Marriott Marquis: GRB Convention Center Hotel At 1777 Walker St.

Subdude

20 hours ago, UtterlyUrban said:

The entire piece was about the pool.  When he says (quite poorly) at the end "...until April that the general public gets to use it".  I think he was referring to the pool.

#BINGO !!! 

• Like 3

I am not as up on what a great hotel looks like as some of you. Here are some photos of the new JW Marriott in Austin for comparison. Somewhat similar project: 1,012 rooms, 34 stories, $300 million construction cost (may be an estimate) there vs. 1,000 rooms, 29 stories, $335 million for ours. The décor there seems a bit more influenced by the surrounding region, and I suppose that Central Texas offers a bit more inspiration for the designer than Southeast Texas. Obviously our amenities deck was a much bigger effort, although they did try with the little Texas outline at the bottom of their pool. The vertical portion of theirs is a tad more handsome and the overall proportioning there is better, although the views from ours are better, Austin's artificial lake notwithstanding.

http://www.jwmarriottaustin.com/austin-hotel-gallery/

2 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

I am not as up on what a great hotel looks like as some of you. Here are some photos of the new JW Marriott in Austin for comparison. Somewhat similar project: 1,012 rooms, 34 stories, $300 million construction cost (may be an estimate) there vs. 1,000 rooms, 29 stories, $335 million for ours. The décor there seems a bit more influenced by the surrounding region, and I suppose that Central Texas offers a bit more inspiration for the designer than Southeast Texas. Obviously our amenities deck was a much bigger effort, although they did try with the little Texas outline at the bottom of their pool. The vertical portion of theirs is a tad more handsome and the overall proportioning there is better, although the views from ours are better, Austin's artificial lake notwithstanding.

http://www.jwmarriottaustin.com/austin-hotel-gallery/

I am hopeful that the snapshots that we have of the Houston property are just that -- "snapshots" -- and don't convey the feel of the place like the pro shots taken in Austin.  The Austin property looks lovely and I am hoping that the Houston property will too (in person and also when we see pro shots rather than just snaps).  

Edited by UtterlyUrban
  • Like 2

Professional shots tend not to include empty ballrooms, which seem to be the very definition of generic in anything built since about 1962.  Hotel guest rooms generally don't have a whole lot of room for variety in decor, either, since there is apparently some sort of edict that all guest rooms everywhere must use a color chart running from ecru to beige to brown, with white bathroom tile to match the plumbing fixtures, towels, and sheets.  (I get it on the linens - they bleach the piss out of everything.  Literally.)

The areas they do get to play with (lobby, patio, restaurants) look pretty nicely done - and suited up astronauts in the elevators is anything but routine.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mollusk said:

Professional shots tend not to include empty ballrooms, which seem to be the very definition of generic in anything built since about 1962.  Hotel guest rooms generally don't have a whole lot of room for variety in decor, either, since there is apparently some sort of edict that all guest rooms everywhere must use a color chart running from ecru to beige to brown, with white bathroom tile to match the plumbing fixtures, towels, and sheets.  (I get it on the linens - they bleach the piss out of everything.  Literally.)

The areas they do get to play with (lobby, patio, restaurants) look pretty nicely done - and suited up astronauts in the elevators is anything but routine.

All true.  Pro shots (vs snapshots) also pay extremely close attention to lighting, perspective, perspective correction, white balance, and color/tonality.  All of those things matter in an image and help define the mood.  I look forward to seeing this hotel in person and also seeing the pro images that they post.  Both will better convey a sense of the place than snaps.  

• Like 1

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/12-19-16-sneak-peek-xochi-hugo-ortega-tracy-vaught-marriott-marquis-downtown/?utm_source=sf_twitter#slide=0

xochilogo.gif

Xochi-Hugo-Ortega-Barbacoa_121704.jpg

Xochi-Hugo-Ortega-piedras-y-oro-chocolat

Xochi-Hugo-Ortega-carnitas_121708.jpg

Xochi-Hugo-Ortega-cocktail_121716.jpg

Xochi-Hugo-Ortega-octopus_121815.jpg

San-Francisco-Nativity-Academy-Luncheon-

^^^ just a small sample of what uber chef HUGO ORTEGA and his wife TRACY VAUGHT shall be bringing to the new XOCHI at the downtown MARRIOTT MARQUIS.  beautiful and ambitious.....

Edited by monarch
  • Like 2

Back on the subject, more correctly:

The menus for Biggio's, Walker Street, and High Dive are all up on the hotel's website -  see here, and the links are over on the right...:  https://www.marriott.com/hotels/hotel-information/restaurant/houmq-marriott-marquis-houston/

And, eeerrrf.... Biggio's and Walker Street better get rid of that possessive form of 'Nacho' on their menus...  Bergh...

Edited by txtiger
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, JoninATX said:

Didn't realize that Mcalisters was going in as well. This Convention area going to have 4 or 5 different restaurants all together.

4 in the GRB itself.  Plus another in the Partnership Tower.  Plus 6 more in the Marriott Marquis.  3 in the Hilton Americas. (I'm including cafés and such).  2 in Discovery Green.  Brasserie du Parc, Hearsay on the Green,  Total in Convention area: approximately 18

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

4 in the GRB itself.  Plus another in the Partnership Tower.  Plus 6 more in the Marriott Marquis.  3 in the Hilton Americas. (I'm including cafés and such).  2 in Discovery Green.  Brasserie du Parc, Hearsay on the Green,  Total in Convention area: approximately 18

WOW!!  It will be interesting to see if this relatively small area can support so many eateries in the near term.  It's a big influx all at once.  Hopefully more residential towers follow...    

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

I think 19 if you count MKT/Phoenician (in the same building as Brasserie du Parc).

7 minutes ago, MarathonMan said:

WOW!!  It will be interesting to see if this relatively small area can support so many eateries in the near term.  It's a big influx all at once.  Hopefully more residential towers follow...    

At some point, a high enough concentration of restaurants becomes an attraction in itself.

Remember also that the Astros (2 blocks away) and Rockets (1 block away) draw a combined 3M people every year. In terms of drawing people into the area, that's roughly the equivalent of ~5000 residential units.

• Like 4

On 12/26/2016 at 2:02 PM, Jeff P said:

A buddy just took the first lazy river float:

An 1/8th of the speed it will normally flow?

I've been wondering how well the tubes will flow around El Paso, but couldn't tell much from the video since they probably put their feet down to stop for the video through the glass wall.

Thanks for sharing the video! Hopefully I can float around Texas at some point..

• Like 1