Marriott Marquis: GRB Convention Center Hotel At 1777 Walker St.

Subdude

2 hours ago, Purdueenginerd said:

Downtown Detroit is booming in redevelopment and renovations. My company (former in a few days) does a lot of work on projects in downtown detroit. 

I just recently went to Detroit this week to gamble a bit at the MGM. Saw a lot of construction, rumors of a 60-70 story tower starting to swirl.

7 hours ago, Purdueenginerd said:

Downtown Detroit is booming in redevelopment and renovations. My company (former in a few days) does a lot of work on projects in downtown detroit. 

I used Detroit as a metaphor,  but, to your point, I agree, lots of new stuff going on despite many existing buildings being empty and lots of vacant lots were commerce once stood.

downtown Detroit was in its heyday likely right after WWII.  By 1970 it was hollowing out.  By 2000 is was largely gone.  Let's say that a lot of savvy, forward thinking developers continue the trend that may have now started, how long until Detroit again approaches the city it was in 1947? Your answer may legitimately vary from mine but I say "a long, long, long time" --- several generations.

• Like 1

On November 1, 2016 at 9:39 AM, tanith27 said:

Flattered I guess they took my pic from here and used it for publicity.  Viewed 2.7 million times.  Figure they should at least give me a free float down the river.  lol.

Capture.JPG

I noticed that when I saw the segment on the Marriott on KHOUs 10:00 news a week ago (I even paused it on the photo and took a picture of the TV). The exposure was a little different than what you posted, but its definitely the same picture now that I see them side by side.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, wilcal said:

As I mentioned in the GRB thread. Was walking around Discovery Green tonight trying out a new manual wide angle lens (Rokinon 12mm) and took a few shots of the Marquis. Looks to be fitting right in!

Sz7j8b2.jpg

vDxhu6y.jpg

I love my Rokinon 12mm. I use it a lot for landscapes and astrophotography out at the beach.

So I notice they still haven't glassed over the southwestern corner on the top two floors. Ive been trying to figure out for a while now if those will be balconies, but haven't gotten a response. Balconies weren't shown in the original renderings, but if that is now the plan, does anyone know what rooms the balconies would connect to? Penthouses? The top floor looks like it has a taller ceiling, maybe a public space of some sort? Should be some great views from there..

Edited by cloud713
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, cloud713 said:

I love my Rokinon 12mm. I use it a lot for landscapes and astrophotography out at the beach.

So I notice they still haven't glassed over the southwestern corner on the top two floors. Ive been trying to figure out for a while now if those will be balconies, but haven't gotten a response. Balconies weren't shown in the original renderings, but if that is now the plan, does anyone know what rooms the balconies would connect to? Penthouses? The top floor looks like it has a taller ceiling, maybe a public space of some sort? Should be some great views from there..

Definitely looks like two penthouses to me.

Looking at the Marquis website, there is a room type called "Executive Corner Terrace" has a Discovery Green view and a pool view. Sounds like that might be it. 

lUnTtwY.jpg

• Like 8

3 hours ago, monarch said:

^^^ @HoustonMidtown no apology needed my pal.  GORGEOUS ILLUSTRATIONS on a beautiful day.  thank you and happy TG!

I love the irony here; Monarch, the man who with the widest vernacular of any user, who writes a thesis that essentially says "great pic," just abbreviated Thanksgiving. Never change my friend.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, BigFootsSocks said:

I love the irony here; Monarch, the man who with the widest vernacular of any user, who writes a thesis that essentially says "great pic," just abbreviated Thanksgiving. Never change my friend.

^^^ it's all good my pal....

• Like 4