Seasons nearly up to Marlowe, but then continuing on over past the Toyota Center going South/East.  I'm not sure if I was supposed to be over here, but the gate was open. They took out pretty much every surface lot for the week.

U1gpKzn.jpg

• Like 6

Found out today that the Atlanta Falcons are staying in the Westin in Memorial City next to my office. Just a little surprised they aren't staying in closer to town but apparently there's going to be a huge ramp up of security in the area and a bunch of side streets closed in and around the complex.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nate99 said:

Getting around next week is going to be nuts.  It's not just DG that will be blocked off, they have fencing up snaking past the Four Seasons nearly up to Marlowe, but then continuing on over past the Toyota Center going South/East.  I'm not sure if I was supposed to be over here, but the gate was open. They took out pretty much every surface lot for the week.

U1gpKzn.jpg

yay the main stage! hope y'all dont mind but i will remind everyone one last time... GO SEE MY BEST FRIEND HEADLINE THIS STAGE TOMORROW AT 915PM! #blueoctober :) haha! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nate99 said:

U1gpKzn.jpg

Going to the Rockets games next week will be difficult for a bunch of people who normally park in the surface lots

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Triton said:

Found out today that the Atlanta Falcons are staying in the Westin in Memorial City next to my office. Just a little surprised they aren't staying in closer to town but apparently there's going to be a huge ramp up of security in the area and a bunch of side streets closed in and around the complex.

Its my understanding they typically find hotels out of the craziness to avoid distractions/traffic. I would not be surprised if the Patriots choose a similar Hotel.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Triton said:

heard patriots at JW galleria and NFL at the Houstonian.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, swtsig said:

Thought the NFL was at the Marquis. 

The Pats in SB38 were at the Intercontinental Galleria (now Royal Sonesta), which IMO was close to the hype/craziness of Super Bowl week then.

The Panthers in 2004 were at the Wyndham Greenspoint, a choice I still don't understand till this day. At least the Falcons will be in a better part of town this time. 

Side note: The Westin Memorial City also held past NFL owners meetings. Last year, vote to move the Rams back to LA occurred here. 

Edited by tigereye
  • Like 1

Went to Xochi last night and it was packed. Surprising for opening night considering they press released it mid-afternoon yesterday as well. Completely smooth opening with no hiccups and food is on par with Hugo's and Caracol. Going to be the best restaurant downtown once oxheart closes.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, gene said:

so yeah i am a photographer but also manage a travel office...so last week one of my best friends called me and said hey book me a hotel somewhere for my wedding night sunday the 29th (last night) since they could not go on a honeymoon until May...this is the first hotel i thought of, of course... so i contacted the Marriott Marquis and booked him the corner king/large discovery green view room at 299.00 for the night.

saturday i was with my friends in Blue October and after they had their Fox Sports interview before their show, i took a few of them to the hotel to see the lobby and pool etc and stopped by the front desk to say: "Hey our longtime friend Ryan is staying here tomorrow (sunday) for his Honeymoon please take good care of him"...the front desk crew loved getting to meet some of the Blue Oct guys...so much so that they said hang on a second...

and then said: Thank you for stopping by and showing everyone our property! We would like to upgrade your friend Ryan to the 2130 sq ft Presidential Suite!" (:blink:!!!!!!!!!!!)  So yeah, last night I surprised Ryan and Amber with my "gift" of the upgrade and they were blown away! They even called last night thanking me again so excited and happy...they also uploaded tons of snapchats of the unbelievable layout...and incredible views etc...  

so yep, I love this hotel :wub:

Any pics you can share?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gene said:

so yeah i am a photographer but also manage a travel office...so last week one of my best friends called me and said hey book me a hotel somewhere for my wedding night sunday the 29th (last night) since they could not go on a honeymoon until May...this is the first hotel i thought of, of course... so i contacted the Marriott Marquis and booked him the corner king/large discovery green view room at 299.00 for the night.

saturday i was with my friends in Blue October and after they had their Fox Sports interview before their show, i took a few of them to the hotel to see the lobby and pool etc and stopped by the front desk to say: "Hey our longtime friend Ryan is staying here tomorrow (sunday) for his Honeymoon please take good care of him"...the front desk crew loved getting to meet some of the Blue Oct guys...so much so that they said hang on a second...

and then said: Thank you for stopping by and showing everyone our property! We would like to upgrade your friend Ryan to the 2130 sq ft Presidential Suite!" (:blink:!!!!!!!!!!!)  So yeah, last night I surprised Ryan and Amber with my "gift" of the upgrade and they were blown away! They even called last night thanking me again so excited and happy...they also uploaded tons of snapchats of the unbelievable layout...and incredible views etc...  

so yep, I love this hotel :wub:

We walked through the hotel last night. It is definitely on another level. Maybe I just forgot that someone had said it already but there were quite a few stores in the lobby area, with Xochi and Biggio's being well connected to the lobby hall way, and the Walker Street Kitchen which I guess I forgot about. It actually felt more like a luxury shopping center walking around in the lobby. We had some coffee there last night at a cafe in the lobby that we didn't even see on Google Maps. 

• Like 4

walmart-smiley-face.png?w=132

^^^ @gene what an absolutely PERFECT / AMAZING / WONDERFUL gift to be able to present to a friend at the time of his wedding... WOW!  however, i was completely under the impression that this brand new hotel was bought out in advance during SB week by the NFL?  i cannot understand just where all of the misinformation just keeps surfacing from regarding the opening / bookings of this venue?  it has been stated many many times throughout the past few months that this specific hotel was due to be booked solid as per the NFL and their key executives/former players/notables.  this property was supposed to become GROUND ZERO this particular week.  there simply was supposed to be no outside bookings from regular patrons until after the SB event was over for this property.  it concerns me that MORE people may have been able to book rooms throughout this venue (during the SUPERBOWL) if it was not for all of the misinformation being distributed via the local misguided media and other HOUSTON FIRST officials/management regarding bookings.  nonetheless, i am truly happy at what you were able to accomplish in order to assist a dear friend at such a memorable and special time in his life.  well done my pal.....

Edited by monarch
  • Like 3

On 1/27/2017 at 4:01 PM, swtsig said:

well its official....the Patriots are INDEED staying a block from my home at the JW Marriott because today i drove to the Walgreens at the corner of Sage and Westheimer instead of walking like a dummy and got stuck in the parking lot for 20 minutes while they loaded the team into tour buses while police blocked off all traffic haha! doh! 

• Like 1

On 1/27/2017 at 3:26 PM, Triton said:

32636868595_65b13c96ee_h.jpg

Westin Memorial City by Marc longoria, on Flickr

• Like 8