Marriott Marquis: GRB Convention Center Hotel At 1777 Walker St.

Subdude

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, tigereye said:

Look, they're adding beige to the color palette lol

^^^ @tigereye wonderful shot my pal.  however, it looks as though they still have a monumental amount of construction left to be done.  are they actually going to be completed in time for their prospective first bookings come the end of november.......?

I remember when Kathy Whitmire wanted to build the convention center.  There was nothing on the east side of downtown.  Hard to believe how it all transformed.  There yesterday with a friend from Dallas that grew up in Houston.  He just could not believe it how downtown has transformed.  When to the Greek Festival and had a very good time.      

• Like 5

6 hours ago, nativehoustonion said:

I remember when Kathy Whitmire wanted to build the convention center.  There was nothing on the east side of downtown. 

That's because that part of downtown was all razed to build the "full" Houston Center, which never happened.

22 hours ago, nativehoustonion said:

I remember when Kathy Whitmire wanted to build the convention center.  There was nothing on the east side of downtown.  Hard to believe how it all transformed.  There yesterday with a friend from Dallas that grew up in Houston.  He just could not believe it how downtown has transformed.  When to the Greek Festival and had a very good time.      

Mayor Whitmire's vison was likely formed around 1980.  I would argue that it was Disco that was the real catalyst for this area however and that was, what?, 2004?.  Regardless, It shows you just how long it takes to fix cities that become broken.  Once it is lost, it may be lost for a decade or 4 decades.   To keep a city vibrant, the old must be somehow made new and sometimes that means demolition.   However, flattening half of a city all at once because  you dream of some workers utopia all connected with moving indoor and air conditioned sidewalks so no human ever has to have the sun in his eyes is likely never a good idea.   

now, turn your eyes to Detroit.  Are you 25 right now or 55?.  If you are 25 you might live to see Detroit rebuilt into something fantastic.  55? You might live long enough to see the beginning of the change. 

12 minutes ago, UtterlyUrban said:

Mayor Whitmire's vison was likely formed around 1980.  I would argue that it was Disco that was the real catalyst for this area however and that was, what?, 2004?.  Regardless, It shows you just how long it takes to fix cities that become broken.  Once it is lost, it may be lost for a decade or 4 decades.   To keep a city vibrant, the old must be somehow made new and sometimes that means demolition.   However, flattening half of a city all at once because  you dream of some workers utopia all connected with moving indoor and air conditioned sidewalks so no human ever has to have the sun in his eyes is likely never a good idea.   

now, turn your eyes to Detroit.  Are you 25 right now or 55?.  If you are 25 you might live to see Detroit rebuilt into something fantastic.  55? You might live long enough to see the beginning of the change. 

Discovery Green opened in April 2008

• Like 1

I just had a few of my Convention center update images on Swamplot today. Check them out. 

If you go to their Facebook page they used my panorama of the convention center for a click and drag which came out pretty cool.

Hope you'll check them out.

• Like 6