Marriott Marquis: GRB Convention Center Hotel At 1777 Walker St.

Subdude

I believe this a forum for architectural discussion.  If a project no matter how large or small, isn't well thought out, ugly, or down right offensive, this  site allows for the open discussion of the product. Remember once its built were stuck with it and if through these discussions some of the architects think more about some of the most important things in good design and make a stand with some of these stubborn, or cheap, or uneducated developers about good design and the importance of the public realm, fitting into its location and think twice on their next project, then I feel this forum has served a better purpose.

I love the building  but the backside of the podium which does face the north and is visible to the freeways seems to be

unattractive or perhaps a better way to put it is that the other three sides engage the viewer but this looks like they either decided to save money and figured no one would be looking at the back, or they didn't care. This is a building that should have tried a little harder to be engaging on all four sides and create an inviting approach to all four sides. Just think with all of the apartments and 

residential towers going up to the north and you have this fairly blank wall. It just doesn't make a lot of sense.

Sorry if I hurt anyones feelings but this is the only place one can state his or her architectural opinions. Whether we are right or not is for the Haifers to weigh in. I like to think about the long term benefits and not so concerned with just infill for infills sake. 

I would much rather have a slow steady growth of well designed projects that improve the surroundings , invite discovery and make the city a better place to be in. Sorry for the soapbox.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...