On 5/5/2021 at 9:23 AM, rechlin said:

Looking good at night from Wheeler Station, all lit up:

zR3e4Fe.jpg

Nice.  However, I've heard complaints from friends living in the high-rise at Montrose & Hawthorne that the light around the roofline is extremely bright and glaring.

10 minutes ago, clutchcity94 said:

On the east side of 288?

The article doesn't really specify, but there does seem to be concern of rising rents and property values displacing long term, minority residents in the general vicinity. 

Of course, where the Ion is currently was technically Third Ward under the historic definition (everything east of Main and south of Texas). I know the Midtown Management District is active with some projects east of 288 as well. I think the borders between Midtown and Third Ward which are commonly recognized are beginning to blur a bit. 

2 hours ago, thedistrict84 said:

The article doesn't really specify, but there does seem to be concern of rising rents and property values displacing long term, minority residents in the general vicinity. 

Of course, where the Ion is currently was technically Third Ward under the historic definition (everything east of Main and south of Texas). I know the Midtown Management District is active with some projects east of 288 as well. I think the borders between Midtown and Third Ward which are commonly recognized are beginning to blur a bit. 

that's being a bit kind, my understanding is that the Midtown TIRZ has purchased a lot of land East of 288.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, samagon said:

that's being a bit kind, my understanding is that the Midtown TIRZ has purchased a lot of land East of 288.

They don't take care of the lots they own at all and leave all the houses abandoned. I feel they are responsible for half the blight of the 3rd ward. Literally make the area look like crap and then say they are needed to "fix" it.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, samagon said:

I guess the way I framed that was a bit too diplomatic. I had that other thread you identified and prior articles on the subject in mind when I made that comment. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, samagon said:

a topic for another thread, but allowing a TIRZ (and whatever associated redevelopment authority they set up) to buy land that is outside of its official boundary should be against the rules of the TIRZ system.

You can thank the combination of Garnet "Not in my Neighborhood" Coleman and the Midtown RDA for piling up lots of land East of 288. Coleman is vehemently against gentrification, and thinks that he is the only thing standing between the Third Ward and a bunch of new people buying townhouses there. Personally, I want Coleman to just go away. I am annoyed that tax dollars have been used to accumulate several million square feet of land that is sitting there doing nothing and not contributing to the tax base. A quick search on HCAD shows 474 properties owned by the Midtown RDA. That's ridiculous. Maybe Coleman will work with Rice to use some of that land.

https://kinder.rice.edu/2016/05/25/third-ward-looks-to-shift-the-gentrification-conversation

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=112888084

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ross said:

You can thank the combination of Garnet "Not in my Neighborhood" Coleman and the Midtown RDA for piling up lots of land East of 288. Coleman is vehemently against gentrification, and thinks that he is the only thing standing between the Third Ward and a bunch of new people buying townhouses there. Personally, I want Coleman to just go away. I am annoyed that tax dollars have been used to accumulate several million square feet of land that is sitting there doing nothing and not contributing to the tax base. A quick search on HCAD shows 474 properties owned by the Midtown RDA. That's ridiculous. Maybe Coleman will work with Rice to use some of that land.

https://kinder.rice.edu/2016/05/25/third-ward-looks-to-shift-the-gentrification-conversation

How does that even fit the description of a TIRZ? Isn't it suppose to promote improvements within the district? 

17 hours ago, urbanize713 said:

How does that even fit the description of a TIRZ? Isn't it suppose to promote improvements within the district? 

Apparently, by law, all TIRZ are required to allot a certain amount of their funds to developing "affordable housing" and they're free to spend that money and develop that housing anywhere within the county, even outside of their TIRZ. George Coleman has used this as a loop hole to buy up large amounts of land in the Third Ward, ostensibly to set it aside to develop affordable housing. However, truthfully, he's used it in his own personal crusade to fight gentrification by holding land in perpetuity, then deed restricting it when it does get redeveloped so that only low-income housing ever gets built there.  If you wanna know why Third Ward isn't seeing large scale redevelopment, like Montrose, the Fourth Ward, and other such Inner Loop neighborhoods, that's why.

Edited by Big E
  • Like 5

MRA is currently claiming they don't have the funds develop all the land they hold and aren't willing to work other affordable housing organizations.   Maybe they would have the money if they hadn't spent several million dollars on an affordable housing think tank...

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Ross said:

I am a long-time resident of Third Ward and disagree with your characterization of Garnet Coleman who I know and who is my state Rep. Vacant lots aren’t unique to TIRZ zones and holding them for extended periods of time until suitable development is reached isn’t either. Your definition of suitable development (e.g. gentrification) doesn’t override the development wishes of current Third Ward residents who also have agency and some power in the area, which seems to vex some non/recent residents.

Additionally, wanting Coleman to just “go” doesn’t rest with you, but with the majority of voters who overwhelmingly support him. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, quietstorm said:

I am a long-time resident of Third Ward and disagree with your characterization of Garnet Coleman who I know and who is my state Rep. Vacant lots aren’t unique to TIRZ zones and holding them for extended periods of time until suitable development is reached isn’t either. Your definition of suitable development (e.g. gentrification) doesn’t override the development wishes of current Third Ward residents who also have agency and some power in the area, which seems to vex some non/recent residents.

Additionally, wanting Coleman to just “go” doesn’t rest with you, but with the majority of voters who overwhelmingly support him. 

We are all Houstonians and no group should have power to exclude anyone from "their" neighborhood. For some reason diversity doesn't seem positive with your connotations. Under Coleman the area has only gotten worse and can say that also as a long-term resident lmao...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, quietstorm said:

Coleman was my State rep during the 5 years we lived in Midtown. He was worthless then too. I could never get a rational explanation for anything from his office.

Banking 80 acres of land using tax dollars is reprehensible, especially when there is no plan on developing the land. None of that land is paying taxes, it's not serving a useful purpose, and it's annoying. At a minimum, the derelict buildings should be demolished, and the grass and weeds cut regularly.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Ross said:

Banking 80 acres of land using tax dollars is reprehensible, especially when there is no plan on developing the land. None of that land is paying taxes, it's not serving a useful purpose, and it's annoying. At a minimum, the derelict buildings should be demolished, and the grass and weeds cut regularly.

There is/was so much corruption surrounding MRA I'm surprised charges haven't been filed.  They were paying 2 million a year to maintain lots(mow and pickup trash) and $45k+/month demo housing(most lots they own are empty) to contractors with no accountability.  MRA couldn't purchase housing lots at tax sale but a single family managed to have almost every property they acquired bought by MRA for above market rates.

I'm sure Coleman still mad he didn't get the globe building with his name plastered on it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, houstontexasjack said:

Getting back to topic, I’m curious what the longer term plan for the Jack in the Box will be. When the current lease ends, I’d think Rice could repurpose the site similar to the former Shipley’s site (which will now be Stuff’d wings).

Stuff’d Wings is moving in to that Shipleys spot? 

• Like 3

I did not love the Churches chicken in the Fiesta cuz it was either way too fried or under-fried and soft. I'd rather get the fried chicken at 8pm at Krogers that they made at like 11am. 

This is the kind of extreme detail that i come to HAIF for!  

Sometimes the tangents on here annoy me but for some reason this is just mint!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4