Marriott Marquis: GRB Convention Center Hotel At 1777 Walker St.

Subdude

I know it's cool the building has the giant Texas shaped pool.. But would have been nice to only take up half the block and added height instead such a wide base.

The large base enables the massive ballroom space, which I think was the primary goal. The Texas pool was a bonus.

• Like 2

@Urbanizer

Is there any word of extending the hotel's northern wing to Crawford St. in the future?

The block it sits on is bordered by Crawford, Rusk, ADLA, and Walker.  The big empty lot between it and Incarnate Word Academy to the North is between Rusk and Capitol off ADLA and Crawford.

I think I recall someone mentioning that block was owned by the city.  We're not exactly hurting for convention space though. Maybe a dual branded St. Regis/W Hotel will pop up there, just for Monarch.

• Like 1

I think what Sic'Em meant was, extending the high rise portion of the hotel all the way up to Crawford Street. Since it looks so unfinished with the exposed concrete on that side.

I had wondered that myself, but it would probably depend on whether the infrastructure at the bottom is built to support that many rooms. Also I think that the foundation and lower floors construction type underneath the high rise portion is totally different.

Edited by H-Town Man
  • Like 1

I think what Sic'Em meant was, extending the high rise portion of the hotel all the way up to Crawford Street. Since it looks so unfinished with the exposed concrete on that side.

I had wondered that myself, but it would probably depend on whether the infrastructure at the bottom is built to support that many rooms. Also I think that the foundation and lower floors construction type underneath the high rise portion is totally different.

I see, I missed that.

The foundation/structure is very different.  They built everything under the pool deck out of steel. The tower portions are concrete. 

It would be a good problem to have if there were demand for that many more rooms.

From Urbannizer's post #1433

1200x1024.jpg

Edited by Nate99
  • Like 1

Discovery green is already quite popular with people - there's always people there.  GRB still draws in conventions and shows, and a more attractive front lawn should make it more likely.  Whether the hotels will be able to keep the rooms filled when there isn't a giant event in town is another question all together

• Like 1