Marriott Marquis: GRB Convention Center Hotel At 1777 Walker St.

Subdude

On 1/3/2017 at 7:37 PM, HoustonMidtown said:

Ate dinner at Biggio's -- what a great space....we happened the meet the Executive Chef as we were wandering around - he gave us a tour of the upstairs area....great views from the patio

31713673100_6d98d95e9c_b.jpg31247825054_5d1be3209d_b.jpg31278540853_169c7f8568_z.jpg31247824274_abc8637dc4_z.jpg31247824014_cba7877590_z.jpg

32049933126_203f199186_z.jpg31940655062_f4fb55b4fe_z.jpg31713672630_2c852ccd8f_z.jpg

Excellent photos. The restaurant looks superb. Maybe I am hoping too much. Like to go there and watch KU winning a bowl game or the Astros winning a World Series. 

• Like 2

Finally made it to this hotel last night. First, I went to Grotto for Happy Hour, which was awesome, then went over to Biggio's for a few hours and walked through the hotel. I also saw Tilman Fertitta hanging out at Biggio's and he was commenting on how Grotto turned out really well (He owns it). This whole area has a completely different vibe and feel to it now which is just amazing compared to what it was a few short years ago. I'm planning on going to Biggio's for the Texan's game Saturday and sitting in one of the upstairs booth areas.

• Like 9

We know that the MM is the game changer of Hotels in Houston and after the Super Bowl it will be THE hotel everyone will want to stay and ask about. What do you think will be the response from new and existing hotels to have that wow factor? Does this force new proposals to redesign?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HOUCAJUN said:

We know that the MM is the game changer of Hotels in Houston and after the Super Bowl it will be THE hotel everyone will want to stay and ask about. What do you think will be the response from new and existing hotels to have that wow factor? Does this force new proposals to redesign?

Really i felt like jw set the bar and that force MM to up it game...Alessandra  really drop the ball it had the potential the most stand out in terms of design and the lobby that started at the midway point offering a over view..but instead opt for a bland design that will blend with GS and I feel in the long run that will hurt it.

What I'm really interested in seeing is what move GHP will do with there Hotel component..

Edited by Moore713
  • Like 5

Drove around there last night because I noticed a giant mural on Marriot Marquis while driving north on 45 (I hadn't checked this thread yet). Had to check it out. Boy, is this area a flurry of activity right now! Almost every single block in that area has cleaning crew, construction workers, police, technicians, etc. just getting everything setup... and this was at 10pm last night! It is truly something to witness if anyone has the time to drive down there... You can't even tell you're surrounded by parking lots close to the Embassy Suites.

• Like 5

if that top picture above is the main stage for superbowl live, then dont forget to go there this saturday the 28th to see my best friend up on the stage headlining that night at 915pm!!! just a reminder :) gene #blueoctober 

• Like 2

went with some buddies last night to the area and walked around a bit however most of Discovery Green itself is now taken over by the various news and nfl experience venues and is closed off...however you can walk along Avenida Houston and see the restaurants and the GRB lobby etc. We went to the Marriott to show them around and show them the pool deck. Some guys were filming a rap video up there so we got to watch that a bit haha! Then went to the 29th floor since you can look out the window of the elevator lobby area there and see the texas shaped lazy river from there...then we headed to Biggios for appetizers and drinks and really love the many huge screens they have and watched some killer snowboard action on the biggest single screen in Houston maybe. I loved the french fries by the way haha! Fun night and wow our city looks great! Hope to see everyone Saturday night at Super Bowl Live!!! 

• Like 3

Just curious. What is the Hilton doing for the super Bowl and are they participating in the fanfare a la banners or promotions. I haven't seen anything from that angle and was just wondering. I'm sure there going to be full.  This area is like a giant state fair in downtown. Overwhelming. Visitors who attended the last super bowl in Houston and haven't been back since are in for an awakening. This area will never be the sleepy east side again.

• Like 1