8 minutes ago, clutchcity94 said:

I hope it doesn’t turn into the infamous Midtown McDonald’s near the bus station.

Why would it?
Or are you assuming that because it's Black owned and operated that it will attract homeless/street people?

12 minutes ago, clutchcity94 said:

Not because it’s black owned. Because it’s 50 feet from a handful of tents along the feeder.

OK. So if the conditions already exist, how would opening a restaurant change anything? 
A quick Google search shows that their lowest priced menu option is $15, which doesn't jibe well with the budgets of the Greyhound or tent dwelling crowd.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dbigtex56 said:

OK. So if the conditions already exist, how would opening a restaurant change anything? 
A quick Google search shows that their lowest priced menu option is $15, which doesn't jibe well with the budgets of the Greyhound or tent dwelling crowd.

I’m all for it opening, trust me. I own property less than half a mile from there on the other side of the spur. The area has cleaned up quite a bit since the Ion was announced. I just hope it continues to do so.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, jr_jw said:

The What!?

I think I've since heard them referred to as "caps" or "cap parks".  Basically, it looks like the plan is to sink the current elevated portion of 59 between spur 527 and 288 and build over it in places.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.

1 hour ago, Brooklyn173 said:

I also think that TxDOT is saying the new roadways COULD be capped by parks, etc but the design, construction and maintenance would have to be paid for by someone else. TxDOT is not including that in their project.

Everything you brought up has been voiced at the various town hall meeting TxDoT has hosted over the last few years.

The most likely entity that might build then maintain the greenways installed on the caps would be the TIRZ and Management District, don’t you think?

Perhaps , with those two agencies as prodigious advocates  for those green  spaces  the entire dialogue  with TxDoT might change.

17 hours ago, Brooklyn173 said:

I also think that TxDOT is saying the new roadways COULD be capped by parks, etc but the design, construction and maintenance would have to be paid for by someone else. TxDOT is not including that in their project.

My understanding is that TXDOT has included a deck above the freeway in its plans but has not included the landscaping of the parks per the technical team from the City of Houston:

https://www.letstalkhouston.org/nhhip 

So, TXDOT would pay for the most expensive/challenging part of a cap park (the deck) in this area. Getting the deck built was the biggest difficulty with Klyde Warren park in Dallas.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, trymahjong said:

Everything you brought up has been voiced at the various town hall meeting TxDoT has hosted over the last few years.

The most likely entity that might build then maintain the greenways installed on the caps would be the TIRZ and Management District, don’t you think?

Perhaps , with those two agencies as prodigious advocates  for those green  spaces  the entire dialogue  with TxDoT might change.

I bring these agencies up since one of them ( by charter) can build/install things but can’t maintain them the other ( by charter) cannot build/ install but can use their money to maintain things.

So the “ caps” on top of the sunken highways is just that- a cap with no attached funds to do anything else. Mayor Turner spoke specifically on this stating COH didn’t have funds to do anything on top of caps.

Thats the conundrum, IMO, there is great potential   to create  green space on these caps but nowhere to easily get funding.

On 2/7/2022 at 5:55 AM, Brooklyn173 said:

Because they can't, either by lack of explicit statutory authority (legal use of funding sources) or lack of support of TTC members.  There's a difference.  They haven't built such parks anywhere and aren't going to start now.  This is nothing unique, as it is often insinuated here.

24 minutes ago, mattyt36 said:

Only in 1 direction! Maybe they can get the right half working 🤣

Seriously, though, it wouldn't surprise me if some day they do that on the existing section of 59.  Might be way off in the future but that's a decent chuck of land to reclaim for park use right between montrose and the museum district.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, august948 said:

Seriously, though, it wouldn't surprise me if some day they do that on the existing section of 59.  Might be way off in the future but that's a decent chuck of land to reclaim for park use right between montrose and the museum district.

If the city paid to cap it, I’m sure developers would convince the TIRZ to ditch the park idea and let them build townhomes instead lol

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

Any way you can link to the exact statement, please?

TxDoT has hosted meetings on this over past 3-4 years? I attended a few. This is What I remember at that time. I admit I’m not sure if the Mayor has changed his mind this week.