GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

I really hope this works.

I am forming an opinion that if, after spending LOTS of money to create this street, significant retail (not coffee shops or cafes.... But stores that you can actually buy clothes, housewares, and electronics in) does not come, I think that downtown may simply not transform into the vision that many Houstonians have. This might be the best, and "last" shot to make it happen. I am really hoping that this effort works!

It will take more than just better "pedestrian: or "urban" infrastructure. Obviously downtown needs a more permanent residential base, which hopefully will happen over time, as who knows what will happen to O&G prices or if central living continues to incrementally gain ground on the rest of Houston. I think right after Superbowl is a good point in time to step back and look at where we are at. 

I think Houston can be a pretty underrated place for visitors attending a convention downtown, a major sports event (NCAA, college bowl game, All Star game, Superbowl, etc), or weekend vacationers. There's quite a bit of stuff to do that's accessible by rail or a 6 mile uber trip (Galleria). We need to do more to make Houston an enticing place to hold those mentioned events and an attractive weekend getaway. I believe that residential population is the ultimate solution to a better downtown, but it does have quite a bit of competition from midtown and to the west. 

• Like 1

I really hope this works.

I am forming an opinion that if, after spending LOTS of money to create this street, significant retail (not coffee shops or cafes.... But stores that you can actually buy clothes, housewares, and electronics in) does not come, I think that downtown may simply not transform into the vision that many Houstonians have. This might be the best, and "last" shot to make it happen. I am really hoping that this effort works!

Since the mods deleted my serious response to this I'll post it again.

Quit blowing things out of proportion. There's no "last chance" to this just because it might not work out. with the amount of residential coming online, it's very naive to think that this doesn't have a shot. As for whether or not it's our "last attempt", well, that just sounds like another conspiracy.

The city had already planned to rename the street a couple years back. I'll give you a reason though, because it's called 'dallas' st.

Sounds a bit juvenile and petty to me....

EDIT: To add to this. This is like the equivalent to someone not going to go see a Marvel movie because they a DC fan or Marvel not seeing a DC film because they are a Marvel fan. Ewww Playstation? I only play Nintendo games thank you. Yuck Nintendo? I only play Playstation games! Star Wars fans can not ever interact with Star Trek fans nor can they ever work together or have characters in their universes because....reasons? The only time I felt this way about any kind of faction was when I was a little kid....because thats exactly what this renaming because its named "dallas st" is. Its a little kids argument. (further this isn't aimed at you, but those who would want to change said name for said reason.)

Edited by Luminare

Sounds a bit juvenile and petty to me....

EDIT: To add to this. This is like the equivalent to someone not going to go see a Marvel movie because they a DC fan or Marvel not seeing a DC film because they are a Marvel fan. Ewww Playstation? I only play Nintendo games thank you. Yuck Nintendo? I only play Playstation games! Star Wars fans can not ever interact with Star Trek fans nor can they ever work together or have characters in their universes because....reasons? The only time I felt this way about any kind of faction was when I was a little kid....because thats exactly what this renaming because its named "dallas st" is. Its a little kids argument. (further this isn't aimed at you, but those who would want to change said name for said reason.)

I have no idea what any of that has to do with renaming the street, BUT what I was trying to get across was maybe a clever name for the street since this is where our retail district will be. Green Street sounds good to me.

Star Wars fans can not ever interact with Star Trek fans nor can they ever work together or have characters in their universes because....reasons?

Well Star Wars took place a long time ago in a galaxy far far away while Star trek takes place in the future and in our own Miky Way galaxy. Mostly in the Alpha quadrant of our galaxy. I mean even when Voyager was transported to the Delta quadrant they were 70,000 light years from earth. Even at top speed they were looking at a 75 year trip home. One can imagine the time it would take to reach distant galaxies, even then you'd have to work out the time travel thing.

• Like 4

I have no idea what any of that has to do with renaming the street, BUT what I was trying to get across was maybe a clever name for the street since this is where our retail district will be. Green Street sounds good to me.

Green Street sounds cookie cutter, like a subdivision's street name. Dallas should remain the name of the street. Dallas also has a fancy glitzy feel to it that would help retail rather than hurt it.

If it were a numerically named street like 1st/34th/2nd, I could see the desire to rename it.

I guess I was never really a fan of the pavilions changing names to Green Street. Sounds so forced.

If you like the name Green Street, would you care to elaborate why? I would like to understand your opinion a little better.

• Like 1

Green Street sounds cookie cutter, like a subdivision's street name. Dallas should remain the name of the street. Dallas also has a fancy glitzy feel to it that would help retail rather than hurt it.

If it were a numerically named street like 1st/34th/2nd, I could see the desire to rename it.

I guess I was never really a fan of the pavilions changing names to Green Street. Sounds so forced.

If you like the name Green Street, would you care to elaborate why? I would like to understand your opinion a little better.

There's not much to elaborate about. The name of the street follows the name of what's being built around it. I mean if there are other ideas, I'm all for it. IMO I feel like a name change would work for this shopping area. It's something the city can promote to out of towners and help establish a focal point in the city to shop and visit. I guess I can agree that Green St. does sound a bit forced. Any other ideas?

There's not much to elaborate about. The name of the street follows the name of what's being built around it. I mean if there are other ideas, I'm all for it. IMO I feel like a name change would work for this shopping area. It's something the city can promote to out of towners and help establish a focal point in the city to shop and visit. I guess I can agree that Green St. does sound a bit forced. Any other ideas?

If the name were to be changed, the usual cynical street renaming ploy would be to call it a "parkway".  

Seriously, I have a hard time believing a new name would do much to change its prospects.

• Like 1

Look at a map. Both Dallas St. and Lamar St. become Allen Parkway west of I45.  The part of Dallas St. that is in downtown could just as easily have been named Allen Parkway. I say change the name. Dallas St. just makes me think of cowboys and boring scorched prairies.

I think renaming the street is pretty silly.  But if there is actually a possibility of renaming it, this is a great idea!

Look at a map. Both Dallas St. and Lamar St. become Allen Parkway west of I45.  The part of Dallas St. that is in downtown could just as easily have been named Allen Parkway. I say change the name. Dallas St. just makes me think of cowboys and boring scorched prairies.

I think renaming the street is pretty silly.  But if there is actually a possibility of renaming it, Allen Parkway is by far the best idea yet!

• Like 1