12 hours ago, zaphod said:

I'm sure the interior build out is very nice, but if I didn't know what was going on I'd say from its external appearance that the old Fiesta was becoming some kind of non-denominational church with a name like "Praise Connection" or something. Or maybe it's a new "Junior Striver's Academy Charter School". Or a Mega Self Storage. Just looks the part, lol.

I say put the money on the inside. This structure's days (years really) may be numbered. There is no point in gilding a lily that is intended to be demo'd for something else in the future. As we have seen with some churches and charter schools, former big box stores can make useful, if temporary, homes for such uses.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, zaphod said:

I'm sure the interior build out is very nice, but if I didn't know what was going on I'd say from its external appearance that the old Fiesta was becoming some kind of non-denominational church with a name like "Praise Connection" or something. Or maybe it's a new "Junior Striver's Academy Charter School". Or a Mega Self Storage. Just looks the part, lol.

wait, I thought Fiesta was just trying out the new trendier exterior color scheme of "paint everything grey"?

seriously, I am guessing they had limited options for the exterior (owing to the budget constraints specwriter suggests), but it is pretty uninspired. I guess everything can't be amazing.

• Like 2

Why all the concern over how the old Fiesta looks?  This will building will have dedicated shop and lab space.  Most of the shop/labs for O&G that I've been to were just warehouses that could be easily reconfigured depending on the project.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, BeerNut said:

Why all the concern over how the old Fiesta looks?  This will building will have dedicated shop and lab space.  Most of the shop/labs for O&G that I've been to were just warehouses that could be easily reconfigured depending on the project.

Same reason as there's concern over how the old Sears looks. This is the face of the new innovative Houston.

• Like 7

The logical intersection it would be referring to would be San Jacinto and Wheeler, I guess I'll forgive a Florida company for that mistake. If my thinking is correct it could fit in front of Greentown Labs and between the Ion and Greentown Labs. If this is actually what is happening it appears Rice wants to get in on the long term ground lease golden goose. The Texas A&M System makes tens of millions every year off of similar arrangements in College Station. I can only imagine what Rice would make off of these blocks.

260064479_ScreenShot2021-05-04at7_34_04PM.thumb.png.59f84189f3aa8e787dbba8f68aef4cfe.png

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, X.R. said:

A residential tower? There?? Lol, if all the people who regularly experienced san jac and wheeler a decade ago could see this now.

I also literally laughed out loud at seeing Party City, Forever 21, and Dicks as the placeholders in that design. I think it was the party city that set me off. 🤣

It was missing “Zone D’Erotica” to let folks know this was a real Houston mixed-use.

• Haha 8

17 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

Related? Corner of San Jacinto and Richmond

https://fisherarchitects.com/our-work/underway/

Houston-Midtown-Rendering-with-Signage-1

On 11/11/2019 at 4:38 PM, rechlin said:

The Chronicle's link to the agenda is broken, because the username and password were dropped from the URL, but the full link is ftp://PlatViewer:Viewer4DRC@edrc.houstontx.gov//2019/2019-23_DraftAgenda.pdf

Note that the username is PlatViewer and the password is Viewer4DRC, in case HAIF breaks the URL too.  The information about the Ion is on pages 140 through 160, and there are a bunch of images not in the article.  Here is the full set of images:

Qx2G48q.png

JCE8LOl.png

I don't see a "central laneway" in the renderings (unless the sky bridge counts), but other than that everything else seems to match up with the initial vision. That block would also appear to be next up for construction after the parking garage is completed.

On 5/4/2021 at 11:22 PM, X.R. said:

A residential tower? There?? Lol, if all the people who regularly experienced san jac and wheeler a decade ago could see this now.

I also literally laughed out loud at seeing Party City, Forever 21, and Dicks as the placeholders in that design. I think it was the party city that set me off. 🤣

I wonder how much space will be allocated to the grocery store mentioned as part of the mix.
It probably won't rival Fiesta or Disco Kroger, but even a small one (such as the one in Target at Shepherd Square) would be a welcome addition to that part of town, especially with easy access to the Wheeler Transit Center and the Red Line. 

• Like 6