Marriott Marquis: GRB Convention Center Hotel At 1777 Walker St.

Subdude

5 hours ago, hindesky said:

a0PAWLt.jpg

When I see images like this I am reminded how much "more" could be built on the same block.  Imagine another tower segment so that the tower width runs the full length of the pool deck!  With that,  No need for yet another hotel on top of the new Houston First garage......  would the economics of a hotel that big in this market work?  Who knows?  

huge footprint used but not that much used for "rooms"....

still glad to see it built though.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tumbleweed_Tx said:

rooms don't pay the bills, event spaces are the hotel's bread and butter :)

Probably true, I don't know.

however, another tower along the length would not impact much if any event space and, frankly, would allow even more overnight customers to use the event and dining spaces, right?

smarter people than me know how to "size" a hotel though.....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, UtterlyUrban said:

Online booking will let you book a room for December 26th forward.

Seem like it will be open in 11 days.

^^^ no way my good pal!  although this grand and magnificent hotel shall indeed open upon 26 dec 2016 as has been previously indicated, it shall be completely in the hands of the NFL for SUPERBOWL LI.  as a matter of fact, officials of HOUSTON FIRST do not anticipate this particular hotel to become open for booking to the general public until on or around april of 2017 respectively.  therefore, in other words, the sparkling new downtown MARRIOTT MARQUIS is henceforth booked solid....... 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, monarch said:

^^^ no way my good pal!  although this grand and magnificent hotel shall indeed open upon 26 dec 2016 as has been previously indicated, it shall be completely in the hands of the NFL for SUPERBOWL LI.  as a matter of fact, officials of HOUSTON FIRST do not anticipate this particular hotel to become open for booking to the general public until on or around april of 2017 respectively.  therefore, in other words, the sparkling new downtown MARRIOTT MARQUIS is henceforth booked solid....... 

What?

if you log on to their website, it appears that it will allow you to book Dec 26th right now.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, monarch said:

I booked two rooms for Dec 31. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, UtterlyUrban said:

What?

if you log on to their website, it appears that it will allow you to book Dec 26th right now.  

4 hours ago, ryrohtx said:

I booked two rooms for Dec 31. 

^^^ @UtterlyUrban @ryrohtx yes, i am perfectly aware of just what their website is indicating as i check it out for the updated illustrations continuously.  however, i am only going by what officials of HOUSTON FIRST have been espousing to the public during their media presentations regarding the hotel and it's opening schedules.  not to mention, i also recall seeing a video walk thru with an on-site construction manager / supervisor indicating the very same thing regarding the opening of this facility.  at that time this gentleman was also stating that this hotel would not be opened to the general public until after SUPERBOWL LI.  he also indicated that once the SUPERBOWL was hereby completed, that the hotel was booked solid for a couple of large and long anticipated conventions that were new to the city.  trust me my pals, i do not make stuff up.  i am just espousing exactly what i saw and heard myself.  

nonetheless, maybe MARRIOTT officials have now decided to allot a certain amount of rooms to be made to the general public in the very beginning... for just a certain amount of time per se.  i mean think about it, they may now want to try and fine tune all hotel experiences before the thousands of out of town SB guest start to arrive in houston.  (perfectly logical to me)

you simply have got to bear in mind, that this MARRIOTT MARQUIS along with the HILTON AMERICAS are hereby expected to become the ground zero hospitality facilities in lieu of the forthcoming SUPERBOWL.  therefore, if you were able to book a room or two upon or around the grand opening slated for 26 DEC 2016, you may want to expect the unexpected.  these two hotels are going to become very busy decorating and preparing / constructing for the SUPERBOWL LI and security for the NFL shall be paramount to all involved.  not trying to scare you away, i'm just stating the facts here as you will see for yourselves....

additionally, should you be able to comfortably book a room as @ryrohtx has indicated, then by all means go forward and PLEASE have a great time.  this new MARRIOTT MARQUIS is truly opulent, magnificent, state of the art, and should be very hospitable to guest.  i am a true advocate for contemporary and state of the art architecture, and this place is an absolute gleaming jewel, and a dream come true for houston...... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, monarch said:

however, i am only going by what officials of HOUSTON FIRST have been espousing to the public during their media presentations regarding the hotel and it's opening schedules.  not to mention, i also recall seeing a video walk thru with an on-site construction manager / supervisor indicating the very same thing regarding the opening of this facility.  

