3 hours ago, JBTX said:

Choices look good!

1 hour ago, thatguysly said:

Wait, they are just putting a new paint job on the Fiesta and that is it? It is like when BP had their offices in the old grocery store in Texas City outside of the refinery.

Pretty sure it is more than that. I think we saw a permit construction amount around $17 million.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2021 at 4:29 PM, hindesky said:

Parking garage. I talked with some laborers and they said January start but all they've done so far was run some electrical conduit so far.

Any idea as to why the garage has not started? Where are all the employees of Microsoft, Chevron, Common desk, new retail tenants, etc. going to park in the next several months?  Has something changed beyond a garage for this site?  

I scratch my head every time I drive by here.  There's been no movement, yet we they keep announcing more and more tenants.

41 minutes ago, CREguy13 said:

Any idea as to why the garage has not started? Where are all the employees of Microsoft, Chevron, Common desk, new retail tenants, etc. going to park in the next several months?  Has something changed beyond a garage for this site?  

I scratch my head every time I drive by here.  There's been no movement, yet we they keep announcing more and more tenants.

There’s plenty of movement...the homeless, for one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, clutchcity94 said:

Have they announced what will be in its place after it’s demo’d?

I heard Common Bond was offered the space since it had a drive thru, but this was a few months back. All the recent announcements seem to indicate that they'll be going inside the Ion building, but who knows.

1 hour ago, CREguy13 said:

They re-sealed the large parking lot across the street. I imagine they have enough parking in that super block to buy them some more time until they sign a more substantial lease.

• Like 7

14 hours ago, HNathoo said:

I heard Common Bond was offered the space since it had a drive thru, but this was a few months back. All the recent announcements seem to indicate that they'll be going inside the Ion building, but who knows.

Someone posted the construction permit above and the address is listed as being inside the Ion. A drive thru common bond would have definitely made sense at this lot, but I would imagine that it needs a demo because of the derelict gas station. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Texasota said:

also, like, the red line? I'm not saying lots of people won't drive, but part of the appeal of this location is that you don't necessarily have to. So they don't need to provide parking for every employee day 1, and in fact *not* providing that parking might help people make other commuting (or housing location!) choices from the start.

@HNathoo is right, they paved over the lot next to them and it makes sense since they have slowly migrated the construction equipment over to the garage lot and they don't seem to be in a huge hurry to star that.

I feel like you're already seeing quite a few apartments pop up within half a mile of the redline sort of anticipating demand like this, which I think is purposeful because it helps them market and raises their walkability/transit scores. And I'm not sure the type of people basing their operations out of the Ion are really looking to buy or rent on 1-10 by 99. 

4 hours ago, Texasota said:

also, like, the red line? I'm not saying lots of people won't drive, but part of the appeal of this location is that you don't necessarily have to. So they don't need to provide parking for every employee day 1, and in fact *not* providing that parking might help people make other commuting (or housing location!) choices from the start.

They will still have to meet the city's minimum parking requirements unless those were changed for this area of Midtown, can't remember.

10 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

They will still have to meet the city's minimum parking requirements unless those were changed for this area of Midtown, can't remember.

With as many parking lots as Rice owns in the area, they could easily provide parking minimums for themselves as well as a dozen or more other businesses.

• Like 1

This area of midtown has no minimum parking requirements. 

1 hour ago, X.R. said:

@HNathoo is right, they paved over the lot next to them and it makes sense since they have slowly migrated the construction equipment over to the garage lot and they don't seem to be in a huge hurry to star that.

I feel like you're already seeing quite a few apartments pop up within half a mile of the redline sort of anticipating demand like this, which I think is purposeful because it helps them market and raises their walkability/transit scores. And I'm not sure the type of people basing their operations out of the Ion are really looking to buy or rent on 1-10 by 99. 

...99 Ranch? because that would be convenient.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

56 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

But then they can't develop those lots in future phases.

I was being facetious so as to exaggerate the ample amount of parking available in the area. In reality, the parking ordinance removed the parking minimum requirements all the way to 59 on the South/East and Bagby (I think) on the West. Honestly though, they could have everyone at The Ion and the Fiesta incubator park on the street for the next 2-3 years and still have extra spots.

• Like 1