Continental Club At 3714 Main St.

ricco67

This is an interesting little article and quite a bit good news for development near one of the rail lines.

At first, Metro and the investors planned to develop the project through a public/private partnership. But Metro decided its money would be better spent elsewhere,

Schultz said.

Without Metro's help, the land would probably have been used for new townhomes, banks or drug stores, Schultz said.

"The opportunity for creating great mixed-use density at that rail stop would have been lost," he said.

I know there was a bit of controversy here on the board and on the Chron feedbacks, so it looks like it might actually work out. Forced Zoning, if you will. Anyone know what other parcels they have purchased in the past?

most of one is already being used as a parking lot by cont club, big top, etc. the building next to cont club has been sitting there just waiting for a prospective business or two.

as for how many they've purchased, i only remember reading about one transaction.

should this be merged with existing thread?

Edited by musicman

Is this the building that has been abandoned/boarded up/graffitied like crazy on that block? if so, that's really great news! Ever since I moved to Houston I've been waiting for something good to happen to that block.

I catch the rail at Ensemble/HCC most days and have been wondering about this land forever, one of those prime empty blocks sitting on top of a rail stop (like McGowen). And extending to Holman it includes the abandoned building w graffiti and the converted surface lot further north.

The architect mentioned: Cannady Profile. To be honest I don't like anything that he has ever done, as posted on his site... although Jones Plaza looks ok, but it is always empty.

I predict the same anti-public/private partnership people will blow smoke but will like the end result ala Discovery Green.

That D.G. thread is classic in the number of about-faces that were taken once the finished project opened to the public.

This is a WIN for the city.

"Without Metro's help, the land would probably have been used for new townhomes, banks or drug stores, Schultz said."

That line is a classic zinger. Aside from the nail salon/Cingular wireless monopoly on strip malls, the CVS/Wachovia/Perry Homes triumvirate may be the most prominent features in non-strip mall development. I'm glad they stopped them for at least 2 blocks.

That line is a classic zinger. Aside from the nail salon/Cingular wireless monopoly on strip malls, the CVS/Wachovia/Perry Homes triumvirate may be the most prominent features in non-strip mall development. I'm glad they stopped them for at least 2 blocks.

the schulze guy is on the board of the orange show so hopefully there will be a little funk in what ultimately goes in.

I picked up a copy of "Houston" magazine last night as I was leaving Spec's. Interesting interview with Liz Lambert, owner of the Hotel San Jose in Austin. In the article it mentions 2 seperate Houston Hotel projects she is involved with, one of which sounds like it might be part of this development. The other, was specifically stated to be a hotel in the Montrose area near the Menil. Both sound pretty cool. I would take Hotel San Jose over a W any day.

I cannot find a website for this magazine - but I was somewhat surprised how interesting some of the articles were - the remainder of it is just silly socialite pictures.

I picked up a copy of "Houston" magazine last night as I was leaving Spec's. Interesting interview with Liz Lambert, owner of the Hotel San Jose in Austin. In the article it mentions 2 seperate Houston Hotel projects she is involved with, one of which sounds like it might be part of this development. The other, was specifically stated to be a hotel in the Montrose area near the Menil. Both sound pretty cool. I would take Hotel San Jose over a W any day.

I cannot find a website for this magazine - but I was somewhat surprised how interesting some of the articles were - the remainder of it is just silly socialite pictures.

what does that have anything to do with this thread?

what does that have anything to do with this thread?

probably this part:

In the article it mentions 2 seperate Houston Hotel projects she is involved with, one of which sounds like it might be part of this development.

but it was buried deep within Futureman's outlandishly long post, so i could see how you missed it.

btw, i read that article last night and i dont even know why futureman said it "sounds like it might be part of that development," because Lisa Lambert specifically says they're planning on adding a hotel on the Continental Club's development; however, the CC hotel is strictly in the conceptual stage. her planned hotel in montrose near the menil is in the actual design stage and is much further along.

either way, pretty exciting for both areas.... main street seems to be on the verge of some real solid development. bout damn time, too.

Edited by swtsig

• 1 year later...

I noced that there was working going on in the abandoned buildings next to the Continental Club when I went by on the Metro Rail the other day. I saw workers coming out of the buildings with wheelbarrows full of stuff, and possibly work in the lot next door. That is a really good sign.

I noced that there was working going on in the abandoned buildings next to the Continental Club when I went by on the Metro Rail the other day. I saw workers coming out of the buildings with wheelbarrows full of stuff, and possibly work in the lot next door. That is a really good sign.

Yeah, this area is going to be booming in a couple years. It's going to get really interesting once the city soon sells their lots where the code enforcement building is at.

Yeah, this area is going to be booming in a couple years. It's going to get really interesting once the city soon sells their lots where the code enforcement building is at.

If the area will be booming-- I'm wondering about that Antique store across the street ---is it ever open? are those apartments above it rentals? or could those be used for other small enterprises?

Edited by trymahjong

If the area will be booming-- I'm wondering about that Antique store across the street ---is it ever open? are those apartments above it rentals? or could those be used for other small enterprises?

Yes, the antique store is open. There are no apartments above the store (I think you're referring to the ones above the Continental Club). Regardless, I'm talking about the lots next to the Continental Club. If you draw a rectangle on a map around Main, Winbern, Travis, Stuart... those four blocks. Then, include the Ensemble Theatre on the other side of Main, along with HCC's central campus two blocks away (about to undergo a lot of improvements to make it their flagship campus).

Yes, the antique store is open. There are no apartments above the store (I think you're referring to the ones above the Continental Club). Regardless, I'm talking about the lots next to the Continental Club. If you draw a rectangle on a map around Main, Winbern, Travis, Stuart... those four blocks. Then, include the Ensemble Theatre on the other side of Main, along with HCC's central campus two blocks away (about to undergo a lot of improvements to make it their flagship campus).

-------i'm glad the antique store is open, that could mean more business in that area but . . . . . . it looks like there is living space above that antique store as well as living space above the continental club-- I point this out because of the potential for other types of business to go into those spaces. And it seems likely that the more things that go in and draw the interest of buyers-- the better all the business will be

-------i'm glad the antique store is open, that could mean more business in that area but . . . . . . it looks like there is living space above that antique store as well as living space above the continental club-- I point this out because of the potential for other types of business to go into those spaces. And it seems likely that the more things that go in and draw the interest of buyers-- the better all the business will be

When establishments are built on the Metro line--are they encouraged to build housing above?

You must be thinking of the wrong block because there is definitely no room for living space above the antique store.

Link

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Finally went to Natachee's and it's really awesome. Can't really explain it, but there's definitely not a place like it in Houston. The owner is very friendly and cool, too.

I recommend you go. Now.

I just started parking in that lot on 01/01/11and taking the train, because Market Square Garage jacked up their rates by 60% monthly. It's $20/mo and you can get your tag at Sig's, which has moved around the corner on Winbern. The debit transaction said "Ensemble HCC Partners".

• The title was changed to Continental Club At 3714 Main St.