Marriott Marquis: GRB Convention Center Hotel At 1777 Walker St.

Subdude

22 minutes ago, Montrose1100 said:

More variety in trees? I think the "We Heart Houston" sign should be moved here or Tinsley. Vistors & Locals can snap their selfies. 

That sign definitely deserves better than blank townhouse walls as a backdrop.  The whole time they were building those I had hope there would be some landscaping that would keep the two entities separate but obviously I was in fantasy-land.  However, the fact they plopped them there behind this 'iconic' sign is intrinsically Houston. Maybe it should just stay as it is. 

49 minutes ago, Montrose1100 said:

More variety in trees? I think the "We Heart Houston" sign should be moved here or Tinsley. Vistors & Locals can snap their selfies. 

both of those ideas work for me. 

not that discovery needs it, but it would be nice to keep current with all the new things popping up around the park.

1 hour ago, brijonmang said:

That sign definitely deserves better than blank townhouse walls as a backdrop.  The whole time they were building those I had hope there would be some landscaping that would keep the two entities separate but obviously I was in fantasy-land.  However, the fact they plopped them there behind this 'iconic' sign is intrinsically Houston. Maybe it should just stay as it is. 

Don't tell me you're a part of the "Keep Houston Fugly" crowd? :P

Some statue or central art work would be nice. I know they moved the phantom thing to the GRB, but something facing OPP would be nice as well.

ART-TURF-GRASS-HD81630.jpg

dglogo.png

^^^ forget exotic signage and added accoutrements, discovery green needs to rediscover some green grass...

should it continue to hold up to its namesake.  this is now the month of april.. and this lawn looks simply awful.  surely they can do better than this....

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, monarch said:

ART-TURF-GRASS-HD81630.jpg

dglogo.png

^^^ forget exotic signage and added accoutrements, discovery green needs to rediscover some green grass...

should it continue to hold up to its namesake.  this is now the month of april.. and this lawn looks simply awful.  surely they can do better than this....

It just had this on top of it...

1273657_630x354.jpg

They re-seed it every few months.

• Like 3

I wonder if there would be a way to get grass seed on everyone's shoes when they walk in so that it get constantly reseeded...and then whenever you visit discovery green the park follows you home...

ok bad idea

^^^ actually, the lawn was looking quite brownish even before the MARCH MADNESS events took place.... and we all could see it.  hopefully, they shall enhance their maintenance regimen of this most important aspect of the downtown park....

5 minutes ago, monarch said:

^^^ actually, the lawn was looking quite brownish even before the MARCH MADNESS events took place.... and we all could see it.  hopefully, they shall enhance their maintenance regimen of this most important aspect of the downtown park....

Perhaps so, but they've just cleared out the last of the stuff from last weekend. The grass was going to be a casualty anyway. It will be back.

4 minutes ago, Chi-Char-Hou-Dal said:

Monarch - i came here to see a better picture of the white wall you don't like. Someone post a recent pic

25705126323_6675d923e1_o.jpg

^^^ this is it my pal chi-char-hou-dal, it was located within the convention center thread.  see the white wall located upon the outer exterior of the new hotel.... why??

4 minutes ago, Urbannizer said:

Houston First should install a large digital screen over it when the area is built out.

^^^ boy, you are good urbannizer... for i was thinking the exact thing when i first laid eyes upon it...(what a wonderful wall for a large LED digital monitor for the downtown convention district).  but then i thought.... am i losing my mind....

That's....incredibly dumb. If they're gonna put a screen on the entire wall then what's with the triangular cut-out of windows? I doubt they'd bother with a (technically) 5-sided screen, so there's gonna be a portion of the wall that won't have a screen. There's nothing "architecturally pleasing" about that..

hilton.png

hiltonamericas_290x400_ce3fabb2-ec9c-4ea

^^^ HILTON AMERICAS, is going to have to step up its game BIG TIME in order to keep up with the new MARRIOTT MARQUIS.

incorporating PAPPASITO'S restaurant into this locale.. is a major start to add some much-needed life to this huge facility.  however, 

more needs to be done to make this giant property breathe, shout, and sparkle.  if not, the MARRIOTT property will run

rings around this very quiet hotel.

it needs to get it's groove back.... and fast...

2 hours ago, monarch said:

hilton.png

hiltonamericas_290x400_ce3fabb2-ec9c-4ea

^^^ HILTON AMERICAS, is going to have to step up its game BIG TIME in order to keep up with the new MARRIOTT MARQUIS.

incorporating PAPPASITO'S restaurant into this locale.. is a major start to add some much-needed life to this huge facility.  however, 

more needs to be done to make this giant property breathe, shout, and sparkle.  if not, the MARRIOTT property will run

rings around this very quiet hotel.

it needs to get it's groove back.... and fast...

Monarch, the only thing the Marriott will have the upper hand on is a Texas sized/shaped lazy river. The Hilton is always buzzing with activity. I'd say the lobby has at least another 5 years before the interior design could use some updating.

• Like 1