• 2 weeks later...

This will completely change Midtown, the Museum district, and Houston as a whole! A tower here will dramatically change our entire skyline, and eventually..... we'll have a continuous skyline from Downtown to the Medical Center! Herman park can act like our central park 😂

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Brooklyn173 said:

On an AIA tour a few months back, the guide said that they were having trouble renting the entire two floors and we're considering options, including dividing the floors up to multiple tenants.

But that 'news' is a few months old.

I thought the plan had always been to have multiple tenants, or certainly to have flexibility to go either way.

Edited by Houston19514

15 minutes ago, Brooklyn173 said:

The two top floors were apparently planned for a single tenant per floor. The question came up because the top floor terrace is set up for just that single tenant. But if they subdivide that floor, they'll need to figure out if/how to allow other tenants to use that amenity.

Figuring out or allocating access to the terrace(s) doesn't strike me as being the least bit difficult.  Per the floor plans shown on the leasing website, it seems the terraces (which are on the 4th floor, not the top floor) already contemplate the possibility of multiple tenants, since there are actually multiple terraces and there are multiple access points to the large terrace on the north side.  Those elements, and the fact that they very early on leased more than half (but not the whole) top floor to Microsoft, suggests they contemplated multiple tenants from the start.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

My understanding (as a tenant of Common Desk on the second floor) is that the 4th and 5th floors are intended to be majority, though not entirely, leased to Microsoft and a Chevron green energy accelerator. And it's more about those companies not being in any hurry to get back to in-person office work yet. Hopefully that delay isn't an indefinite one, but my understanding was that it's just the expected slowness that comes with getting anything moving during Covid. I could be misinformed, but I feel like that's what I've heard.

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Their security company was on site last night setting up what looked like cameras or something.

Multiple caterpillar-type small machinery was being parked as I went by, and they were fiddling with the tarp surrounding the hole in the ground. I'm assuming this means work has started. Which is nice since I think the garage will help tie Greentown and the Ion together, and alleviate any potential parking issues.

Speaking of parking, it seems like the Ion is getting busier, maybe someone who is a tenant can confirm. Driving by at 8:30 am just two months ago had the surface lot maybe a quarter full, but now its like 1/2-3/4 full with non-homeless people crossing the street at Wheeler and Fanin! What a difference 2 years has made for those few blocks.

Edited by X.R.
  • Like 8

11 minutes ago, X.R. said:

Their security company was on site last night setting up what looked like cameras or something.

Multiple caterpillar-type small machinery was being parked as I went by, and they were fiddling with the tarp surrounding the hole in the ground. I'm assuming this means work has started. Which is nice since I think the garage will help tie Greentown and the Ion together, and alleviate any potential parking issues.

Speaking of parking, it seems like the Ion is getting busier, maybe someone who is a tenant can confirm. Driving by at 8:30 am just two months ago had the surface lot maybe a quarter full, but now its like 1/2-3/4 full with non-homeless people crossing the street at Wheeler and Fanin! What a difference 2 years has made for those few blocks.

I've def noticed fewer homeless in the area. Not sure if it's because of the new law here in TX or because things are getting more organized in the district. Prob a bit of both

9 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I've def noticed fewer homeless in the area. Not sure if it's because of the new law here in TX or because things are getting more organized in the district. Prob a bit of both

They’re all camped out on the other side of Wheeler now, under the 59 overpass at S Main next to the abandoned Wendy’s 

The new law is homeless encampments are now considered "illegal." Last I read Houston was leading the way in TX in terms of finding ways to house the homeless instead of just making them criminals. Supposedly cities like Austin and Dallas are taking notes from us to do the same. Not sure how much headway has been made. 

18 hours ago, clutchcity94 said:

Should we place bets on when Hanover at the Ion will break ground? 2025? 😆

Maybe the surest lock of a bet on all of HAIF right now, lol. Its so Houston to discard the Midtown name for "Ion District" for the apartments/condos that will surely follow. And Houston reddit is going to get a whole bunch of posts with people acting like they just discovered Midtown B)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1