Neither Houston first nor the construction manager are in charge of reservations.

Trust the website that is allowing people to make reservations.

It would be a pretty bad opening if they let people make reservations online but then when they show up to check in the front desk personnel said "Ooooh, I'm sorry that reservation system is bogus, Houston First told everyone that the NFL booked the whole hotel through April, trust them, not our registration system."

That seems a pretty long stretch. Why would the NFL book the entire hotel from Christmas to NYE anyway? And further until April? nearly 2 months after the SB is over??

I mean, Houston first may have said that (hell, they probably did), but when you stop to think about it, it's actually quite silly. 

Edited by samagon
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, samagon said:

Neither Houston first nor the construction manager are in charge of reservations.

Trust the website that is allowing people to make reservations.

It would be a pretty bad opening if they let people make reservations online but then when they show up to check in the front desk personnel said "Ooooh, I'm sorry that reservation system is bogus, Houston First told everyone that the NFL booked the whole hotel through April, trust them, not our registration system."

That seems a pretty long stretch. Why would the NFL book the entire hotel from Christmas to NYE anyway? And further until April? nearly 2 months after the SB is over??

I mean, Houston first may have said that (hell, they probably did), but when you stop to think about it, it's actually quite silly. 

^^^ please allow me a bit of clarification.  it was stated that "the hotel shall be booked solid and not opened to the general public until after SUPERBOWL LI.  however, as soon as the SB is over, the hotel was then booked solid as per a previously planned convention that HOUSTON FIRST had been for years trying to get to come to houston.  so no, the NFL did not book the hotel from the SB until april 2017.  i shall try and locate the source of the information that i am speaking of so that HAIF may further reference......

• Like 1

hi i manage a travel office as one of my THREE jobs (oy haha) and yep...Marriott Marquis up and running for bookings!

*HOC* MC C3861  MARRIOTT MARQUIS HO    26DEC-27DEC 01NT 1 ADULTS
PLACE BED TYPE AND NS REQS IN /SI                               
REF      RATE      CUR                          COM CAT GT RF CR
  1     199.00   USD                                   G      
    AT    232.83 REGULAR RATE, GUEST ROOM, 1 KING OR 2 QUEEN    
  2     209.00   USD                                   G      
    AT    244.53 REGULAR RATE, MINUTE MAID PARK VIEW, GUEST     
                 ROOM, 1 KING OR 2 QUEEN, CITY VIEW             
  3     219.00   USD                                   G      
    AT    256.23 REGULAR RATE, LAZY RIVER VIEW, GUEST ROOM, 1   
                 KING OR 2 QUEEN, POOL VIEW      
  4     229.00   USD                                   G      
    AT    267.93 REGULAR RATE, LAZY RIVER/PARK VIEW, GUEST ROOM,
                  1 KING OR 2 QUEEN, POOL VIEW                  
  5     219.00   USD                                   G      
    AT    256.23 STAY FOR BREAKFAST RATE, INCLUDES SEE RATE     
                 RULES, GUEST ROOM, 1 KING OR 2 QUEEN           
  6     169.00   USD                                   G      
    AT    197.73 AAA RATE, AAA MEMBERSHIP CARD REQUIRED, GUEST  
                 ROOM, 1 KING OR 2 QUEEN                        

sorry that is all in code...but yep just did a test booking and i'm getting a lazy river/park view :)           

Edited by gene
  • Like 3

http://www.khou.com/features/texas-shaped-lazy-river-pool-near-completion/341857672

^^^ @gene @samagon @ryrohtx @UtterlyUrban ok gents, here is just one of the sources of where i retrieved my hotel opening information from.  please pay close attention to the very end of this segment of when the KHOU reporter is indicating that "the MARRIOTT shall be opening on or around 26 DEC 2017, however, probably not to the general publc until after april 2017".  i shall also try and locate the HOUSTON FIRST version as well.....

