7 hours ago, Andrew Ewert said:

I'm just sitting here wondering where in that area you're supposed to get a clear view to the horizon

The rendering doesn't show that the structure is actually on top of a 900 foot spire, with a spiral roadway going up the middle. At that height, you can see the horizon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Third Ward group slams Rice's plan for new Ion tech hub amid gentrification concerns

Sam Dike, manager of strategic initiatives for Rice Management Co., said members of the coalition were offered four spots on the working group that drafted the CBA recommendations. The coalition responded by asking for eight positions on the group and for an exclusive agreement with Rice in place of the city.

• Like 2

Sam Dike, manager of strategic initiatives for Rice Management Co., said members of the coalition were offered four spots on the working group that drafted the CBA recommendations. The coalition responded by asking for eight positions on the group and for an exclusive agreement with Rice in place of the city.

If they would have offered two, they would have demanded four. Gotta know how to deal with this stuff.

Edited by H-Town Man
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, BeerNut said:

Why do these guys even care? The Ion isn't even located in the Third Ward, but Midtown. I know that areas was historically considered the Third Ward, but that area hasn't been part of the "Third Ward" in over half a century at this point.

Edited by Big E
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Big E said:

Why do these guys even care? The Ion isn't even located in the Third Ward, but Midtown. I know that areas was historically considered the Third Ward, but that area hasn't been part of the "Third Ward" in over half a century at this point.

I take it you don't live in the area. That area isn't wholly Midtown or Third Ward. It's a transition area that encompasses both communities. 

Edited by JLWM8609
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, aachor said:

Sorry, I just read this as:

"Third Ward group slams private institution for spending money on building nice things, instead of on Third Ward group."

That's exactly how I read it. This area has been a hell hole for a long time, so it's very ridiculous that any group would now complain that they aren't getting a cut. The opportunity has been there. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 5

31 minutes ago, iah77 said:

This is clearly just a shake down bc this group didn't seem to care at all about what happened there when it was a Sears and open air homeless center. This area clearly needs mental health assistance and not affordable housing as no one has been priced out of parking lots.

This group doesn't care what MRA does with all their properties in Third Ward.  They said as much when they spent several minutes in one meeting praising all the work Coleman through MRA.

• Like 2

You know how wild it is to get more than 1 or 2 spots on a committee like that, much less 4, just by asking for it and with limited leverage/negotiating power? Even if 4 isn't enough to be a majority or to be most of a majority, it at least lets you have multiple voices when putting together plans of action. 

The response letter from the Third Ward group, HCEDD is well written. However, the justifications for their request makes sense if Rice was the City, but they aren't and shouldn't be treated as this malevolent entity here to right any perceived wrong in relation to the direction of development in the area. Also, thinking the CBA agreement should primarily be with them and not the city isn't the best idea since Rice says its up to the contracted entity to keep them bound to the promises. I don't think the HCEDD has the pockets to employ the types of attorneys needed to keep Rice honest. Just getting any attorney wouldn't work on Rice, the letterhead matters. 

"RMC's focus on "minority and women-owned businesses,” for instance, is misaligned with HCEDD's goals. Our coalition, which extends far beyond the Black people of Third Ward, unanimously centers the Black community in our priority areas because we know that Black communities will be most impacted by the development of the Innovation District. Our coalition believes that this “umbrella term” will in fact make more probable the displacement of Black businesses surrounding South Main."

Dunno my guys, I think the boat sailed on saying this development will hurt anyone's business like 20-25 years ago, and specifically this part of midtown hasn't been part of anybody's community for a while. 

Edited by X.R.
  • Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

its cool that greentown labs is trying to put together a fortress of vines, saw people working on the little planters at the base of those...skinny fences (lol)?

Its going to be wild to go from all that was there before to this largely green building and the type of trees that are planted on the north side of the Ion, which I assume will be used for most of these developments. Maybe they got rid of the planters and are opting for vine fences that we see on greentown and the Skyhouse developments downtown. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The old Shipleys/Future Stuff’d Wings has another fence up and have blocked the view of the inside of the building by putting paper on the windows. And I drive past this every day, so I know there’s been a fence up for months, but there’s a ‘different’ fence. Nothing dramatic. It’s just the small detail I noticed. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, midtowndweller said:

The old Shipleys/Future Stuff’d Wings has another fence up and have blocked the view of the inside of the building by putting paper on the windows. And I drive past this every day, so I know there’s been a fence up for months, but there’s a ‘different’ fence. Nothing dramatic. It’s just the small detail I noticed. 

Stuff’d Wings is somehow “verified” on Instagram, so they must be a big deal. I haven’t personally tried their food truck location yet.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...