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, gene said:

hi i manage a travel office as one of my THREE jobs (oy haha) and yep...Marriott Marquis up and running for bookings!

*HOC* MC C3861  MARRIOTT MARQUIS HO    26DEC-27DEC 01NT 1 ADULTS
PLACE BED TYPE AND NS REQS IN /SI                               
REF      RATE      CUR                          COM CAT GT RF CR
  1     199.00   USD                                   G      
    AT    232.83 REGULAR RATE, GUEST ROOM, 1 KING OR 2 QUEEN    
  2     209.00   USD                                   G      
    AT    244.53 REGULAR RATE, MINUTE MAID PARK VIEW, GUEST     
                 ROOM, 1 KING OR 2 QUEEN, CITY VIEW             
  3     219.00   USD                                   G      
    AT    256.23 REGULAR RATE, LAZY RIVER VIEW, GUEST ROOM, 1   
                 KING OR 2 QUEEN, POOL VIEW      
  4     229.00   USD                                   G      
    AT    267.93 REGULAR RATE, LAZY RIVER/PARK VIEW, GUEST ROOM,
                  1 KING OR 2 QUEEN, POOL VIEW                  
  5     219.00   USD                                   G      
    AT    256.23 STAY FOR BREAKFAST RATE, INCLUDES SEE RATE     
                 RULES, GUEST ROOM, 1 KING OR 2 QUEEN           
  6     169.00   USD                                   G      
    AT    197.73 AAA RATE, AAA MEMBERSHIP CARD REQUIRED, GUEST  
                 ROOM, 1 KING OR 2 QUEEN                        

sorry that is all in code...but yep just did a test booking and i'm getting a lazy river/park view :)           

I'll split the fee for the lazy river view!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, monarch said:

http://www.khou.com/features/texas-shaped-lazy-river-pool-near-completion/341857672

^^^ @gene @samagon @ryrohtx @UtterlyUrban ok gents, here is just one of the sources of where i retrieved my hotel opening information from.  please pay close attention to the very end of this segment of when the KHOU reporter is indicating that "the MARRIOTT shall be opening on or around 26 DEC 2017, however, probably not to the general publc until after april 2017".  i shall also try and locate the HOUSTON FIRST version as well.....

The entire piece was about the pool.  When he says (quite poorly) at the end "...until April that the general public gets to use it".  I think he was referring to the pool.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, monarch said:

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/city-life/12-15-16-marriott-marquis-downtown-houston-hotel-preview/?utm_source=sf_twitter#slide=2

Marriott-Marquis-astronaut-elevator_1725

Marriott-Marquis-hotel-lobby-sitting-are

Marriott-Marquis-giant-ballroom_172415.j

Marriott-Marquis-Biggios-bar_172355.jpg

Marriott-Marquis-light-fixture_172530.jp

Marriott-Marquis-ballroom-foyer_172306.j

Marriott-Marquis-check-in-desk_172352.jp

Marriott-Marquis-fitness-center_172355.j

Marriott-Marquis-guestroom_172502.jpg

Marriott-Marquis-guest-suite_172509.jpg

^^^ just a small sample of what this gorgeous MARRIOTT MARQUIS has to offer to its guest.  the WOW factor is off the chain.....

Thanks for the photos mon-ey man, HBJ was blocking me because I reached their article limit.

I feel like the Melrose renovation puts the cherry on top as far as views are concerned. That building was an eyesore before, and one little eyesore like that detracts from everything. Things have been moving the right way for us.

• Like 3